Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

December
    12/05 The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    12/12 The Return of the Vampire (1943)
    12/19 The Invisible Woman (1940)
    12/26 Valley of the Dragons (1961)

No Santa Claus Conquers the Martians this year, but all I want for Christmas is Joan Staley!
    [​IMG]

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Aw man, I got this backwards. I thought Revenge of Frankenstein (a decent Hammer outing) was THIS week.

Oh well, I do like the Svengoolie/Fright Night thing he's doing.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Bummer you missed out on Frank.

Return of the Vampire is pretty good too and rarely screened. I'm flipping between it and Columbo presently.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Svengoolie promised some movies he's never shown before during Valley of the Dragons so that'll be a treat. 2021 is shaping up to be better already!

January 2021
    1/02 The Leech Woman (1960)
    1/09 The Beast with Five Fingers (1946)
    1/16 Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
    1/23 Man Made Monster (1941)
    1/30 Earth vs the Spider (1958)

I haven't seen The Beast with Five Fingers so I'll be looking forward to that one. That and Earth vs the Spider are new for Sven I believe so we're already getting some fresh stuff from Sven for January.

5. Do you see

Do you see Member

Watching The Leech Woman right now!

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

February 2021
    2/06 The Black Scorpion (1957)
    2/13 The Invisible Man (1933)
    2/20 The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
    2/27 Devil Doll (1964)

Some good stuff there, three of which I've watched on my own volition over the past few months! Well, except Devil Doll that is. Which is surprisingly bleak. It's also an interesting pickup for Sven as it's independently owned.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Really dug Devil Doll, and like you mentioned, very bleak for a Svengoolie outing. It's no surprise he made multiple warnings throughout the broadcast that it might not be suitable for all viewers. If I was a kid, that probably would have scared the crap out of me.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah I've watched Devil Doll a dozen or so times through MST3k and I've even got an uncut DVD so I've seen that a few times too. It's probably the most cynical anthropomorphic puppet/toy film ever devised. It's the British saying, as only they can, "well we can't show blood and gore so we're going to make you realized the horror of your futile existence instead." Officially there's not much a censor can complain about but... I'm still kinda surprised Sven showed it because, as you said with his warnings, it's not really family friendly. Which he's more or less become since switching to classical fair on MeTV.

March
    3/06 The Thing That Couldn't Die (1958)
    3/13 Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
    3/20 The Shadow of the Cat (1961)
    3/27 The Beast Must Die (1974)

Wow, quite the line up of fun movies. They're all guilty pleasures of mine on some level although Wax Museum is pretty well regarded. That'll certainly be the WB restoration as that's been out in the wild for long enough now WB has no reason to keep it off broadcasts.

I get a real kick outta Thing That Couldn't Die. It's another MST3k film that's a hoot but the film itself has an oddly satisfying build I'll still watch on TCM or whenever (I think Sven's shown it before too). The finale is lol deus ex machina but that only adds to its charm. Another rather cynical film.

In fact they all are to some extent. Maybe Sven's been in isolation too long and someone should do a mental welfare check on him!

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I actually didn't know MST3K did Devil Doll! But looking through the episode guide, I see it was a SciFi Channel episode, with Bill Corbett as Crow and no Trace Beaulieu or Frank Conniff, so I wasn't as regular a viewer at that point.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Oh, wow, even with all I said above, I'd forgotten just how nihilistic Devil Doll was. Vorelli making his hypnotized subject re-live a public execution he saw as if he were in the victim's shoes, in front of an audience and Vorelli relishing the opportunity, right from the start sets this film apart. And I'd forgotten rape is a major portion of the plot (how could I forget THAT?) which Sven surprisingly left in. Add to that the institutionalized sexism seeded into nearly every scene and, while they're not promoting misandry, it all has this dark dismal twist to it. I missed the moment but I think Sven did cut the end of the scene when they're interviewing the old woman in Berlin. At the end their time is up and you learn that she's now a prostitute, and her husband Hans is the pimp. :eek: The post-war cold-war Berlin nobody wants to talk about.

I thought I owned Image's Special Edition of Devil Doll but apparently I don't, and Sven's broadcast had a nice HD print, so hopefully another release with the nudity will get the Blu-ray treatment soon. (That's right, this film as an even sleazier cut!)

Sven's promo for Thing That Couldn't Die used SD footage so I got worried that wouldn't be HD but I see now it's in Vol. 6 of Shout's Universal Horror Collection so they must have an HD transfer. I guess Sven just got lazy with the promo.

I've come about 180 from the fan base and consider the Sci-Fi Channel my favorite years of the show now. The crew complain a bit about SyFy executives but under the directive that their shows had to have some kind of plot their skits developed into a higher form, elevating the show, and kept things fresh. I think Bill Corbett filled in Frank's New Yorker shoes and that really helped round out the humor again. I recommend anyone give the Sci-Fi years another look. And they're free on Shout's MST3k stream so there's no excuse not to. ;)

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, this is more of a MST3K post than a Svengoolie post, but Corbett was fine, he was just (as he says in the intro)...different. It's just that Crow was always my favorite character on the show, and Trace Beaulieu will always be the only Crow to me. Notice also that I didn't say I stopped watching in the Sci-Fi era, I just wasn't as regular. I certainly did watch and enjoy many episodes of that era.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Disappointingly The Thing That Couldn't Die was SD after all. I guess Sven took the cheaper option and didn't bother to make a new master for a HD broadcast. And man that SD transfer was hard to watch with a lot of edge enhancement.

No I get that, and I'm more of a Tom Servo/Kevin Murphy fan so the first two seasons of MST3k with Josh Weinstein are especially lackluster to me. I like Trace's Crow, don't get me wrong, but his absence is not a deal breaker for me. And since Murphy is in the rest of the series, and took over as Tom at the same time Frank came on, I've come to consider the Frank years the golden years and the Corbett years the silver years and anything else has its good points but falls more into the bronze category. So I'm not a Joel/Mike fan in the traditional sense and it sounds like you're not either.

BTW have you been checking out The Mads Are Back with Frank and Trace?
    https://www.themadsareback.com/blog/
    They're doing live riffing on Zoom once a month (instead of doing their road show). I haven't been posting on it much because they haven't done much horror but it's been a bright spot for me during the pandemic. This week they're doing Phantom From Space and by chance Bill Corbett with be joining them afterwards for a Q&A.

If you can't make it live your ticket gets you private access to a download of the event. And to bring it back Rich Koz made an appearance on the Q&A for the first Night of Shorts in October.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I hate how late in the full month schedule can come as it's usually only the first business day of the month that we get it.

April
    4/03 The Undead (1957)
    4/10 The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
    4/17 The Crawling Eye ( The Trollenberg Terror ) (1958)
    4/24 Gargoyles (1972)

A bit of a fun month. I'm quite the fan of The Undead which as an MST3k target doesn't get much love or understanding. It takes place on Walpurgis Night so I try to watch it around May 1st. Both Undead and Crawling Eye or more or less in the public domain so I'm curious what source Sven's using for them. If, in the case of Crawling Eye, it's Wade Williams that'll be very interesting. There's a lot of movement now with his catalog but reportedly his website is "claiming" less and less movies these days as under his thumb so there may be other factors involved...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Excellent news if that's the case. I'd love to see Svengoolie start showing Shout's back catalog; especially Corman.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Crawling Eye had a pretty nice HD transfer. I didn't notice a distributor attached to Crawling Eye but The Undead (which also had a nice HD transfer) had an old Teleworld animation at the end. Checking Amazon's streaming The Crawling Eye is Teleworld too, so I figure Teleworld as the source is a safe bet on both.

We don't get the full schedule until the first of the month, and since for May that's Saturday I thought I'd share what we have so far:

May
    5/01 The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)
    5/08 From Hell It Came (1957)
    5/15 ?
    5/22 ??
    5/29 ???

From Hell It Came is gloriously bad. But look who's back...

[​IMG]

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've been digging this show, even if I don't intently watch the movie it's great "background" if I'm home and just working on something or goofing around on my phone. I thought I saw The Crawling Eye before on MST3K, but that was The Crawling HAND (although I certainly have seen that scene from Eye that made the MST opening for so many years). It was actually a better movie than I'd imagined.

Ended up taking a nap early on during Gargoyles and by the time I woke up Star Trek was nearly over.

18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Gargoyles was a (welcome) shift from Svengoolie's usual 1960s and prior fare. And a step on the darker side, there are some tonal hints in that film that definitely stray into the not comfortable viewing for the kiddies territory.

Unfortunately I was tied up at a board game event until well after it was over, not getting home until Kolchak was investigating one of his lesser quality cases.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Full May schedule and it's a doozy!

May
    5/01 The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)
    5/08 From Hell It Came (1957)
    5/15 Fiend Without a Face (1958)
    5/22 King Kong Escapes (1967)
    5/29 The Frozen Ghost (1945)

The Criterion approved Fiend Without a Face! I had some hope we'd get that as I knew producer Richard Gordon of February's Devil Doll made Fiend, held on to most of the rights to his own films and Sven's long said it's the number one film he's wanted to screen. I almost want to advise not watching the previews and avoiding all spoilers, but the first half of the film is so dull I don't know if any audience member would make it through without knowing it has such a mind melting finale! An absolute favorite of mine and I'm excited to see Sven screening it and if it's anything like Devil Doll should have a sweet HD transfer which we've yet to see Fiend in.

From Hell It Came and Fiend Without a Face might be the most grueling back to back programing ever devised by a horror host. Hopefully Sven's rating will survive it! :D

King Kong Escapes is also an absolute gem. I dig it way more than Godzilla vs. King Kong.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Tried to give Ghost and Mr. Chicken a chance, to see this Staley girl X-human keeps yammering about, but I don't like Don Knotts and Showtime had on both Texas Chain Saw Massacre (original!) and The Exorcist. My priorities lied elsewhere