Army of the Dead (2021) Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Feb 25, 2021.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Fuck me really!!!! Sound like he and Quentin need to go to the school for editing!!!! ;)

Cooperkill likes this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yet some are fine with the 139 min version of Dawn of the Dead ;)

Honestly, I have no problems with a long running time, as long as it’s good and it doesn’t move at a snails pace.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Netflix just uploaded the first 15 minutes of the film to their Youtube channel for those interested.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

At least it's on NetFlix, so you can break it up into two viewings. I probably wouldn't be interested in this movie otherwise. Looks like generic zombie fare.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

My wife told me about this, she's really excited for the movie, she said 'shall we watch it?' my response was 'fuck off, the movies out tomorrow'!! She groaned but knew I was right to wait.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

What's going on? I thought it was out today? I've checked Netflix for the wife and it says 21st May? I told my wife and she thought I was trolling her. Had to take her to the screen to prove it!!!!

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's the limited theatrical release today.

hots4 likes this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I was going to say I thought it didn't release till later this month. Would have been nice to have it out this weekend though.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

I split it into two parts due to the excessive running time. Watched the first chunk this morning, and still have 1 hr 5 mins left according to the counter (they just got to the vault).

I should probably reserve judgement until I'm done, but so far... it's pretty bad. I mean, it's harmless and being NetFlix, all I have to do is push a button on the remote. But if you're expecting a Romero-esque $90 million zombie epic from the director of that latest comic book thingy that the superhero fans are still cleaning up their spooge over, then you are in for quite a shock. This is of the caliber of a bad Resident Evil sequel, probably even a few notches below that. It certainly doesn't earn it's running time, as there is already enough in what I've seen that could have been cut to bring it under 2 hours.

The cast in particular is especially awful. The worst by far is the guy who played Dieter. Lilly is pretty bad too. They shouldn't have made such a big spectacle of replacing the rapist guy and just quietly done it, because Tig Notaro is extremely distracting. Her scenes were done via green screen after the fact and without the rest of the cast, so all of her line deliveries are about 10 octaves higher than the rest of the dialogue in the movie. You'd think someone like Snyder could get a somewhat decent cast together.

Lower your expectations considerably. There's definitely worse zombie movies out there, but for $90 million there is really no excuse for the movie to be this bad. Who knows though, I still have an hour left, so maybe the finale will blow me away? I'm not optimistic.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

That's disappointing to hear.

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've seem it all the way through and I got to say I enjoyed it. Is it a classic, no. But it's fun and for me definitely better than the shit Resident Evil sequels.

It felt to me like planet of the apes but with zombies and I was ok with that. Some of the gore is great, some of the CGI is bad. I fucking loved the tiger and it's main scene was bad ass. And the nods to American werewolf made me smile.

So I'm happy all in all, I enjoyed the story for what it was and it was nice to see a big zombie production for a change, so fair play for netflix for financing it, I don't think we would have had this or anything at this scale from any of the other studios.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

It's not bad. Definitely has some fun ideas. The characters and performances are good. Tig Notaro really elevated the film considerably. But, on a whole, I just wasn't engaged as much as I expected. The thrills were acceptable, but middling. The gore, with the exception of the final act, was rather conventional and mostly resolved for extra squishy John Wick action. The Alpha Zombies started to wear on me and ended up turning it into more of a superhero dynamic than i would have liked. And, while the plot isn't a mess, it does really stretch plausibility numerous times. If anything, it mostly came off as a really well done and more coherent one of the early Resident Evil movies.

13. CPT HOOK

It did not blow me away.

Also, this is one of those movies where they do a 20 minute countdown that goes on for about 45 minutes.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Wow, you and I must have watched entirely different movies then because I had a blast with Army of the Dead. It's the best zombie film I've seen in a long while and does a lot of different things that subverted my expectations.
    Sure it doesn't always make sense and at the end probably asks a little too much of the viewer to suspend disbelief. But it had this cool Sci-fi, comic book feel to it that I just had a blast with.

I saw it with a friend but wouldn't mind checking out again soon with the wife.

buck135 likes this.
  15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My wife and I watched it last night and we really enjoyed it. I wonder if the film would have received less negativity if any other person directed it.

Zombie Dude and Myron Breck like this.
  16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I was thinking the same thing, as I sat there enjoying the shit out of it. I honestly don't know what people were expecting.

Zombie Dude and buck135 like this.
  17. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I for one don't care who directed it. If it wasn't for fanboys recently geeking out over a less shitty version of one of his movies I might not even recognize his name. That said:

This movie blows. It's way too long and features nothing that hasn't been done before. I don't mind long movies (I recently watched The Deer Hunter which is a three hour breeze) but there's nothing here that warrants the length. It's just another zombie movie that doesn't know when to end... IMHO. I'm reminded of I Spit on Your Grave: Deja Vu, another 140+ minute movie that has no business lasting so long.

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Generic and too long, but I’ve seen worse. Had moments that were lifted almost verbatim from American Werewolf and Miracle Mile, and probably others that I missed while looking at my phone. But I liked the concept over all, it should have tried harder to not follow cookie cutter instructions on how to construct an action film.

Colin and ImmortalSlasher like this.
  19. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Never heard of Miracle Mile before. I'll check that out.

I think Snyder has become one of those directors that when you hear his name it's either a screaming yes because you are a fan or a dreaded oh no because you know what to expect.

20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I really liked Snyder's Dawn of the Dead but nothing else by him. That said, this film is a bit of a reach. Like others here, the tip off right from the start was the run time. It has its violence, but would have been a nicer, tighter 90min film. The attempt at drama drags this outing. A lot of the Dawn remake redone here. Right from the beginning lounge music by "that guy" who does lounge covers of songs. There is also a rip off of the Platoon theme song because why? Yet another movie trying to please everyone.

Honesty, it feels like an expensive knock off of the Dawn remake and other non Snyder movies like Aliens. But no heart. A Porsche with a KIA engine under the hood.

Last edited: May 24, 2021