Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Because they weren't potentially going to get sued over it?

2. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Guys, I hate to disagree with many of you (especially Harry, as I already was on the opposite side of the Fangoria issue and do enjoy reading your posts and respect your opinions), but I am still a Code Red supporter. Yes, Bill has put up some wild posts to say the least, but I find them always very entertaining...and aside form Don May at Synapse, who else even talks to the fans in any form from these companies? As for the releases, despite the problems that have occurred with the ones we've all been waiting for, they have put out several movies that I have been extremely happy to have added to my collection ( I have bought Beyond the Door, Boardinghouse, Dead Pit, Death Journey, Don't Go in the Woods Alone, The Forest, God's Bloody Acre, Hot Moves, Madman, Mean Johnny Barrows, Messiah of Evil, Night of the Dribbler, Primal Rage, The Redeemer, The Strangeness, Stunt Rock, Sweet Sixteen, Terror Circus, Trapped, The Undertaker, and Weekend Murders- the only purchases that I would possibly regret out of those would be Weekend Murders and maybe Dribbler, although that one is so horrendous that it almost works for me.) If not for Coder Red we would have quite possibly never have seen many of these great movies out on disc, and there are several othres that I am going to pick up as well. Code Red in my humble opinion is a great company, despite their flaws.

3. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I only have 1 issue with Code Red: the price of their DVD's are wayyyyyyyyyyy too high. In the age of Blu Ray, digital downloads and video on demand, I'm not paying $22 bucks for a standard DVD of Madman. That's pure insanity.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I have to agree here. I was thinking about this the other day as there are a few titles from Code Red that I'd like to pick up but the prices for their films are ridiculous. It's no wonder their sales don't do so great. They're selling obscure titles that a large majority of people haven't heard of.

I was looking at picking up Boardinghouse the other day and it was listed for $16.00. To me that's way too high and just deters me from buying.

5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I think $22-$29 must be the price-point for all indie DVD companies. I was checking out the new releases in Laser Blazer in LA (one of the few remaining DVD stores) and all their indie horror/thriller titles were priced in that range. There were a few titles that intrigued me but I just couldn't justify a blind buy at those prices.

I understand the need to recoup costs but wouldn't it be better to price DVDs a bit lower and make up the $$ in number of sales? I'd be a lot more willing to check out some of Code Red's (and other companies) lesser titles if they were in the $12-$17 price range.

6. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Laserblazer is always overf'npriced. Same story with Amoeba why bother.

7. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Exactly what I think when I come here, too bad 2 or 3 users give a bad name to this forum. Isn't it that surprising that very few dvd label owner or PR post often here? Of course it isn't since a couple of guys like to play the big aggressive guys.

At least I can get some good informations on the forum, but for posting this is sure not the place where I am the most active.

Too bad people don't realize that no DVD label own us anything (as we don't own them anything), if they release something fine and if not that's fine also. This is so ridiculous to whine because something isn't on dvd as if it was a question of life or death.

8. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yeahhh, my thoughts... :D

What´s entertaining bitchin´ about something then deleting the post???

Yeah.
    I´m not comparing companies but lately I´ve been an Arrow supporter and both companies have almost the same price range but their releases are miles apart when talking about the product.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  9. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Well, sometimes there are discs I want to buy on the street date, take home, and watch. Waiting a goddamned week for Amazon or whomever to nudge a disc my way can be agonizing.

10. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

You might be onto something there! I think $22-$29 is just too much IMO.

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

That's not what I wrote. Go back and re-read my post. What I said was if your not interested in the subject, you don't have to participate in the discussion. I never suggested to anyone that they NOT participate. I suggested, as I will with you, to look at the history of the posts on this board related to the subject. The subject is Code Red/Bill's history of bullshit excuses and his constant complaints of not being able to make money, delayed release dates, no communication, etc.. Everyone can participate and say whatever they want on the subject. I happen to not agree with those who support Code Red. I also pointed out that this discussion didn't begin overnight and how ironic is it for someone who has been a member over 10 months, yet rarely posts, to come to CR's defense. I would encourage all of the "Screamy Boppers" on the board to participate and become active members of this board. I just find it suspect that most of the supporters seem to be those who have the fewest postings on this board. It gives me the impression that Bill's acquaintances or relations are attempting to make postings against those of us who are tired of all the bullshit. Perhaps that isn't the case at all. Bill/Code Red doesn't owe any of us answers if he chooses not to supply any. It's a free country. If he is not happy with the discussions on this board, or any others for that matter, he can choose to ignore every post. It is quite obvious to me that's the route he has chosen. When he has responded, it's always defensive in nature. This is nothing new. What I have a very difficult time grasping is how unprofessional these people are. Crying because someone is making more money on you product than you?? Really? If that's the case, do something about it as the head of your company. Sorry, but complaining to folks about how your loosing money and how your company is sinking into the toilet is not going to help it survive. The defense of "but Bill is releasing titles nobody else would dream of releasing" is pure bullshit. Bill isn't releasing the titles., at least not in a timely manner, and when they are released, he fucking complains about how dismal his sales are. Jesus - get a fucking clue. It's always the same with these nuckleheads. They don't want to hear any form of criticism because they are all too rejection senstive and their egos can't fathom that someone could actually have an issue with their company or decisions. They need to toughen up if they are going to survive, especially in this economy. Trust me when I say this, folks will spend their money on other releases..and even on Code Red releases, and they will find other methods of getting what they want. The $275 paid for GBA on ebay is a perfect example. This should be a learning tool for Bill and Code Red, but in the end, I fear it won't be. By all means, if you want to come to Code Red's defense, knock yourself out.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

After watching both prints included on God´s Bloody Acre, this release has some funny shit...

After you watch either of the versions, there´s a loop of the scene of the screaming man that´s used in the main menu that runs for about 2 minutes. Right after this we are taken to the main menu again... funny shit.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've only watched the theatrical print so far. Am I missing anything at all by not watching the other print?

pretty fantastically bad movie. very happy with this one.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Nothing I can think off...

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, didn't think so.

16. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Are you suggesting Bill auctions off his titles on Ebay for hundreds of dollars? Well, that would be a bad idea… I don’t understand…Where the hell did you get your Masters Degree in Business?

Seriously chap…you sound just as whiney. I’m willing to look over the other shoulder regarding Code Red’s business practices based on the sheer fact they released Messiah of Evil. Satan himself could have released that DVD, and I still would have bought two. If you want to boycott Code Red titles for the odd reason of petty internet antics, go right ahead…your loss. But, as far as I’m concerned Code Red is one of the top niche DVD labels currently in the business. I cannot fathom why anyone would argue otherwise.

I think Mya Communications deserves the third degree more than Code Red…And no, I’m not a Code Red crony, so you can cut the internet detective routine Dick Tracy.

Whatever…all I know is I watched Working Girls last night, and I cannot thank Code Red enough for the loony sub par sexploitation fun! I’ve been dying to get a legitimate release of this flick for years. Code Red already made my week last week by releasing Group Marriage.

It sure is a great time to be a Claudia Jennings fan…first Shout! releases Deathsport and will be releasing Great Texas Dynamite Chase, and now Code Red graces us with Group Marriage. If only we could get a legitimate release for Holy Rollers and convince the Sebastians we need Gator Bait and the Single Girls on DVD, then I’d be one happy camper.

17. Harry Warden

Certainly not! My suggestion is that Bill "learn" from all of the complaints on this board and others. For someone in his position to complain that somebody else made more money than he on one of his titles on ebay is simply ridiculous. Once that title is sold, it's out of his hands. It became the buyer's property the minute they purchased it and if they choose to resell it on ebay, that's there business. That alone should tell Bill something. Obviously many of his titles are in demand or folks wouldn't be shelling out $200 per disc on ebay. People are tired of hearing excuse after excuse. He should be asking himself, "What am I doing wrong? How can I improve my sales? Trust me, announcing future title releases and then delaying them again, and again and again does not lead to a successful company. It doesn't take a Master's Degree in Business or a brain surgeon to get that. I've been waiting nearly three years since Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker was announced for release. Consumers are fickle and do I dare say, Americans are the worst (me included). People who want these releases try to ask questions as to why titles are delayed, yet they receive either no response or hostile responses from Bill. That is all I've every heard from him. Of course, Bill doesn't have to tell anybody shit!! If he doesn't want to respond, that's fine, but he chooses to do so at his own peril. Please keep in mind that you, me, and most folks who frequent this board and others are Code Red's target audience. We're the folks who buy Code Red's products. With the obscurity of the titles that he releases, he has to understand that he will never make a huge profit anyway. Perhaps he should resort to selling his titles exclusively online on the Code Red website. It might help him keep track of sales, but it will never prevent someone from re-selling a title. I'm not suggesting that this is the only answer or solution, but if he is going to constantly complain about his own business, whether it be a lack of monetary sales, delayed releases, or complaints about why folks are growing impatient, then he needs to ask himself if what he is presently doing is working.

Chomp - don't put words in my mouth. You should really concentrate on what I wrote and not what I didn't write. I personally own more than 20 Code Red titles. I have been one of those folks who who has bought Code Red's products, and I might add, paid over $18 for every single release, if not more. What I did say in this thread earlier is that I no longer go out of my way to look for new releases from Code Red. The reason I don't is because I never know when they will be released. When I finally read other posts on this site that comment on new purchases from Code Red, then I add them to my want list and buy it if the title interests me. Also, I never said I was boycotting Code Red. I think that many of their business decisions suck. Delaying a release for a 12 minute interview that I might watch once, or not at all?. Personally, I would be happy with a nice clean, remastered transfer, a trailer (if available) and a few verbal or written comments on the film. It's not like any of these titles need a commentary. Half of them, most folks have never heard of. One more item - I don't buy into your argument that Code Red's business practices should be overlooked because they released Messiah of Evil or any other title. So what!!! If their business practices continue on the route they are, you won't have to worry about ANY titles being released by Code Red. Your are right about one thing. They are a good niche company as far as releases go, if and when they are released. Can't speak for Mya - I don't own any of their releases.

Do you really think my detective skills are equal to Dick Tracy? WOW. Thanks a bunch.

18. Chomp

Holy balls…

Code Red must be doing something right, they’re releasing more titles now and at a quicker pace than they have ever done in the past…and with some great titles soon on their way, they certainly haven’t shown any signs of slowing, thank God.

The Code Red bashing is getting quite old and stale…it just isn’t cool anymore. And for someone so quick to criticize, I’d gladly love to see how you would handle the situation of running your own DVD label. You sound like you know everything there is to know about the ins and outs of running a profitable niche DVD releasing company…please let me know if you are in anyway involved with one cause I’d love to send you thousands of nagging emails a day asking when such and such DVD is going to be released…sound good?

Code Red isn’t Arrow, isn’t Blue Underground, isn’t Anchor Bay…these guys are small time. Give ‘em a fucking break.

Long Live Code Red.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  19. Harry Warden

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Gee..I sort of remember you quoting me. If you are so tired of the what you refer to as bashing, you didn't need to respond to me. There you go putting words in my mouth again. Exactly where did I say that I was a business expert? Every comment that I've made is drawn from my own conclusions. It is my opinion, and doesn't necessary reflect the view of anyone else on this board or the moderators. I haven't attributed my comments to anybody or anything. It's called a FORUM my friend. You can choose to comment or not comment. If you don't like my comments, that's fine. You are entitled to your opinions, but don't continue to respond or quote me if you don't like my responses.

20. Chomp

If you're not a business expert, why the hell are you posting long drawn out business plans proclaiming that Code Red "learn from all the complaints on the board", and underminingly point out as if you know what's in the best interest for Code Red,... when the fact of the matter is, you haven't the slightest clue?

Haha...how can anyone take that seriously?

Blah, blah, blah, yea, yea, I get it...the opinion thing again.

I think you should take heed of your own advice there Harry: SEE BELOW.