Arrow Video US / CA / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

LOL - see this is what I mean---I totally forgot about Music of the Heart. Wasn't Meryl Streep in that? I like your categories. I will have to think about this and add mine.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Mostly agree here, though I enjoyed the super meta Scream 4 enough to call it "entertaining", and would characterize Deadly Blessing as "middle of the road" Craven - neither here nor there.

3. Angelman

Return of the Killer Tomatoes is down to 18.99 on Amazon. If you have Prime that's a decent deal.

gobad2003 likes this.
  4. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Like Dvd-fanatic would say "Blu-rays are only for the white elite and the super rich:rolleyes:" LOL this forum cracks me up sometimes:D

Angelman and MisterTwister like this.
  5. The Prowler

The Prowler New Member

I'm with you on that.

Spacevis likes this.
  6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

DVD fan sniffs glue under bridges while satisfying hobos.

BUT I love the fact I can enjoy movies like Ghost Town while he sits there and bitches about that its not on dvd. I used to be like him and I'm so fucking glad I wised up.

gobad2003 likes this.
  7. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Interesting. My take would be:

Classic Craven = Deadly Blessing, The Hills Have Eyes, Last House on the Left, Nightmare on Elm Street
    Entertaining Craven = New Nightmare, Red Eye, Scream, Scream 4
    Struggling Craven = Scream 2, The Serpent and the Rainbow
    Bad Craven = Shocker, My Soul to Take, Scream 3
    "Transcending Bad to Become a New Form of High Art" Craven = The Hills Have Eyes 2

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

No.

Best Craven = The Last House on the Left, Scream
    Great Craven = A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes
    Very Good Craven = The People Under the Stairs, Swamp Thing
    Good Craven = Deadly Friend, New Nightmare
    Average Craven = The Serpent and the Rainbow, Scream 2, Cursed, Red Eye
    Entertaining Craven = Scream 3
    Not Good Craven = Deadly Blessing
    Bad Craven = Shocker, Vampire in Brooklyn
    Stop It, Wes, I Implore You, Craven!! = Scream 4
    I Just Felt Sorry for the Man, I Hardly Know Him = The Hills Have Eyes 2

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I agree with those saying Scream 4 is better then Scream 3- Scream 3 I always found just barely watchable while I enjoyed 4 quite a bit. But Scream 1 & 2 are both better then Scream 4

Angelman likes this.
  10. Angelman

My problem with Scream 3 was that the series had devolved from clever slasher playing with post modern ideas to self-parody. It just ran out of juice. Where as Scream 4 was a commentary on a post-Scream world with post modern ideas. One was a parody, the other was a clever commentary.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

12. Angelman

I agree with Angelman.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Scream 3 is fucking shit. How can anyone honestly believe it's better than Scream 4? Kevin Williamson didn't even write it, meaning it never ended up being the film it was supposed to be. Essentially Scream 3 should've never happened. It's no question that it's worse than part 4. Some people might like it more, but it's not a better film. Even Craven didn't really look back on it fondly.

On another note, getting back to Arrow: I picked up Big Trouble in Little China, Black Sunday, Spirits of the Dead, What Have You Done to Solange, Night of the Comet and Society during their sale. With my rewards points I was able to pre-order The Hills Have Eyes for £5.83 shipped. SCORE.

~Matt

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Katatonia, othervoice1 and Angelman like this.
  14. DVD-fanatic-9

Spoken like a person who doesn't want a reply but a recanting. Is that fair?

When I read your reply, this is what I see: Don't you know how some Scream fans (I'm going to call you and the other people talking about this right now "fans" rather than people who've just seen all 4 films) (some people have seen all 4 and aren't fans) fucking hate Scream 3? Like: we are fucking mad. Still. After 16 years. Still mad.

No, Matt (I'm going to call you Matt, assuming it's your real name), I don't know how some Scream fans hate Scream 3. When I saw Scream 3, I thought it was a downgrade from Scream 2 but I still enjoyed it. Scream 3 is harmless. It's the Scooby Doo episode of the franchise, mixed with a little Sunset Boulevard and Clue. That is an interesting formula. It's charming that it has a thing for classic Hollywood, with dinky little jokes about tabloid culture and Where Are They Now? Did I love these things, though? No. What I did love was the farce. Parker Posey's character is FUN! Disagree all you want, but I won't hear it. Every thing she does is fun. Every scene she's in is good. "My lawyer liked that" = good. "I can't stop rolling down this hill" = good. "Like I'm going to win an award playing you!" = good. "Remind me not to sleep with him again" = good. Parker Posey vs. Carrie Fisher = very good.

And, you know what's fun? This:

That editing and pacing and soundwork is pitch-perfect. It's utterly manic. Directly comparable to the "Let us in! Let us in! Let us out! Let us out!" scene in Clue.

I never said Scream 3 was perfect. I know it has flaws- for one, it focuses way too much on finding out who the killer is and makes one of the detectives a main character. And Patrick Dempsey, the detective (ha ha) is a drag. Sure. And the killer is a really bad departure from the earlier films: "WHERE IS SIDNEY? TELL ME OR I'LL BLOW A GASKET RIGHT HERE, OVER THIS PHONE?!!" If the person on the victim's end of the phone actually acted like a crank caller was ringing them instead of "The Killer," the killer actually would have blown a gasket. Instead, everyone hears the Killer Voice and instantly thinks it's real and practically auto-wet their pants instead of laughing it off or questioning/challenging it like Sidney did when she got Killer Voice phone calls in Scream 2.

But: Scream 3 at least has something A Scream Fan could actually like in it. Scream 4 is the world's worst fanfiction attempt at continuing the franchise. And, yeah, that's ironic considering Williamson came back. But, face it- the guy just didn't have any perspective to write the return to Scream that fans actually needed. You can't namedrop conventions and trends and go, "well... my job is done." You know who basically did that? The Scary Movie franchise. And... speaking of... does the opening scene of Scream 4 remind you of something? Think real hard:

(Oh, and the Scary Movie movies may be crap but "big house- only one phone" is funnier than any damn line in Scream 4.)

Everything about Scream 4 is purely regressive. And painfully so. The characters in all 3 of the original films were in some sense stereotypical. Representative of a generation becoming more and more "who needs experts when I know everything?" A commentary on jadedness becoming an excuse for everything. Technology, the media, and pop culture were partly blamed in the original movies for the characters' unlikable qualities. But the characters in Scream 4 are in no uncertain terms outright assholes. No irony. No intellectually redeeming traits. No context for why we should be watching them anymore. There was nothing to glean from any of the assholery. It was just bullshit for the sake of bullshit.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Haha, well its been a while since I've seen Deadly Friend so who knows if I'll still enjoy it. Most of Craven's stuff just doesn't do much for me.

Don't know if it was mentioned but Arrow are having a sale on their site at the moment. Just picked up The Stuff, Squirm and Nightmare City as they'd been on my wish list for a while.

16. Angelman

listening to the commentary on Return of the Killer Tomatoes. I forgot how unfunny the film was. The commentary is pretty good.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I absolutely love Return of the Killer Tomatoes. In fact it's one of my fave comedies. But I can completely understand how someone might find it unfunny because comedy is so fucking subjective it's hard to argue about it. Plus ROTKT is so fucking silly but it's my kind of silly. Just thinking about some of the gags makes me giggle (such as the wrong movie being played in the opening and the product placement gags)

I also love the original film and wish it would get a HD release.

loutoad23 likes this.
  19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also love the original film and wish it would get a HD release.[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of the original as well. I actually saw the film in the theater and it was filmed in my home town. Such ridiculous effects and a truly terrible song. What's not to like?

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes Insert.JPG Attack of the Killer Tomatoes lobby newspaper ad.JPG

20. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member