Anyone getting Twilight Zone (1959) on Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

The first season is coming out 9/14 and second season coming out 11/16 I think. Amazon.com currently has the first season for preorder at $64.50. It contains a never released pilot episode called "Time Element". I want to get it but I already have the Definitive Edition collection on DVD remastered with extras except "Time Element". It seems to be a waste to re-buy the series just for better picture and more extras especially at the current price. What about the rest of you? Anyone here planning to buy the series on Blu-Ray?

2. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I never picked up the original definitive collection on dvd, so I am really tempted to grab this. It should be incredible!

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Both sets will be in my collection before the year is out.

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Have season 1 on DVD at a good price, but would consider getting the remaining seasons on BD...again, it would depend on the prices. If I find the DVD sets for under $30 I'll probably just grab those. Only paid $28 for Season 1 definitive. Nice deal.

5. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

bought the definitive addition a year os so ago..........

maybe

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Bought the Complete Definitive Series about a year ago for around $100 I believe. I want these, but the price is a little high, two seasons on Blu will cost more then I paid for all 5 on DVD. When these lower to $30 a season I may pick them up.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I picked them all up individually last go 'round only to have them put out a cheaper single package later. I think I'll just wait for that this time.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    My favorite show of all time, but seriously, the DVDs are more than enough! I can't see the picture quality getting much better and it is full screen, so it won't affect the aspect ratio! I think Blu Ray is a waste on this one! What I would rather see is them using the format for its capacity and put the whole series in SD on fewer discs. I'd like to see them do that for a lot of series, where an HD transfer doesn't buy much. I know a lot of you will disagree with me and tell me how much the HD transfer has added, but my personal opinion is that I wouldn't bother unless I got it at the same price for the DVDs, since I've never actually bought the DVDs of the definitive collection. I have several of the older box sets and they are just fine for me!

9. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I think I'll likely just go with DVD, as soon as that huge definitive collection gets down around the $100-$125 mark. Of course it was the Amazon Deal of the Day like twice within the past year when I was unemployed, so I missed out on it then. :mad:

10. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Never got around to getting the "definitive collection" (despite the awesome price) because I heard the packaging resulted in a lot of floaters, and dealing with that would be an ordeal.

The Blu-rays are very tempting.

11. HellGirl

HellGirl Guest

Maybe I'm ill-informed, but what do these older TV shows look like on Blu-Ray? I can't imagine that the ultra-crisp high def picture does these episodes any favors.

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The show was shot on 35mm (except for a few episodes that was shot on video) and should look awesome on BD.
    Just because it´s a TV-show doesn´t mean it looks bad compared to a theatrical movie from the same period.

ANYTHING that was shot on 16mm or 35mm benefits from an HD upgrade, no matter how old it is. Even an old Buster Keaton film like "The General" shot in the 1920:s looks just as good as if it was shot yesterday on Blu-Ray.

13. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Bravo Image. I bought the original set, I have the Definative Collection and there is no question I will be getting this. Arguably the most brilliant show in television history has truly received the attention that it deserved and then some.

15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

This might be a buy for me, but like most stated already, price will be a big factor. If I can get the DVDS really cheap, I'd probably go that route.

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'd love to own the blu-ray, but that is really expensive. I'll stick with the SciFi Channel airings until the price is right.

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Wow, that does really look good! But like others have stated, I am waiting for the price to go down, preferably by the time they have the complete series on Blu. I just picked up the complete series on DVD last year and I'm pretty sure I only paid around $100 during Amazons Deal of the Day. I wouldn't even be able to get two seasons at that price on Blu.

18. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I don't want to turn this into another anti-DeepDiscount thread, but I just thought I'd mention this in case anyone is interested.

DeepDiscount currently has a Buy 1 Get 1 Free promotion on select blu-rays. This includes the first two seasons of The Twilight Zone on blu-ray, so you can get both seasons for only $78.29 ($39.15 per set or $1.20 per episode!).

Both items are back-ordered, so it might take a while to get them. But it is a good deal for this. I placed an order last night (both were back-ordered) and season two has already shipped.

I know there was a lot of controversy involving their last B1G1 sale, so order at your own discretion. But I thought I would share this deal in case anyone is interested.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Very cool. Be advised that the first season has had issues with disc one and disc four (skipping/freezing). My disc one was fine, but my disc four needed to be replaced. I advise that when you receive them, you watch those discs first. It is not a firmware issue.