Answering your door for Trick or Treat this year?

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Sep 1, 2021.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Some people hate black cats. I don't know why. I've heard the don't cross the path of a black cat. Sounds silly. I there was a hilarious old cartoon about it. I found a cool cat that I'm going to start a topic about after reading a bit more. Some here might like it.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I know some people get annoyed by that, but when I was a real little kid, there were only a handful of houses on my street. One on either side, then it was like half a mile or more to the next one (not anymore, checking that street on Google Maps now). We would go to those houses, then my dad brought us to a more densely populated development right by my elementary school so we could load up.

So sometimes, people come from areas where trick-or-treating is unfeasible.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Think that's why sometimes mine just poops on the floor for no reason? A little revenge for what people did to her ancestors?

By the way, I won't be doing anything at home for Halloween this year; my film festival schedule came out and Halloween occurs right in the damn middle of it. They're making me lead projectionist again, so I'll almost certainly be there that day.

6. ImmortalSlasher

I never lived anywhere like that. That sounds like a really wealthy area or an upcoming area. The worst was apartment buildings with people working. They wouldn't do any trick or treating.

I swear I saw someone train a cat to use a human toilet and hit the flush button. Yeah it's on youtube. That seems like asking for unneeded germs to me.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Or a very rural area. Almost all of the land on the street where I grew up was apple orchards. I've looked at it on Google satellite though, and all those apple orchards are gone, now replaced by homes.

8. ImmortalSlasher

Actually I vaguely remember going to a few farm houses when I was young. They had a good distance like you mention between homes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still like that. Although even though they were farm houses. I think the people had a lot of money. Land outside of the city might be cheaper but you still need income to buy all that land.

9. ImmortalSlasher

I saw a house today that had a werewolf statue outside. It was another shortcut like when I saw that Pennywise statue a year or two ago. I'll see if I can get a picture. The werewolf was life size. I guess some people are planning on trick or treaters coming by this year.

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

This year, Halloween (much like the Bears and the Blackhawks, among others) seems to have died a little more than it "killed". Despite falling on a Sunday, and the weather being unusually cooperative (for the greater Chicagoland area), we only got one trick or treater.

How did everyone else do?

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ugh, that Bears game was painful. I actually thought we had a shot by half-time. HA! Last time they played on Halloween they won too so I was relying on some history there. Broadcast hardly made mention of the fact it was Halloween!

Here in Kane County, Il, we had a pretty good run. I didn't use up my whole bag of 150 pieces of candy but over half. There were huge swaths of time when I had nobody. I'd say it wasn't the worst year but nowhere close to the best. And that's not counting last year, when I didn't do anything and the city provided a template for a sign I printed out and stuck to the door.

I did only have one big group. And mostly an adult with kid pair. Not too many small groups of random kids or even teenagers. WAY less teenagers.

zbinks likes this.
  12. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Not a single trick or treater at my place and my parents said the same, a few people I know said they got the usual number of trick or treaters though.

13. ImmortalSlasher

Same as last year. Empty streets and no one doing trick or treat.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here, no trick or treaters anywhere near here. I didn't really expect there to be any though... it's been this way for at least the last decade.

I don't think most kids even really get to experience it anymore. Kinda sad... I can honestly be thankful that I grew up (born in early 1975) in the late 70's and on through the 80's and early 90's. I really would not want to be a kid these days. Cellphone obsession? No thanks.

Natas, zbinks and Steel76 like this.
  15. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I changed my mind at the last minute and bought some candy, put out a couple decorations.

Shouldn't have bothered. Only one of my seven neighbors in my apartment building did they same (they went all out), and the porch light hasn't worked on my unit in years so visibility from the street was poor. Even so, I heard/saw only two small groups go by the main street all night, and they didn't turn down my area (the above all out out neighbor was thus skunked as well, they had lit lanterns out and everything, and wandered outside a few times wondering what was up about not getting anyone).

I had bought into the local news hype that Halloween interest was making a comeback after COVID. Pretty much bullshit, what had been a near dead thing for many years remained so. Maybe adults going out to events (and maybe bringing their kids) has increased, but trick 'r treat is dead.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I would say we had about 50% of our pre-covid visitors. We only went through one large box (and I was being fairly generous giving them out), but it was enough that it felt like a legit Halloween again, which was great. We even had ok weather, for the first time in about 5 years.

17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was at my parents' house. My dad and I had put up decorations, as had a handful of other houses on our street. I was curious how many trick-or-treaters we'd get, so I kept score. 13 groups totaling 51 kids came o our door. I'd say that's pretty decent.

baggio likes this.
  18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Normally at 16th street here in Santa Monica there is a huge kid/teen friendly block party - they literally rope the streets off - with some of the more well-to-do folks going ALL OUT on decorations (I mean ALL OUT). One house has a well known walkthrough haunted house. COVID killed it all last year and this year it was a few select houses with lights. But those who were giving out candy were really fun and in the spirit. My kid is 11 so we're closing in on the end of trick or treating, it was a little bittersweet.

baggio likes this.
  19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Around here they block off Main Street for about four blocks and the store merchants and some houses pass out candy. There were tons of kids and their parents all dressed up. It was just after a ton of rain had come through all weekend, so the timing was good. It felt somewhat old timey like Halloween should be - like a carnival or festival. I dug it.

As for our actual house, not a soul.

Mok and baggio like this.
  20. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

We bring our kids into downtown areas (except for last year) and they are always packed as business owners sit on the sidewalk and hand out candy. At any of the half dozen places my wife and I have actually lived since getting married, not one single trick or treater ever.

Mok likes this.