Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I'm not trying to start a fight but why are so many people defending Code Red? They've made a lot of mistakes lately, with poor transfers and massive delays (often announcing titles that will never see the light of day). I feel like if this were another company, especially Media Blasters, everyone on here would be ripping them to shreds. If Anchor Bay had re-released Madman, interlaced from a 720P master, we would be taking them to task for it. Media Blasters releases a version of Just Before Dawn that's missing three seconds and horror fans across the internet call for their head on a stake. Code Red releases interlaced transfer after interlaced transfer (this goes back years to Sole Survivor) and everyone is saying "Don't be so harsh, just give them your money." I was just as in love with Code Red back when they hit the scene. I own almost every single one of their early releases, including several titles that they worked on for Media Blasters. I had never seen any of these films but I loved them enough to dive in head first. Nowadays, I'm pretty much done with them. So, why does Code Red keep getting a pass? What will it take before people are fed up with their antics? A lot of companies admit their mistakes and release better versions (and, I'm not just talking about the big studios). Code Red just says "sorry" and expects you to fork over the cash for a subpar release. Is it the extras? I'm genuinely curious about this.

2. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I <3 Code Red for The Dead Pit, The Unseen and most of all for the gorgous transfer on the Messiah Of Evil disc.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Code Red is doing crap because it's a TERRIBLY managed company. Look at studios who started out small but made a name for themselves: Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Synapse, Shriek Show, Shout Factory, etc. They provided QUALITY to their consumers and when you provide quality, people will continue to buy your films. Code Red has very often done shoddy telecine work. They're extremely hit and miss. Many of their transfers are so blurry-looking because they're poorly authored. But did they think of even recalling a title like Sweet Sixteen and fix the framing? Or did that go unchecked as well? If it was checked, why the hell was it still released that way? Sure a studio can issue a film in a wrong ratio (like releasing a film 1.85:1 when it was supposed to be 1.66:1 - it's an issue, sure, but not a HUGE deal), but totally fucking up the framing of a film is inexcusable. And no it's not because they're rare. Anchor Bay and Blue Underground have released some seriously obscure titles, and their transfers still have more resolution than most of the titles Code Red works on. Now look at the titles they're releasing, going back to interlaced transfers, releasing titles without inspecting them first, agreeing to release films when the agreement sounds shady (like what happened with Madman). Where are the titles they've announced? Like The Mutilator, Night Warning, Rituals...where the fuck ARE these films? Sure you'll have to call it quits when you put out a crappy product and nobody buys it, or announcing films that will never get released. People will get frustrated and say fuck it.

I'm pretty much fed up with it too. While Madman wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, Code Red could've done a much better job with it. What kindof irked me with the release was not necessarily the transfer of the film itself, but the theatrical trailers look all fucked. There's a blurry line running vertically up the right edge of the frame, and (this looks like a digital error), a line running horizontally across the bottom of the frame(!) It's ridiculous! Like...who the hell let this be released?

But why does it have to be crap when it's released directly through Code Red? Didn't they do work on Silent Scream? Scorpion Releasing put the film out, and it looks and sounds great. It's a nice package and totally worth the $20 it costs in stores.

If Code Red ends up going out of business, they only really have themselves to blame. There are so many sites where you can't even get a Code Red title, they have no advertising outside of their own (rather sketchy-looking) website. They should make films available through their website, advertise more, act like they actually care about the films they release, because seriously....releasing interlaced transfers in this day and age is a definite sign of carelessness and apathy.

People are being critical of Code Red because they announce so many titles and never release them. Sure they've given us some great stuff but as of lately they've been total shit. And they have nobody but themselves to blame. They're slowly but surely digging their own grave.

~Matt

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Well put!

5. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Well if that were the case, couldn't they have their releases for a few months on DVD and then put them on Netflix? All the hardcore horror collectors and aficionados like myself would have bought the disc for their collection and the rest of the population would be able to get the films on Netflix later down the line. You'd think that would give them some more money to work with and make people aware of the their company.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

What about selling their products at FYE?

7. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

LMAO@fye that suck big hairy balls! They are worse yes worse the Bestworstbuy. I avoid both stores like a fatal disease.

8. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

I don't defend them it isn't my job... But I just don't have the problem that some have when they watch their dvd, that's why I don't see what is the big deal. The film look as good on my screen than anything release by any other labels. For the titles announced and not released yet it happen with all the company. I've wait 3 years after Dark Sky to release Bonnie's Kids and it didn't prevent me to buy their other stuff, I wait for 5 years to see Scum of the Earth and Massacre Mafia Style to be release by Grindhouse Releasing and I don't make a big deal of it.

But maybe I ain't like some others... I have enough movie to watch while I'm waiting and I always find something new to buy every months. It isn't like I have nothing to watch while I wait for something else.

9. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Looks good to me - very exciting!

11. Mutilated Prey

Hey Dobby - look what I found!

[​IMG]

12. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

streaming?

How about streaming their movies on netflix? That would seem reasonable since you can limit the time they stream right? I find with code red releases its best to wait until release day and then buy the dvd from a 3rd party seller on amazon instead of from amazon itself. Its usually cheaper.

13. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

WHOA did you make that for me or something?! :eek:

14. Mutilated Prey

No, someone sent it to me the other day, and I thought to myself "that looks familiar". :lol:

15. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Yeah the family resemblance is incredible. :eek1:

16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I just watched "Light Blast" and it IS "open matte", so we aren´t missing anything, intead just getting a bit too much unused space above the actors heads at times ;)

It actually looks more like it was composed as a TV-movie.

The transfer itself is pretty darn good :)
    I don´t know if it´s interlaced or not, since my BD player is awesome at de-interlacing those discs.

Recommended!

The only thing I´m wondering about is why the cover has the "Post-Apocalyptic Collection" tag on the top since it´s NOT a Post-Nuke film, just a cop action movie with a sci-fi touch.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Maybe they made deal where they had to use the banner so many times or pay a fee. Let's be happy there isn't a turd on it. :rolleyes:

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

LOL! +1 on that :D

19. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

dobby and mutilated, you're making my jaws hurt over here! i have a strange craving for big league chew, now...

20. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Oh really¿
    [​IMG]