Any new and or cheap region free players in Canada?

Discussion in 'General' started by pacinofan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

I'm on the look out for a cheap region free player. My Walmart doesn't seem to stock the Malata or any other of the "fringe" players any more. Any one know of anything readily available in Canada?

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    There have been a few threads with recommendations if you search the site, but just as a quick suggestion. The Philips players are almost all PAL compatible and easily region free hacked and are under $70. On top of that, they are upconvertable and play DIVX and MPEG files as well.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Philips is probably the way to go if you wanna save some money nad are looking for a cheaper DVD player. I've had one for years and just got an HDTV and I've gotta say...the upconversion to 1080p is really shitty. I'm gonna invest in an OPPO since a PS3 (which im gonna be getting in about a week or two) doesn't play R2 DVDs. OOPO apparently provides amazing upconversion of standard DVDs and is also able to be made region free.

~Matt

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I ordered my Philips online from BestBuy.ca because it wasn't available in any of the local stores. I think including tax it ended up being $107. I'm pretty happy with it. Seems to play pretty much everything I put in it.

5. Shannafey

WOW! That's high! Considering the Canadian dollar is so close to the American. These decks are going for under $70 here in the US! Check Amazon.com.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah but if you buy from the US, you have to worry about Canadian customs. I just looked it up and the actual price was $89 for the "Philips Upconverting HDMI DVD Player With DivX (DVP5982/37)". Which is still a little high compared to US prices, but they've been gouging us for a while now. Even though the dollar has gone up, prices really haven't been going down.

Anyway it was a matter of convenience for me. I was willing to pay a bit more for the lack of hassle. :)

7. Shannafey

WOW! I didn't know you guys had to go through that! What a shame! Well, all in all the Philips is a good buy. I really love mine! I have a bunch of Region 2 and Region 4 discs that play flawlessly and DIVX files are great on the thing and I have a ton of those! Great quality upconversion!!