Arrow Video US / CA / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They're much more like Bird in that they are more mystery/thriller, even procedural in its protagonist's amateur way, than "slasher/horror." In general Cat is describe as a good follow up while Flies is described as stale in comparison. People also complain about the final clue in Flies but I had no problem with it (it's only a movie). I enjoy the three pre-Deep Red Giallos as they're more "follow the evidence" and less hair brained (not that they're not hair brained or that I don't love the hair brained-ness of his later stuff). I guess I'd recommend Cat first, then follow up with Flies if you enjoyed Cat about as much as Bird.

I also say that because a Flies restoration/UHD is doubtlessly coming. It even seems possible Severin is working on Flies. Their last preview clue of Franco including four flies which seems too coincidental to me; with no alternative explanation. Like they commissioned it then later decided they need to push Flies back. So, they just kept it in (as it would cost money to change) and hoped it was subtle enough that they didn't take any heat. :adjusts tinfoil hat:

It's sacrilege I know but Deep Red kinda loses me. Apparently it taps into some phobias subvertly (like claustrophobia), with no overt narrative. And since I'm not susceptible to Argento's pet phobias I'm mostly just bewildered by the scenes of "tension." I wasn't even aware some scenes are suppose to be taut until I listened to the commentary,
    "oh, Argento doesn't like dead end hallways... That's why this scene builds just to an old dead end hallway and then cuts to the lead leaving the premise without going further. The lead had that fear too..." :confused:
    Add to that the over exposed look of the film and it's not a good watch for me. If it wasn't for Daria Nicolodi's part I'd probably think of Deep Red the way most people view Flies.

I'll still pick up the Deep Red UHD. I've been unimpressed with the Arte Originale versions so far. I kinda like the included posters more but I already own more posters than I know what to do with. So, I'll save the money and stick with the standard LE sets.

othervoice1 likes this.
  2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I believe Dario Argento at one point said The Cat o' Nine Tails was his least favorite of his own films. Dario Argento must not have seen his own Phantom of the Opera, I guess. For what it's worth, I've always rated Cat a bit higher than Bird. Cat has a couple of spectacular death scenes: One on a train station and on in an elevator shaft (with a character trying to slow his fall by grabbing the steel cables!). There's also a delicious bit of irony surrounding the killer's motives when they are revealed. I've only watched Four Flies on Grey Velvet once, and I don't remember much about it, save that, at the time, I felt it was the least of Argento's animal trilogy. For a long time, it was the most difficult to find Argento movie, which no doubt gave it a sort of Holy Grail status - people love the idea of an undiscovered classic.

I will say that I hold Deep Red in higher regard than @X-human - for one thing, it probably has my favourite Argento scene of all: The one where the psychic picks up on the thoughts of a murderer in the auditorium. On the other hand, the 80's gialli are a bit problematic for me. All of them have their strengths, but each has its drawbacks: Opera has that piss poor ending in the Alps, Phenomena has the silly bug cam and some dodgy acting (Argento was never an actor's director), and for some reason, Tenebrae was always sort of a "cold" movie for me - technically impressive, but convoluted and somewhat difficult to follow. I always remember who the killer is, but never his motives. I think, of the three, Phenomena is the one I like the best, probably because it's the most visually grotesque.

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

My Daimajin trilogy arrived a couple days ago from Diabolik. Perfect condition and all postcards included (although as others have reported, the ones for Daimajin and Wrath were in the wrong cases). I already watched the series and really enjoyed it. The first film is the best, but I also found the third very strong. A kaiju adventure with children that isn't at all "kiddie" mixed with a snowy atmosphere made it a lot of fun. Excited to dig into the book and special features. I love the Gamera limited edition, but am happy to have regular cases with a paperback sized book as opposed to a gigantic set with comics I probably won't read for decades.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I just ordered the Daimajin set off ebay this week - have never seen any of them but sounds great. Also ordered the Gamera Steelbook edition of the trilogy today - I have seen them once before and remember they were awesome. Not sure if i want to spring for the older ones.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The Heisei trilogy is the high point of the Gamera series, but I also like the older Showa films and Gamera the Brave. If you're into the goofier '70s Godzilla then Showa Gamera will likely work for you. One thing I like about them is they usually star kids, but the kaiju fights are pretty brutal.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Only looked at a couple of screens but not really a big leap in detail. Bird seemed more impressive I think. Hopefully Deep Red will be a noticeable boot too.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm gonna skip this one.

I wish they also had the rights for "Four Flies", which definitely needs the 4K treatment.
    Hope Tenebre is coming soon.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

Money saved, the only major difference I could see was that it was darker/slighter more saturated in a few shots.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Katatonia and othervoice1 like this.
  12. Steel76

Edit: Mistook for Mondo Digital :D
    Whos reviews about image quality I don't always trust.

Okey, comparing those screenshots, I DO see more fine-details, compared to those on caps o holic. Which is strange.

Especially between these two:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-...y_/large/large_cat_o_nine_tails_blu-ray_3.jpg
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/17/the_cat..._cat_o_nine_tails_4K_UHD__4K_UHD__blu-ray.jpg

It seems to vary between shots. As usual the focus wasn't perfect, when they shot these films.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The picture on the latest has much more blue tint to it.

14. Katatonia

15. Katatonia

It also looks like a few new titles have leaked a bit early today:

Phantom of the Mall Blu-ray

[​IMG]

I knew Phantom was coming, but didn't expect it would get a deluxe package. 3 cuts? Wow! :eek:

The Hills Have Eyes 4K UHD

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how much better Hills is actually going to look in 4K? Did they actually find the negatives or better prints? It's just been a 35 mm blow-up from Super 16 before.

Mill of the Stone Women Blu-ray

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  16. Steel76

Here is a comparison between the Arrow blu-ray, and the Turbine UHD.
    https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=9030&d2=16213&s1=86937&s2=173175&i=0&l=0

Very different colors on the Turbine disc, but when it comes to fine-details, you only get a small upgrade, compared to the Arrow blu-ray.

If I already got the Arrow Blu-Ray, I wouldn't bother to upgrade this one.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I was able to order all 3 today (payday!) Thanks for the heads up guys! I love HILLS HAVE EYES as I remember seeing that for the first time in 1982 as
    the co-feature to Don't Go in the Woods. Didn't find it scary but our little group was on the edge of our seats because it had some good action. I love PHANTOM
    OF THE MALL - I'm so glad that's coming. I have known about it all these years but I only just watched it last year on Youtube when the pandemic stay-at-home
    order started in California. MILL looks great. I love 60's gothic horror and can't wait to hear Tim Lucas commentary.

18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I too LOVE The Hills Have Eyes, and am excited about the upgrade, which, based on the German UHD, could potentially be significant. Just look at the texture of the actor's rhinophyma in that first screengrab. Now... what are the odds of The Burning on UHD?

I'm excited about Phantom of the Mall as well. It's not at the top of my slashers MIA on Blu wish list, but it's one I've never seen, and I've said it before: I'll watch any slasher at least once.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Haven't seen Phantom of the Mall, since it was released on video, +30 years ago.
    I didn't really like it back then, but I just watched the trailer on youtube, and now I gonna give it another chance.

20. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I contemplated this same thing, I own the Arrow Blu and its still sealed. This sealed the deal! :)

Thanks

Steel76 likes this.