best version of house on sorority row??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, May 19, 2012.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

i had the elite. it was ok, and got the katrina one. I suppose this is the best one picture wise. but it still has weak colors and lots of white specs throughout. so is this the best one?? opinions.??.

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Weak colors? Hadn't noticed.

3. Korngold

Korngold New Member

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The Scorpion release is definitely the way to go. It does have more specs and debris than the other versions, but the picture itself is much brighter and crisper. Not to mention the extras...

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I just cracked open my Scorpion copy, finally, and found the quality to be rather decent. I am probably less specific about technical details but I don't recall the Elite version to be better than Scorpion's offering.

6. startide

startide Member

The Elite disc had nothing. Don't know if Scorpion used the same print or fixed it at least, but the Liberation disc has some fairly distracting interlacing.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Scorpion release is without a doubt the best DVD release of the film. I've owned all three versions that were released on R1 DVD (Elite, Liberation, Scorpion).

The Scorpion easily has the best transfer, not to mention all of the extra features.

I posted some screen comparisons on here between the Elite & Scorpion DVD's. I didn't bother with the Liberation disc since it was just recycled from the Elite DVD and downgraded to Interlaced.

The Elite DVD had a decent 16x9 progressive encoded transfer for its time, but it can't touch the Scorpion DVD...which had a brand new HD transfer. There is much more visible detail, the framing is better with more visible information, and the colors are superior.

The Liberation release? Well, it doesn't have much going for it anymore. The only thing you could argue in its favor is the Dolby 5.1 remix. But it still had that shitty interlaced transfer and a low bit-rate.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

So, What’s up with the new scorpion release of this movie coming out in October? How does it differ from the one that was released a couple years ago, and the one that Ronin Flix recently released? This is all too much.

Myron Breck likes this.
  9. Katatonia

It has the same exact disc content (or is supposed to) as the limited edition that was on Ronin. The only difference is that it lacks the Slipcover and also has different case artwork.

The transfer is better than the original Scorpion release from a few years back, which had a few digital anomalies and suffered from a low bit-rate. It's not as big of a transfer difference as their Death Ship & Grizzly Blu-ray re-releases, but it is better.

maskull and Mutilated Prey like this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Sorta off topic, but I caught this movie a couple of weeks ago on TMC's "Splatterday". One thing that jumped out to me is that I dug the band playing at the party, and IMDb tells me it was a DC outfit called 4 Out of 5 Doctors, never made it big.

The next day, I decided to visit a record store called "Reanimated Records" (which actually carries a lot of horror movies in their used DVD/Blu section, vintage posters, old 80s horror mags, even a decent laserdisc section). It's in an area of town I never go to, but I had nothing to do that day. What do I see amongst the used records though? Debut album by 4 Out of 5 Doctors! Pretty beat up, and a really dumb cover, there's no way I'd give it a second look had I not watched House on Sorority Row the night before.

I love coincidences like that.

[​IMG]

11. Mutilated Prey

Thanks - so, this upcoming is basically a re-release of the Ronin minus the artwork. I will grab the Ronin as it seems it's only available at Diabolik these days?

12. Mutilated Prey

That's fantastic, although the lead singer has a little too much head wiggling going on in the movie - lol.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Last few years I've really been getting into late 70s/early 80s power pop, and this is like a textbook example of the genre.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Worth mentioning, The House On Sorority Row is having a one night wide theatrical release tomorrow night (Thursday, 9/27).

Check here to see the closest theater: https://www.retronightmares.com/

russweiss and Mutilated Prey like this.
  15. Mutilated Prey

Is anyone that bought the Ronin release double dipping with this new Scorpion re-release?

16. Katatonia

You'd probably have to be an uberfan to do that just for the cover, with as many re-releases this film has had over the years. I think I've bought the film 7 times since VHS now, but even I strongly doubt I'd buy it again until it gets a 4K remaster on a UHD release. And then, I'd call it quits for good. o_O

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  17. Mutilated Prey

Yeah, I've re-bought it three times. I actually watched the Liberation DVD recently which is a pretty decent transfer.

I went with the Ronin release from DiabolikDVD for the fun artwork and slipcover. FYI - there's only 6 left in stock there. I assume after that it's over.

Katatonia likes this.
  18. Katatonia

Yet another Blu-ray release is coming out, this time by MVD:

[​IMG]

I don't recall the "Original Pre-Credit Sequence" being on a previous release before? Or if it has, there definitely haven't been 2 separate "versions" on a single release with it included.

Geez, this has to be the single movie that I've bought pretty much every version of of since the original VHS! :cool:

Zombie Dude, baggio and russweiss like this.
  19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Interesting, what's this now it's 3rd blu release release in the US! Who said physical media was dead!

20. sade

sade Active Member

I am more interested in a proper HD release of the sequels.