Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There was a brief fist fight/death at the end of the first act but that was it, the rest was just talking. Interesting as it had a relatively good budget with large sets. They could have done SOMETHING with it. Still it was alright, but in a 40's sci-fi way. As a short story "what if" it had its moments but not as a feature length film. It was also pretty outdated even by 1962's standards. By today's standards it's incredibly naive.
    It also had kind of a funny outcome if you take it as a mixed metaphor about racism. The Nazi finds out he's a Jew and is OK with it. In fact now he thinks everyone will be better off as Jews. :confused:
    It must have been part of a package if Sven showed it at all and was so openly disparaging of it.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I missed the email and it plum flew out of my head:

September
    9/04 War of the Colossal Beast (1958) - The Colossal Man returns!
    9/11 Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953) - Boris Karloff VS Bud and Lou!
    9/18 Dracula (1931) - Yes, the Bela Lugosi classic!
    9/25 Blood of Dracula (1957) - A female teen gets fangy!

Kind of a fun month. Colossal Man is fun. Karloff's always fun. I'm an apologist for Dracula so that's also a recommend. I think the performances of all the actors besides Manners make this worth watching. I'm fuzzy on Blood of Dracula but I recall it being better than average for AIP.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It will be all Frankenstein films for October. Seems to be mostly Universal, but I could be wrong.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Amazingly yes! Frankenstein Meets the Spacemonster on 10/30 isn't a Universal but the rest are. An official list has not yet come out (I'll post it when it has) so I'm not sure where the other sources are getting their info but my own cable guide can at least confirm the first Sven in October is a Frankenstein.

A remarkable scheduling! As I've said previously it seems like Sven avoids all but one horror in the month of October; I suppose because they're more expensive in Oct. Perhaps shooting at home for two years have saved them a penny or two so he's blowing his load in October? In any event great news!

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Sven announced the schedule towards the end of Blood of Dracula on Saturday. He briefly showed the dates and titles.

And yeah, I saw the Spacemonster movie and I confused it with the Hammer entry Monster from Hell, that's why I mentioned I didn't think they were all Universals.

X-human likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

October
    10/02 Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - ‘Nuff said!

10/09 Frankenstein (1931) - The Boris Karloff classic!
    10/16 Son of Frankenstein (1939) - Introducing Bela as Ygor!
    10/23 House of Frankenstein (1944) - Boris back in a Monster Mash!
    10/30 Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster (1965) - What?!

This October's a Frank'en big month with five Saturdays!

All choice Universals with even Karloff in House and Lugosi in Meet making it nearly 1:1 (nearly... well 3:2 but what 'evs).

I don't think I've seen Meets the Space Monster. So that'll be a treat and an indication that a Blu-ray is in the works somewhere if we get a HD transfer.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I watched bits and pieces of Son of Frankenstein.

Now, Sven said because of the length of the movie he was limiting his intrusions. But I looked at IMDb and they list Son as being 99 minutes long! Even without a single Sven break, that means a 99 minute movie in a 120 minute slot. There's NO WAY Me-TV would air just 10 minutes of commercials in an hour.

Was Son of Frankenstein cut, or maybe sped up for time? If so, it's a real shame.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It seemed to me that between a few commercial breaks good chunks of the movie were trimmed. When they cut back once and Basil was finishing a conversation with Atwill that hadn't even begun before the commercial break.

It is a shame because it's so well executed that there's not much to cut without losing some sort of enjoyment out of the performances of which this is one of the best for all concerned: Rathbone, Atwill, Karloff and Lugosi.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

November
    06 Munster, Go Home! (1966) - Another much-requested favorite!
    13 Indestructible Man (1956) - Lon Chaney Jr. zapped back to life!
    20 King Kong vs. Godzilla ( Kingu Kongu tai Gojira ) (1962) - Nuff said!
    27 The Devil's Rain (1975) - Ernest Borgnine and William Shatner!

As we all know, Thanksgiving means King Kong, so this works out great for me since I watch the local Saturday morning broadcasts a week later so I'll see KKvGZ right after Thanksgiving.

Also, The Devil's Rain is a more modern choice giving us a little more "horror" horror. It's been awhile since I've seen it but I recall being impressed by it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've actually never seen Devil's Rain before...definitely not the usual goofy stuff Sven plays, I'll be in for that.

King Kong vs. Godzilla features both Bond girls from You Only Live Twice, hope Sven talks a little more about that.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, wow. The Devil's Rain. Totally unlike what Sven normally shows.

I think if I'd seen that when it came out (I'd have been 8) it would scare the ever loving shit out of me. Today, I was just confused by it. I don't know if it's because Sven took out some scenes for time or what, but it didn't make a bit of sense. Still, some nasty stuff there. And as Travolta was rescuing "the book", I was making a lot of Dianetics jokes, but I think Sven was wise to not go there.

No full December schedule yet, but they're starting off with a rerun of The Crawling Eye on Saturday.

X-human likes this.
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, I don't know what they might have cut from Devil's Rain as it's been awhile since I've seen it. I recall it not making a lot of sense anyways but still entertaining enough.

Crawling Eye and How to Make a Monster are on the schedule so far. The newsletter should be coming out on Wednesday with the full schedule. Sven will be airing on Christmas Day so I'm hoping for Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. I have a VHS of it but a new digital master would be great. I get it over the air which I've noticed is far better quality HD than the cable broadcast. So I might look into recording that somehow/someway.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

December Sven
    12/04 The Crawling Eye ( The Trollenberg Terror ) (1958)
    12/11 How to Make a Monster (1958)
    12/18 The Undead (1957)
    12/25 Earth vs. the Spider (1958)

So, with the re-play of the last week's episode Saturdays at 11am in Chicagoland, that means on Christmas Morning, snuggled up around the Yule tree with all our joy and good will abound, we'll be watching The Undead which is set on Walpurgis Night... If that's not counter programming I don't know what is. :D

Merry Christmas!
    [​IMG]

Anyways, quite the grouping there between 1957 and 1958. All replays but then I assume Saturday nights in December have to compete with boring old family gatherings, last minute shopping, etc.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sorry to any Beast from 20k Fathoms fans if I'm too late tonight:

January 2022
    01/01 The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) - A Harryhausen prehistoric fright!
    01/08 Frogs (1972) - Sam Elliot and Ray Milland vs nature!
    01/15 Tarantula (1955) - ANOTHER big spider!
    01/22 Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) - More Harryhausen!
    01/29 The Haunted Strangler (1958) - The great Karloff!

Two Harryhausen flicks so that's a fine start to 2022. I haven't seen a few of these for awhile so I'll enjoy watching them again.

Cheers!

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

February
    02/05 It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) - A stowaway from Mars!
    02/12 Revenge of the Creature (1955) - The Gill-man returns!
    02/19 Attack of the Puppet People (1958) - A ‘50s classic!
    02/26 Devil Doll (1964) - He’s no puppet, people!

Devil Doll again! For those who haven't seen it, it's probably the most wrist-slitting depressing killer doll film every made. A true wonder to behold.

I don't think I've seen Attack of the Puppet People so I'll be enjoying that too.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, Devil Doll is a repeat, but a particularly nasty film for it's time, I'll be watching it again.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep, I just want to make clear to those unaware that it's not "nasty" in a gory kinda way. Just in a man's inhumanity to man kinda way. Like The Brain That Wouldn't Die with all the sloppy gore cut out.

There's just a dim view of humanity in Devil Doll.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

March 2022
    03/05 Dracula’s Daughter (1936) - The first “sequel” to “Dracula”!
    03/12 Son of Dracula (1943) - Lon Chaney Jr. as the Count!
    03/19 The Ghoul (1933) - Boris Karloff!
    03/26 Beast with Five Fingers (1946) - Give Peter Lorre a hand!

Golden oldies here! Son of Dracula's kinda underrated as Chaney's turn as Dracula is kinda lame but I think the rest of it is very good. Dracula's Daughter is a little overrated in my book but a fun one none the less.

I haven't seen The Ghoul in over a decade, and then it was SD of battered old prints, so if this is HD from a good source (which I think they've found?) I'll be happy to see it.

Beast with Five Fingers that's always over looked but is a fun one with the always great Lorre. A good month overall.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, this came out of nowhere but Sven is hosting additional cartoons and shorts tonight after 10PM EST/9PM CST?!? It's not even in Sven's blog! It's just in TODAY's newsletter:
    Looking at guides it appears to be an additional half-hour. Sven's really gotten popular and I guess this is just an extension of that... literally!

soxfan666 likes this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sventoonie, for those who missed or want to see it again (don't know how long this will last on YT):

While there's mostly positive remarks in the YT comment section, I have to say I found the whole thing most baffling. Toonie's commentary over NotLD ran the gamut of pointlessly saying what was plainly on the screen, to saying things that were plain wrong for some reason (for a "Ha! Toonie dumb!" laugh?), to making references so dated I doubt anyone under 65 would comprehend the reference, to saying something to be saying something. Maybe it's the thirty years of MST3k I've seen, but audiences have come to expect better. Reading comments on another forum I'm seeing a lot of other horror fans agreeing.

And if this is for kids, while NotLD can be cut down for young audiences, most of the "worst" of it was included in this short running time. Anyone old enough to stomach these scenes would sit stone faced through the resulting pre-school commentary. They also included Satanic Rites of Dracula, which again is chock full of violence and nudity. If any kid did ask their parents if they could see it, and they obliged because, "it's just an old Hammer horror movie," they'll have a lot worse than NotLD to contend with.

What's most surprising to me is there was no viewer warning. Compare this to the tame stuff Sven puts a warning in front of on his show like The Ghoul last weekend. Now he puts a kid's show puppet in front of NotLD without any inkling what was about to flash before their eyes. Most sane adults would assume violence would be cut. I wouldn't be surprised if they get some angry feedback from parents who couldn't get their kids to sleep after letting them stay up to watch their morning cartoon puppet do a new show cutting to half eaten faces and ghouls peeling flesh off of bones. I'm truly surprised Koz gave the green light for that.

A lot of the other skits may work fine for kids but pushing this kiddie stuff past Sven's late night slot you're not going to find much of an audience. I would recommend they do the opposite of what they've done: a half hour before Svengoolie have Toonie do a kid friendly shtick with a "spooky" cartoon and something not unlike Sven-surround with a paired down PD horror film, serial, sci-fi, what-have-you; cutting OUT the violence.