Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Based on that I'd recommend Scream (through Media Blasters), The Strangeness and Sole Survivor. Scream is so badly bizarre it's amazing, and both Strangeness and Survivor are pretty chilling little sleepers. Speaking of chilling, I guess I'd recommend The Chilling (also through Media Blasters) as well for a fun late-eighties flick along the lines of The Dead Pit.

2. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I would say Doom Asylum is one you should pick up. Also, Boardinghouse.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

don't forget Boardinghouse. that movie is so awesomely bad, it's....awesome! if you can appreciate don't go in the woods...alone! and the forest, you'll dig on boardinghouse

edit: oh shit, you beat me to it dreammaster!

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

I wanted to recommend those two, but the shot-on-video movies, especially those ones, are an acquired taste. Boardinghouse is a whole different kind of "bad". Zen bad, even.

5. springjack

springjack New Member

Thanks for all yout advices.

Is "The Unseen" any good?
    ________
    No2 vaporizer

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. Beastus

Beastus New Member

I don't think companies get a lot of revenue from rental titles, especially from places like Netflix. For smaller companies, it's a big problem when hundreds of potential buyers (we are talking niche titles here) just rent from Netflix.

Here in Norway, companies usually release 2 versions of a DVD. One for rental, and one for sell-through. The rental version usually has big banners with "rental only" on the cover. It's been like that ever since the VHS boom.

Rental stores have had a split-deal with distributors, which is a cost-sharing business model, meaning they can order a lot of copies, and only pay percentages of each rental, and then they could sell the rental copy for a low price. That deal is now off, since it flooded the market with cheap rental copies, and a lot of smaller business ordered tons of copies, just to sell them for cheap.

Since the DVD market is not booming, we'll probably see a lot more of rental-only copies (or in some cases, titles not available for rental), a few weeks delay to rental kiosks etc. The studios need more control over their product if they're going to keep it a viable market.

7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. It's got an early 80s slasher vibe, even though it's not really a slasher. Lots of extreme weirdness though it might be too slow and light on gore for some. I'd definitely recommend it over some other Code Red titles. I'd say if you like "Tourist Trap" with it's slightly campy vibe you'll like "The Unseen."

8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    UNSEEN is pretty nifty. It's a rather tasteful slasher with implied sleazy-ness. It is a well made movie, too.

9. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

i really REALLY liked The Strangeness too, it's a very cheap movie, is badly acted, not a lot happens, etc etc... BUT it has an incredible atmosphere and some superb lighting, this was one of those 'surprise findings' that i want to find every time i buy an unknown movie that looks remotely interesting

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

so how is the horror high dvd itself is there alot of cool gore/death scenes

11. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

I was just about to ask if anyone was diggin' on this disc yet.

As a fan of HORROR HIGH, I would say this DVD is awesome. Not perfect, but awesome.

The film was made very inexpensively in 1973 and it is somewhat gory but the effects are fairly simple and are not the film's reason for being. It developed a staunch cult following over the years viewed only in cut TV presentations. The acting is uneven. There is a lot of pathos. The score is psychedelic and rockin'. I hope everyone enjoys it, but it that is probably asking too much!

12. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

13. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I didn't think the movie itself was great (it was fun at times though), but the disc itself is good. I imagine that's the best Horror High is going to look/sound.

Now that Doom Asylum is OOP through Code Red, its next stop is the Criterion Collection, I'm sure.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just watched the disc last night. It was nice to finally get to see the film in it's original uncut form, and with a nice presentation.

The film has its faults and certainly shows its age now, but it also has a certain charm to it that's hard to deny.

I remember first hearing about this film when I was about 13 years old, or around 22 years ago. Me and some friends had rented "Return to Horror High", and one of them later said they'd heard of the original movie from his older brother...but couldn't find it anywhere to view/rent himself. We weren't even sure if he was telling the truth or not, since this was way before the internet where you could look something up like that. It would be quite a few years before I was even able to see the TV-edit of the film. Of course the original Horror High has nothing to do with Return really, but 'twas a fond memory of a movie I wasn't even quite sure actually existed.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Horror High

An old roommate of mine had this film on 16mm. He used to tell me about the cut scenes when it played as Twisted Brain on TV. I've always really enjoyed the theme song.

Attached Files:

16. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

Very surprised to see the PG rating on those lobby cards. I wouldn't even think it'd be a PG-13 today!

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It has an R-16 rating in New Zealand but I don't know what year it was released there.

Attached Files:

18. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

19. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I enjoyed Horror High. When I was around 14 years old I was given a one sheet poster for this little movie, which I had never heard of before...I was always intrigued by it, but never got to see it because no rental store in my area carried the VHS.
    Years later, I finally got to check it out as part of the Rhino Horrrible Horrors Collection. I never knew that release was cut until the news of the BCI release started to circulate last year.
    The DVD presentation here is solid and worthwhile. It's great to finally have this in its complete form and looking probably as good as it did back in the 70s.

20. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that the menu for Night Child is of the Septic Cinema variety. I'm glad that Code Red is releasing this in a couple weeks, but Night Child does not deserve such a poor treatment with that menu. Ugh, what the hell?