Arrow Video US / CA / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was super attracted to the Creepers edition:

[​IMG]

Visually, it's easily the one with the loudest art. I like the murderous monkey.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I love this art, it's how I was exposed to this movie and boy did It make me want to see it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Kim Bruun likes this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was never a big fan of the original art where she sits there like some fairytale princess holding a butterfly while Emperor Palpatine's hands loom over her. It certainly alludes to the magical elements which the film does have, but I guess I prefer the art that promises grotesque, violent thrills. Which the film also offers.

Oh, and sorry for inserting the two images from Arrow's site - they are very big and hard on the eyes. I figured that it was preferable than to resize the images and uploading to the site, but I kinda regret not taking this route.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Heh, it's funny I really haven't liked any of the Arte Originales. Normally I like that kinda thing. With a lot of these editions I end up either liking the cover art of one or the poster of the other but not both available in the same package. And I lean towards cover art because I rarely hang the poster art and can always pay up for an original poster which is "cooler" anyways.

With this one, I rather like the Arrow exclusive 'Creepers' for both the cover art and poster of it. But it doesn't match my other Arrow Argento UHDs which are of the standard variety. None of the posters have the skin torn off variation that caught my eye way back on VHS which is what I really want. I also don't think it ever made it on a poster so this is another missed opportunity. At best the Arrow exclusive has it on the booklet.

So, I can import one of those at great cost or just get the Synapse which is fine but isn't much cheaper.

othervoice1 and Katatonia like this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I haven't particularly liked the Arte Originales either to be honest, especially if it doesn't even display the English title of the film. I got the standard artwork editions of the past releases where that was available.

othervoice1, Zombie Dude and X-human like this.
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The exclusive art is the same as the UK VHS release.

Phenomena lobby UK VHS.jpg

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So we thinking Arrow or Synapse for Phenomena?

I recently watched my Arrow blu copy which looks great. Liking the Arte Original version for this one I think.

wago70, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  8. Katatonia

I think I'm going to get the Synapse set, but I'm not in a hurry to pre-order it. I already have both the old Synapse SteelBook and the Arrow UK set.

I'll keep the old Arrow and probably just sell/trade off the old Synapse Steel. I'm not a big fan of SteelBooks to begin with.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm doing both Synapse and the Arrow Arte Originale. I wonder if Synapse poster will be double-sided like the UK variants will be? My favorite poster art is CREEPERS U.S. theatrical art.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Katatonia

satans-sadists likes this.
  11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I never cared for this film mainly because the plot is too derivative of several other pictures of the era.

Katatonia likes this.
  12. russweiss

I have the Mondo Macabro DVD but this was an easy upgrade since Arrow is releasing it. My Amazon order was placed on October 26th at the $29.99 price so I'm happy with that.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

MorallySound likes this.
  14. russweiss

Amazon got their copies of Mill of the Stone Women in.

Katatonia likes this.
  15. Katatonia

They shipped mine late (some "delay in shipping"), so the package arrived last night about 8PM from UPS... and the mailer was completely empty! :mad: The end of it was open, and it must have just fallen out or been removed at some point. Now I won't get the replacement until Saturday. That's the first time I've ever had that happen with an Amazon shipment.

16. russweiss

That is strange. How could the delivery driver leave the package when it was obviously empty? Typically they take a photo to verify delivery. Was that done for this package? It's a good thing that Amazon had more copies as it's a limited edition.

17. Katatonia

I have no idea, but the mailer was open at the end and nothing at all was inside... it was as light as air. I saw the driver driving away after I opened the front door to grab the package.

The weight of it was 0.80 LBS when it was shipped, so something happened to it somewhere during the time UPS had it. My guess is that it just fell out somewhere in transit. There was no photo on the "Proof of Delivery" tab on the UPS tracking number.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Which is why I pronounce UPS as 'OOPS'.

19. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I ordered a Spiritbox CD from Amazon a few months ago and received an envelope that was ripped open and missing the CD. Those white Amazon envelopes are kind of a bitch to open so I doubt it just got opened accidentally, someone must've ripped it open. Not sure how the driver didn't notice it was empty when delivering unless he took it.

I ordered Phantom of the Mall and Mill of the Stone Women from Barnes and Noble and amazingly both are in great shape despite the crap packaging they were shipped in (thin cardboard with sticky crap on the inside). Those Arrow boxes are sturdy.

20. Katatonia

I think this might have been "rumored" before, but Arrow are releasing RoboCop on 4K UHD on March 29th 2022: https://highdefdiscnews.com/2021/12/17/1987-film-robocop-comes-to-4k-uhd-blu-ray-in-march/

Limited boxset + a SteelBook

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The full tech specs, bonus materials, and details about the physical extras included are all listed below.

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven
    • Newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
    • Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut of the film on two 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray discs with Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
    • Original lossless stereo and four-channel mixes plus DTS-HD MA 5.1 and Dolby Atmos surround sound options on both cuts
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
    • Six collector’s postcards (Limited Edition exclusive)
    • Double-sided fold-out poster (Limited Edition exclusive)
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork (Limited Edition exclusive)
    • 80-page Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Omar Ahmed, Christopher Griffiths and Henry Blyth, a 1987 Fangoria interview with Rob Bottin, and archive publicity materials (some contents exclusive to Limited Edition)
    DISC ONE – DIRECTOR’S CUT

• Commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for the Theatrical Cut and re-edited in 2014 for the Director’s Cut)
    • Commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
    • Commentary by fans Christopher Griffiths, Gary Smart and Eastwood Allen
    • The Future of Law Enforcement: Creating RoboCop, an interview with co-writer Michael Miner
    • RoboTalk, a conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nicholas McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)
    • Truth of Character, an interview with star Nancy Allen on her role as Lewis
    • Casting Old Detroit, an interview with casting director Julie Selzer on how the film’s ensemble cast was assembled
    • Connecting the Shots, an interview with second unit director and frequent Verhoeven collaborator Mark Goldblatt
    • Analog, a featurette focusing on the special photographic effects, including new interviews with Peter Kuran and Kevin Kutchaver
    • More Man Than Machine: Composing RoboCop, a tribute to composer Basil Poledouris featuring film music experts Jeff Bond, Lukas Kendall, Daniel Schweiger and Robert Townson
    • RoboProps, a tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia
    • 2012 Q&A with the Filmmakers, a panel discussion featuring Verhoeven, Davison, Neumeier, Miner, Allen, star Peter Weller and animator Phil Tippett
    • RoboCop: Creating A Legend, Villains of Old Detroit, Special Effects: Then & Now, three archive featurettes from 2007 featuring interviews with cast and crew
    • Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
    • Four deleted scenes
    • The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Phil Tippett
    • Director’s Cut Production Footage, raw dailies from the filming of the unrated gore scenes, presented in 4K (SDR)
    • Two theatrical trailers and three TV spots
    • Extensive image galleries
    DISC TWO – THEATRICAL CUT

• Commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for Theatrical version of the film)
    • Two Isolated Score tracks (Composer’s Original Score and Final Theatrical Mix)
    • Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)
    • Split screen comparisons between the Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut, and the Theatrical Cut and edited-for-TV version
    • RoboCop: Edited for Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, including outtakes newly transferred in HD from recently unearthed 35mm elements

Steel76 and russweiss like this.