Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

That's "three o," leaves more for me...
    [​IMG]

I'm not much of a Knotts fan either but Sven's shown TGaMG so many times over the years that it's grown on me. The big thing was getting over how the "scary" moments are not anything that'll satisfy a horror fan. But it's a clever script once you learn the ins and outs of it. As for Joan Staley, well, it seems to me she's a bit of a fan of the ol' X...

[​IMG]

Speaking of wood (oars). Anyone who enjoys a wooden performance look no further than From Hell it Came tonight!

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm taking it easy after getting my second Moderna shot today. Definitely tuning in to Sven!

X-human likes this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If Joan looked like that in Ghost & Mr. Chicken I might have enjoyed it more.

As for From Hell it Came, really surprised to see that that movie was never on MST3K. I mean seriously, the jokes just wrote themselves, Mike could have taken the week off from writing and they could have just riffed it live.

wago70 likes this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Man, FHiC was even worse than I remembered. The monster just stood there and people backed into him!?! And to kill people he dropped them into quicksand or down a hill?!? And the leading romance was the most awkward of pairings before we even get into the sexism. The gal screamed like a bird squawks; worst scream queen in cinema history. The most irrational moment was when Tabonga trashes the lab overnight, and the lead man criticizes the leading lady for not getting the dosage right on an experimental drug quickly administered on an unknown creature THAT HE DIDN"T EVEN THINK WOULD WORK AND WOULDN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE AS A LIVING CREATURE! Then the Professor convinces them that because of that the monster didn't trash the lab so the natives must have done it. After agreeing with this completely the leading man immediately turns and says "TABONGA IS REAL"!?! WHAT?!? Completely unmotivated character change that only serves as trailer bait. Terrible screenwriting. Since it's a WB title I thought that was why MST3k never had a chance at it but now I know they did a couple WB titles early on so I don't know why they never did it. I can only guess it's so bad WB didn't even bother to package it for syndication.

Looking forward to Fiend Without a Face tonight. I'm happy to see Sven using a spoiler free commercial. He's never really done that before so he's making this something special too. It's a bit of a standard slog for the first hour or so but there's still plenty to recommend during that time so don't just walk in on it... Unless you're into that sorta thing...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    KGBRadioMoskow likes this.
  5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The critters in this one are definitely an innovation landmark in horror film history. The stop motion and even invisible path effects are impressive for the day, and passable enough for open minded viewers today. They've stuck in my memory for decades, both in creepiness and as fuel for good natured lampooning.

The story has a definite plot similarity to Forbidden Planet, not as good an execution but still well worth watching.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That was my first time ever watching Fiend Without a Face and I really dug it. Kim Parker was also quite the cutie, reminded me a bit of 90s-era Moira Kelly. That's a good thing. Sven sure got a lot of mileage out of that towel scene, didn't he?

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I fell asleep through the middle part, but it was nice having a Mie Hama ("Kissy Suzuki" in the Bond flick You Only Live Twice) movie. Sven even pronounced her name right, "Me-Eh", not "My" like it looks.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If they came back in and steadied the footage the EFX work would be even more effective. I'm not advocating for A.I. to smooth out the animation but less jerky camera movement would improve impressions.

Forbidden Planet came to my mind as well. I think the sound FX kinda remind me of FP as well as the invisible nature of the fiends. A buddy of mine commented on it too. As FP was a big studio hit I'm sure it wasn't far from the filmmakers' minds.

Yeah, I counted six times Sven made reference to the shower scene; two before the scene even happened! It's something of a notorious image which is surprising considering all the other eye popping imagery this film has. It's so blatant and in the part of the movie where not much else is going on so perhaps it gets more mileage than other shower scenes which are ubiquitous. Even From Hell It Came had one and that may have only gotten a passing nod in the song.

Kudos to Sven's cunning linguistics.

KKE is a favorite of mine. I enjoy it way more that KKvG. It doesn't take itself seriously but neither does it take the audience for granted. Hama's part is rather interesting; an evil woman who's slowly becoming disillusioned with "the game." A very fun part and I wouldn't be surprised it it's one of her favorite roles. The leading lady on the other hand is dubbed in like she's a little girl and hard to take seriously. Can you imaging your only medical treatment during months at sea is from someone who sounds like they're still in Kindergarten? But I suspect this film influenced the 1970's remake as her growing affection for Kong is a real flip compared to the original.

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

There are those similarities. But I was primarily thinking of the premise of the scientist discovering how to harness a vast energy source by thought, only to discover too late doing so unleashed a malevolent entity manifested from his subconscious. And who is subsequently destroyed by it.

Fiend Without a Face practically did a wholesale lift and shift of that concept from Forbidden Planet. Granted the later borrowed the idea itself, just much less similarly.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

June
    6/05 TheCW26 11AM CST Island of Terror (1966) - Peter Cushing — we’ll explain why below.
    6/05 Cult of the Cobra (1955) - A sultry snake woman!
    6/12 How to Make a Monster (1958) - An AIP 1950s classic!
    6/19 Curse of the Undead (1959) - A vampire gunslinger!
    6/26 Time Walker (1982) - A more modern mummy movie!
    I might be the only one on this forum this will affect but I'll make a note of it. I only watch the Chicago exclusive Saturday morning broadcasts so I'm a week behind the rest of the nation. I was kinda looking forward to seeing Frozen Dead too as I know I've seen it but I didn't remember a damn thing from the trailer. Oh well, I'd probably enjoy Island of Terror more anyways as I'm a Cushing fan and not much of a Chaney fan..

While last month might be the best schedule I've even seen June is a "meh" month for me. Time Walker might be the most recent film they've shown in a decade! (And another MST3k flick.) This lines up with their other more recent Shout releases, like How to Make a Monster, so there may be an association after all. If Svengoolie is able to dip into Shout's Corman catalog that'll be stellar.

chancetx likes this.
  11. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

It had been ages since I had seen Fiend without a Face and it is so amazing. It's not the best of 50s sci-fi but the concept is so off-the-wall and the visuals in the last 20 minutes are just awesome. Surely some of those effects influenced the ending of Evil Dead.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Might be the only time Sven ever talks about Hell Night

13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to get this show online or whatnot? I love Svengoolie but can’t get METV where I am in Canada. I have no problem paying for METV or whatever service that would carry it. Thanks

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

MeTV does not have a streaming service unfortunately. However I see on Reddit that http://www.locast.org does make MeTV available for "free" but as a Canadian you'd need a good VPN that can spoof a US location down to the cities. I don't have a VPN but I see Mozilla is offering a low $5 price right now. Maybe that VPN can?

x666x likes this.
  15. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Anyone watch Time Walker last night? I am not familiar with that one.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Only for about 30-45 minutes. It's a pretty cheesy early 80s film (MST spoofed it). I immediately saw Kevin Brophy (Fraternity president Peter Bennett in Hell Night), so I waited around for Sven to do his cast background, and sure enough he did include a still. That was about all I needed to see so I tuned out afterwards. Rock-N-Roll High School was on AXS, I switched to that (despite already owning the Blu)

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

July
    7/03 She-Wolf of London (1946) - 'Lost in Space' mom fears full moon?
    7/10 I Saw What You Did (1965) - Joan Crawford via William Castle!
    7/17 The Mummy (1959) - 1959 Hammer horror!
    7/24 The Black Cat (1934) - A 1934 Bela and Boris team-up!
    7/31 The Creation of the Humanoids (1962) - Robots vs. humans in the future

As Paff mentioned it's been on MST and has an ancient aliens killer mummy premise set at a college with a tiny bit of Colour Out of Space thrown in for good measure. Not bad. Not especially good either. I've never seen it straight but I definitely would. I'm going to have to watch a recording of it as I missed the broadcast.

18. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Thanks for the input - I watched it last night. Some nice plot developments but the handling was kind of lax. I like how it tried to be a serious mummy movie but also worked in some student hijinks. I'm sure it's been done somewhere else but the alien as a mummy idea was quite clever. For cult movie fans the most notable thing has to be the reunion of Darwin Joston and Austin Stoker from Assault on Precinct 13.

X-human likes this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

August
    08/07 Black Friday - Karloff and Lugosi as a gangster?!
    08/14 House on Haunted Hill - The Vincent Price original!
    08/21 House of Horrors - Rondo Hatton!
    08/28 The Beast Must Die - The werewolf who-done-it!

Kinda odd that Black Friday wasn't scheduled for 8/14 just after Friday the 13th. It'll be funny if he schedules the second running just after Black Friday in November.

While I enjoy these movies I'm just not really keen on any of them. I'm curious what the transfer for House on Haunted Hill will be but I'm guessing it's just the standard WB HD master.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I only caught like the last 15 minutes of Creation of the Humanoids, which was literally just 4 people talking. Was the rest of it that boring? Sven seemed to indicate so, almost apologizing for the slow pace of it.