Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Probably the "other" forums where they cater to Bill's every whim and never convey any constructive critisms against Code Red. In other words, brown nosers.

If Bill can't take constructive critisism against his practices and CR's release quality, he needs to get out of the kitchen. Oh wait...he already did that.

Dobby likes this.
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Who's to say that CR is actually going ahead with this scheme (of selling direct)? Remember the one about them "Closing" by Summer 2011?

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

This is true, it could be a ploy to make everyone panic & buy more from retailers thus bumping up sales.

4. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

The Night of the Demon listing on Amazon seems to indicate that they won't be getting any more copies--so Bill may not be bluffing.

5. elDomenechHDG

:d

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've already got all of the ones I really wanted except for The Redeemer.

I also wanted Primal Rage, but that has been out of print for a while and I've got it on VHS anyway.

Madman is probably my favorite release of theirs.

Another one I would highly recommend is The Carrier. The presentation isn't the greatest, but I was really surprised by how good the movie was. I had never heard of it before Code Red released it, but it became an instant favorite.

Also really enjoyed Trapped and The Dead Pit. The Nightmare Special Edition is also a must own if you are a slasher fan.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

A few points to make...

1) I like Bill a lot based on my interactions with him, but he NEEDS to stay off Twitter, Blogspot, forums, etc, unless he's prepared to really think through what he says several times before he says it. I sympathize with him though, because that's what I have to do as well, thinking everything through before I post it and often deciding not to post as a result, otherwise I believe I'd make a huge fool of myself often.

2) When I worked for several producer's representative firms, we often ran into filmmakers who did not want to sign with us because of the high retainer, or who did not want to take any of the deals on the table because of the high cost of preparing a film for distribution (like creating color corrected digital masters, creating artwork, getting an MPAA rating, the cost of which often fell on the producer contractually) or because the offers on the table simply weren't to their liking. And many of these people would decide they were simply going to self-distribute and set up a website and sell DVDs straight to the customer. Once in a blue moon the stars would align and one of these people would be very successful doing it, but the odds were against them. They would get more money per copy sold, but they would usually sell far fewer copies than they would if they went the standard distribution route.

Of course, most of these people were selling terrible movies that nobody cared about. Code Red sells a lot of terrible movies too, but at least they tend to be movies that people remember and want to see. So maybe he'll have more luck. And Bill does have a point about the difficulties of making money off retail sales. Its even worse if you're a filmmaker who has licensed their movie out, by the time the DVD company has taken their small cut there are basically just pennies left over for you.

3) The fundamental business model that Code Red and other companies like it follow, of licensing these films, giving them beautiful restorations with lots of supplements and putting them on the market with the hope of generating a good profit, is itself a huge part of the problem and needs to be changed. There was a brief window of time in the early days of DVD when it worked really well, before the market was saturated with product, when a decent 480i transfer and supplements ported over from a laserdisc were enough. But since then the landscape has become littered with the remains of dead companies, who lasted for a few years, released some really great discs and then vanished. Even the few companies (ie, Synapse and Blue Underground) who have been able to consistently stay in operation are run by men with no shortage of horror stories about financial difficulties and unprofitable releases. In some sense these companies are more of a hobby for those who own them than a serious way to make a living.

What is really needed at this point is a non-profit corporation dedicated to the preservation of fantastic cinema, sort of a BFI for American horror films. Such an organization could solicit donations for restorations (you could probably get some very big checks from people like Quentin Tarantino) and provide a safe, secure place for independent producers to keep their negatives, no more of this "Well all the film copies seem to be lost, so we used a 3/4" analog master" bullshit. Because at this point there simply isn't a lot of money to be made off these movies, and preserving them needs to be done not from the perspective that a big profit can be made off of them, but rather from a perspective that recognizes their continuing importance to American culture.

8. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I was browsing Amazon.com and decided to check up on the release of Nightmare and what customers were saying about it. While I am, for the most part, happy with the release, I'm still a bit bitter about the little sarcastic (and just plain careless) touches Bill smeared all over this release. And then I came across this review which says it better than I ever could. Caution: This is a long read...

"In the years since Program Power and then BCI acquired the rights to this film / did nothing with them / dissolved & passed the buck to Code Red I have managed to get married, live overseas, and have children... Yes, this DVD really has been a long time coming - at least 7-10yrs... hence my anticipation for this - my favourite non-giallo slasher - was high, and understandably that's a tall order for any long awaited DVD to live up to. Especially a Code Red one.

I remember the days of film fairs in sports halls where, with the right nods and winks, you'd get to see a hand written sheet of A4 with scribbled titles of notorious horror films bootlegged onto VHS - that's how I first saw Nightmare 20yrs ago, so I'm well accustomed to viewing grainy, scratchy, washed out / too dark, badly registered renditions of old horror films, but even so I was quite appalled by the quality of the prints in this DVD set.

Code Red did at one point explain at some length how every print they'd sourced had serious damage and degradation, and the dreadful state of the source material really goes show on the Disc 1 prints - scratches, dirt, dust, corrosion, jumps & sound issues aplenty. Also - the informaton relating to the 4:3 has been massaged somewhat. I had written correspondence with Scavolini myself and he confirmed that the 2005 transfer was done without his knowledge or participation,- indeed Code Red hadn't even approached him at that point and he refuted point blank Code Red's original assertion that Nightmare was filmed for fullscreen presentation only. Scavolini was subsequently brought on board when CR became desparate over source print quality and he DID approve the cut [i.e. edit, run time] of the 2005 transfer but in no way approved [or otherwise] the colour restoration [what restoration - pink credits and 'day' markers? they were and should be RED not PINK]. It is probably OUR insistance and Scavolini's eventual involvement that forced CR to review it's '4:3 assertion' and hunt out wide prints. Why though the quality of the Baird Stafford & Cleve Hall interviews is so bad though I don't know as interview with the 'voice of the editor' whatever his name was in the same featurette is 10x better in terms of quality if not so in content. ALL extras, without fail, on other Code Red DVDs have been far better committed than these - for example The Strangeness and Madman, to name just two. The other featurette, with Ed French was filmed in front of an old filing cabinet and a plie of cardboard boxes from a distance that makes it look as if Ed had been cornered in a dead end and forced to do the interview at gun point. Grotty, shoddy, cheap extras that I would be embarassed to call either 'special' or 'features' were I Code Red. It was interesting to see Baird Stafford on camera though, OR 'Gaird Stafford' as the teeny-tiny white credits on the back of the DVD case say - shoddy, cheap type-setting and proofing there Code Red.

On the subject of the cover, having waited the best part of a decade for BCI / Code Red / Somebody / Anybody to release an uncut DVD of this I wanted a cover to cherish as much as the DVD inside. NOOO... Code Red won't let us have that much even. Instead 'Bill' [Code Red] thought that cheap sarcasm and digs / sour grapes directed at the horror DVD buying community would be the way to go - read the paragraph on the back. It is very sad and extremely childish that Code Red decided to throw his rattle out of the pram and at the customers - the very people putting money in his pocket - time and again usually [a lot of people collect his releases whatver they be]. Any frustrations and incredidulous diatribes Code Red received over this title were CRs own fault - misinformation / lies about screen ratios, scene edits, hollow promises, failed deadlines, months of ignored requests for updates. It could all have been so different with a little information, a little understanding of peoples' enthusiasm for this film, a little customer service - Bill gauged the whole situation very badly and has decided to get the last laugh by sneering at we customers [at large] - in print - on the sleeve, as well as with the shoddy material & presentation... C'mon - how could CR promise a 95min interview with Romano Scavolini without knowing the logistics and costs of getting it translated and subtitled? That interview shouldn't even have been announced until it had been tendered / costed / worked on - that is just irresponsible, and most unprofessional. With THAT interview having held up the DVD - or being cited as the reason - for the last year, it is almost as if CR have succumbed to pressure and just pumped out the DVD anyway, without working on it properly... "Here you are, you want it that badly - have it, and see how you like it." Not the way it should've been handled at all. NOTE - Baird Stafford states, as clear as day, ON CAMERA that ROMANO SCAVOLINI's command of the ENGLISH language was EXCELLENT and that his direction was easy to follow, which makes it even more infuriating that Code Red botched the interview by not finding out enough about Scavolini or properly briefing the interviewer/interviewee first... If someone comes at you in your native language - Italian - of course that's what you're going to speak BUT Scavolini's English IS pretty good, as I know from my contact with him too.

BUT, let us not forget this is a 2 DVD set... Yes, ha-ha Code Red "You fooled us, a DVD-R" [let him think so anyway]. Frankly - despite the still artefact riddled quality of the 3rd, 2011, slightly better [sounds like a disappointing school report card], telecine. Once you've watched Disc 2, the entire movie content of Disc 1 becomes utterly redundant and frankly unwatchable by comparison. I am VERY pleased though that the print 98,04 mins/secs is the fullest print there ever was - with the night time scene of the Director in Paul's Office and the full beach 'Would you be my Dad?' scene both of which were missing from the VHS rental versions of this film [trimmed to make way for the obligatory 30mins of revenue earning trailers]. Additionally, there is 'information' at the bottom edge of the Tara Alexander scene that was not shown in any previous retail print of this film. To me, this print looks like it came from the same original source as the 'Video Kunst' celluloid to VCD transfer that came from Germany and did the bootleg / film fair circuit about 10yrs ago - certainly the appalling level of artefacts is comparable. HOWEVER we should probably stop and consider ourselves lucky and conclude that short of an expensive Vidfire clean-up by the BBC [never going to happen] this is the best that Nightmare is ever going to look, and leave it at that. It is perfectly watchable, and uncut, and widescreen AND the sound on Disc 2 has been boosted about 50% over that of Disc 1 so you can actually leave the ear trumpet in the cupboard...

I've spent a lot of time clarifying the Code Red / Print / Aspect / Scavolini ends of this DVD because they are a HUGE factor in what we have now been given. There are plenty of people either swooning in delight or projecting bile at this film for it's content and execution. I wont do either. It is a competent enough film - especially next to effort like Pieces, Don't Go In The House, or Maniac all of which get rave, gushing, reviews. I like Nightmare a lot and an damned glad to see it on DVD in any shape. I just can't help but think that CR dropped the ball badly with the quality, content and presentation... I'm sure Bill absolutely hated this film and everything about it by the time it was finally green lighted for pressing and, sadly, that is all too evident and all too evidently vented at the punter as well.

4 Stars mostly for the excellent film, probably about an eighth of a star for presentation most of which would be for getting there in the end after all these years."

And there you have it. I couldn't have said it better myself. This is why Nightmare will be my last purchase from Code Red. At this point, I really hope the company goes under so a more competent company can do justice to the films we love, rather than simply packaging them with hate and tossing them at us.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I think I’ve said that same thing a few times on this and a few other forums. Unfortunately there might not be another company that comes after the cult labels we have now. It certainly looks like we aren’t too far away from the sole means of watching old films is via subscription streaming services that mostly offer films owned by major studios. The market for titles like NIGHTMARE is shrinking fast. We should probably support companies like CR for as long as we can because it looks unlikely that there will be a viable way to make money off them for much longer. Like most of you I have a long list of films I’d like to see released before this era ends and we stuck with shoddy bootlegs of VHS transfers.

10. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

While I do agree with you that we should most definitely support small niche companies like this, I find it difficult to do when said companies release a product with a giant middle finger to the customer.

11. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

I have no interest in NIGHTMARE, so perhaps I do not have the necessary level of hostility here--with CR (and all companies) I buy what I want and skip the rest. I have never perceived CR's actions as a "middle finger to the customer," but rather a middle finger to insane internet whiners who hound Bill over every detail, don't actually buy his releases, and spread lies about his product.

HUGE disclaimer: I am not directing the above description at ANYONE on this board, but those people are clearly out there.

I would not deny any of you your right to an opinion in this matter, but this is mine.

12. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  13. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Wow. That interview switched gears, didn't it? I love Code Red, but Bill seems to like talking more than listening, huh? I'm not going to knock him like most of the people here because it's easy to see where he's coming from, but moments such as when the interviewer mentioned him slamming the films on the DVD covers (such as quotes on the back of The Redeemer) and then Bill saying "which ones", the guy not remembering, and Bill saying "yeah because it's so few" (to paraphrase) felt very... copy-outish, if such a word was to exist. Also, he has always been pretty hard on BBNM for some reason. He seems to think that it will bomb and it not a noteworthy title. Which it might. But compared to the rest of his films, BBNM is one of the most famous and renowned. So I fail to see his logic in this manner. Good listen either way. I can't wait to pick up certain titles (Ghostkeeper, BBNM, and finally The Redeemer when I get around to it)

14. elDomenechHDG

I can't listen to the interview while at work - can someone just quickly paraphrase what was said about BBNM? Is it still coming out this year?

15. FinalSora

FinalSora New Member

Bill is not clear on this, unfortunately. He just says that he is in no hurry to release it, but he will eventually. He also said they are still editing the Susan Tyrell interview.

16. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

ok I listened to this....I have trouble understanding anything there sorry.....

my personal opinions aside...

Did I misunderstand totally or did I hear?

He passed over Savage Streets to someone else? (Because the evil folks who dared buy another version available at the time?, couldn't resist)

and Night Warning is coming when ever he decides to finish it?

I used to think my English was adequate..

17. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

That´s exactly what I heard too... the guy must be locked in an asylum.
    First, he makes some propaganda the new Savage print is beautiful, for the people not to buy another version, etc... and now this!

18. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Listened to the "interview" (well, rant - it was very one-sided) earlier today. :eek:

Really think Bill needs to hire a decent spokesperson and somebody to work on his business model. His operation is financial suicide....

19. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

He should just give Night Warning over to his brother at Scorpion. It would be a great Katarina title, and its quality is of Scorpion's catalogue moreso than Code Red's.

20. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I think Code Red should advertise somewhere. I would actually buy more of their titles if I actually knew they existed!