Arrow Video US / CA / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm tempted by the Children of the Corn UHD but it's not a film I revisit all that often.

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Great month where I could see myself picking up almost everything!

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch sounds interesting, never heard of that one.

Cold War Creatures: Four Films from Sam Katzman is the one for me. Three of the four are fantastic; Werewolf is "meh" but I'll take it. Funny that some people have paid through the nose to import the Australian releases even though they didn't have extras. The world is getting smaller so it's easier to import but that also means it's not long before a new transfer makes it stateside.

fattyjoe37 and Kim Bruun like this.
  4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Same here. That said, I've only ordered Death Screams so far. I don't even remember liking it, but the version I saw was so murky and washed out, I wouldn't even figure out who the killer was - and that was after the big reveal!

I loved Legend and Children of the Corn as a kid, but the former falls a bit outside the scope of my collection, and the latter I feel hasn't aged too well. I may change my mind and get both anyway. I am also really curious about the Cold War Creatures set, but it would be a total blind buy. Weighing the expense of the set against my recent splurge, I'll take my chances and wait for the reviews.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I liked Death Screams - definitely in for that!

Now, if someone could explain to me why the limited edition slipcover is three dollars more than the standard slipcover that would be great. I definitely like the standard one better. Diabolik is the only one with a price difference between the two slips, btw. The other two sites are the same price regardless of the slip you got.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’ve never heard of Death Screams but it its the one that most piques my interest. Children of the Corn has always been a disappointment even though the score is classic and much of the atmosphere is great. But man, that ending is just baaaddd. It totally falls apart and never recovers, and the sequels are even worse. Kudos for them releasing a box set, but it is definitely NOT for me.

7. Mutilated Prey

Alternative title we all grew up on with VHS was House of Death.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Never seen Snake Girl and the Silver Haired Witch but the poster makes it appear rather cheesy. No doubt I'll be picking up a copy.

Snake Girl and the Silver Haired Witch Japanese 2-sheet photo only.jpg

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had the House Of Death VHS as well, but there was also a VHS release as Death Screams using artwork similar to that graveyard/mouth cover on the Arrow release. However, while the original artwork featured a shirtless male hanging upside down, Arrow opted to go for a topless woman this time. Which comes off as moderately homophobic on their part, but I guess the Arrow-demo like their boobies. Whatever'll move a few extra copies.

The exclusive white slipcover with the woman screaming was the theatrical art. I have a poster of it. I've also been to Bridges BBQ in Shelby, NC, which was used as the diner where Ramona works (and narrowly dodges a machete).

Love this movie. Really excited it's coming to blu. Fans of The Mutilator and Blood Rage will dig it.

Body Boy, x666x and Mutilated Prey like this.
  10. Mutilated Prey

AH - that's right! It was originally a dood, and now it a girl - wtf?!

I wonder if the limited original one sheet slipcover will have the same shirtless girl on the inside? Or the original guy hanging upside down? I still kinda like the "mouth window" slip better, but you may asking for those teeth to get randomly caught on other stuff in your collection and tearing - lol.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ My favorite artwork has always been the House Of Death VHS artwork with the window and the machete. Would have loved for that to be the reverse, but I'm thinking it won't be included at all.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  12. Mutilated Prey

Ideally, you have the one sheet slipcover, original house of death guy upside down and then the machete in the broken window reversible.

I guess I have to go with the originals one sheet slip and assume house of death guy/girl upside down with be on the inside.

Do we think the standard girl upside down slip will just be around forever and possibly price drop one day?

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yes! House of Death (aka Death Screams) is an awesome slasher! Not I can sell my VHS copy off!

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Still doesn’t ring a bell. It’s a very generic horror movie title.

15. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I don't think it's so much moderately homophobic as it's just Arrow catering to wrestlemania men that like "tits and gore". If the original artist or a high res of original painting were available I am sure Arrow would have used it. I am happy that they brought it out in some form, but the man works much better. The woman feels a bit out of place.

SilentScreams and Mutilated Prey like this.
  17. Mutilated Prey

Why does Arrow call this Death Screams limited slip an "O-Card"? Simply because you can slide the jewel case out of either end? Who cares? The other standard one doesn't?

I really wish the mouth standard slip was inside the limited O-Card so you had both. I'm having an internal struggle on which to get - lol.

18. Mutilated Prey

I agree. Is it possible there was some legal issue using that original artwork so they just mimiced it best they could? If it really just for tits and ass then that's lame. She still has her bra on - I mean cmon guy! lol

19. Mutilated Prey

Well, the limited Death Screams O-Card is already sold out from Diabolik, so that was enough for me to run and grab it from Grindhouse Video.

Katatonia likes this.
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

LOL, damn that was fast. Glad I ordered it yesterday.

It' aslo available at Zavvi US if Grindhouse sells out and someone's looking for it.

Mutilated Prey likes this.