Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There was a brief fist fight/death at the end of the first act but that was it, the rest was just talking. Interesting as it had a relatively good budget with large sets. They could have done SOMETHING with it. Still it was alright, but in a 40's sci-fi way. As a short story "what if" it had its moments but not as a feature length film. It was also pretty outdated even by 1962's standards. By today's standards it's incredibly naive.
    It also had kind of a funny outcome if you take it as a mixed metaphor about racism. The Nazi finds out he's a Jew and is OK with it. In fact now he thinks everyone will be better off as Jews. :confused:
    It must have been part of a package if Sven showed it at all and was so openly disparaging of it.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I missed the email and it plum flew out of my head:

September
    9/04 War of the Colossal Beast (1958) - The Colossal Man returns!
    9/11 Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953) - Boris Karloff VS Bud and Lou!
    9/18 Dracula (1931) - Yes, the Bela Lugosi classic!
    9/25 Blood of Dracula (1957) - A female teen gets fangy!

Kind of a fun month. Colossal Man is fun. Karloff's always fun. I'm an apologist for Dracula so that's also a recommend. I think the performances of all the actors besides Manners make this worth watching. I'm fuzzy on Blood of Dracula but I recall it being better than average for AIP.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It will be all Frankenstein films for October. Seems to be mostly Universal, but I could be wrong.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Amazingly yes! Frankenstein Meets the Spacemonster on 10/30 isn't a Universal but the rest are. An official list has not yet come out (I'll post it when it has) so I'm not sure where the other sources are getting their info but my own cable guide can at least confirm the first Sven in October is a Frankenstein.

A remarkable scheduling! As I've said previously it seems like Sven avoids all but one horror in the month of October; I suppose because they're more expensive in Oct. Perhaps shooting at home for two years have saved them a penny or two so he's blowing his load in October? In any event great news!

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Sven announced the schedule towards the end of Blood of Dracula on Saturday. He briefly showed the dates and titles.

And yeah, I saw the Spacemonster movie and I confused it with the Hammer entry Monster from Hell, that's why I mentioned I didn't think they were all Universals.

X-human likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

October
    10/02 Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - ‘Nuff said!

10/09 Frankenstein (1931) - The Boris Karloff classic!
    10/16 Son of Frankenstein (1939) - Introducing Bela as Ygor!
    10/23 House of Frankenstein (1944) - Boris back in a Monster Mash!
    10/30 Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster (1965) - What?!

This October's a Frank'en big month with five Saturdays!

All choice Universals with even Karloff in House and Lugosi in Meet making it nearly 1:1 (nearly... well 3:2 but what 'evs).

I don't think I've seen Meets the Space Monster. So that'll be a treat and an indication that a Blu-ray is in the works somewhere if we get a HD transfer.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I watched bits and pieces of Son of Frankenstein.

Now, Sven said because of the length of the movie he was limiting his intrusions. But I looked at IMDb and they list Son as being 99 minutes long! Even without a single Sven break, that means a 99 minute movie in a 120 minute slot. There's NO WAY Me-TV would air just 10 minutes of commercials in an hour.

Was Son of Frankenstein cut, or maybe sped up for time? If so, it's a real shame.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It seemed to me that between a few commercial breaks good chunks of the movie were trimmed. When they cut back once and Basil was finishing a conversation with Atwill that hadn't even begun before the commercial break.

It is a shame because it's so well executed that there's not much to cut without losing some sort of enjoyment out of the performances of which this is one of the best for all concerned: Rathbone, Atwill, Karloff and Lugosi.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

November
    06 Munster, Go Home! (1966) - Another much-requested favorite!
    13 Indestructible Man (1956) - Lon Chaney Jr. zapped back to life!
    20 King Kong vs. Godzilla ( Kingu Kongu tai Gojira ) (1962) - Nuff said!
    27 The Devil's Rain (1975) - Ernest Borgnine and William Shatner!

As we all know, Thanksgiving means King Kong, so this works out great for me since I watch the local Saturday morning broadcasts a week later so I'll see KKvGZ right after Thanksgiving.

Also, The Devil's Rain is a more modern choice giving us a little more "horror" horror. It's been awhile since I've seen it but I recall being impressed by it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've actually never seen Devil's Rain before...definitely not the usual goofy stuff Sven plays, I'll be in for that.

King Kong vs. Godzilla features both Bond girls from You Only Live Twice, hope Sven talks a little more about that.