Another reason to hate Artisan (Twin Peaks related)

Discussion in 'General' started by JW77, Nov 9, 2003.

1. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

As if we needed more.

They've recently claimed they will not release Twin Peaks Season 2, apparently due to low sales, or the title not being profitable.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com
    http://www.dugpa.com

Sort of interesting looking at Dugpa's numbers, isn't it? They sold through 150,000 sets of season 1 in the first few weeks of release. So many, in fact, that they had to push the release date back to make more.

Now, I have to wonder...

Of course, they want to make a profit. That's a given. They're a corporation, not a charity. That's a given.

The S1 set seemingly sold beyond their expectations (and seems to have outsold the VHS by a factor of about 4:1 in weeks). What kind of sales were they expecting in order to turn a profit? If it sold better than expected, then presumably, they were expecting to turn a profit before it outstripped their expectations.

At this point, I would be satisfied with about anything. Fuck, they could drop the DTS and just give us old LD transfers for S2, and I'd be happy.

2. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Jesus fuck, maybe if they didnt make us jump through hoops to get the fucking pilot more people would have bought it. Sell the licesence back to Lynch then you fucking asshats. Fuck Artisan.

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

To hell with Artisan. Maybe Lions Gate will think differently and put season 2 out. I hope so, at least.

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Haha, what bullshit. I guess it is time to order that Spanish "Twin Peaks Complete Series" box set that Xploited has been offering.

To think, I could've had this awhlie back, but was holding off for a r1 release of Season 2. What was I thinking! :rolleyes:

5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Sounds interesting...got any links on that one DefJeff or anyone?

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Oh frell. This sucks. Artisan is nothing but a pain in the ass. Someone somewhere will release an ok copy of Twin Peaks 2 right? This cannot be forever. Right?

7. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Yeah, Indiephantom , Zodiac has the correct link to what I was talking about

8. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

Yup, Artisan sucks eternal, it's about as official as it gets now. Still, Paramount is remastering season 2 for release on DVD here in some parts of Europe, so you could always order it from here when it gets released. Mind you, it was supposed to be released in September this year but got postponed, with the reason I guess that Artisan USA couldn't provide the transfers. I take that as evidence that Paramount is serious about following up the release, contrary to Artisan who can't back up their bullshit.

9. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

This was the interesting comment to me:

--We've heard from a significant number of consumers that they don't want to purchase first seasons of any show until the studios demonstrate that they are willing to release further seasons, so they (the buyers) don't get caught without the full run of a TV Show. Gord and I have long maintained that this is a bad strategy for consumers, since studios definitely won't continue to release product that nobody's buying. Twin Peaks seems to have fallen victim to this curse.--

Sounds like you all bought Season 1 - but I'm one of those that would not without the other seasons being there. For a TV show I like, I'm a completist. And I won't buy season 1 without seeing others out there.

The last time I made the dreaded mistake was Law and Order. Bought season 1, and WHUMP - no more Law and Order. I might as well watch the damn reruns.

I can see both sides of the argument, but I'm not happy buying into half a show.

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

What the hell?? No more Law and Order? The real show? Say I am seeing things wrong. I may cry. :cry: I need those Detective Logan episodes now.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The reason I never bought Season 1 of Twin Peaks is solely because it didn't include the pilot episode. Wasn't really an essential buy for me either since I still have the original broadcasts of all the episodes that I taped when they first aired.

12. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

Well I sold my R1 set to get the European equivalent which at least contained the pilot, albeit with a much crappier transfer. I want season 2 pronto, I haven't even begun to watch the first one 'cause I wanted to know that I just could pop in the second season had the urge struck me but now it sounds like it'll be a long wait in either case, region-wise.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Is the pilot included on the R2 the version with the ending edited in?

14. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

Weell, seeing how I haven't watched it yet (yeah, I hang my head in shame) I'm not the right man to answer that but, yes, I'm fairly certain it's the European version with a tacked-on closure.

15. The R2 (UK + German)/R4 boxset contains the normal US pilot version, not the European movie version.

The Spanish boxset of both seasons has below average video and sound quality as well as having only Spanish subtitles for the Red Room scenes instead of English subtitles although that isn't a massive problem.

Oh and also TwinPeaksGazette.com posted an update to this bad news. Here is what they posted:

"This morning I posted a little snippet of information from TVShownsonDVD. I contacted our contact from Artisan this morning concerning this and the contact informed us that from what this person has been told, this is not the case, and that Twin Peaks Season 1 sold just fine. So once again, we are in limbo. The only thing we can do at this point is contact Lions Gate, the new owners of Artisan, and let them know we want season 2 on DVD. You can contact them at this email : feedbacklg@lionsgatefilms.com."

So, Twin Peaks: Season Two might still be coming...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2003
  16. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

Comforting news, and, yes, I checked out my Swedish boxset and I had, in all my haste, posted the wrong info concerning the pilot. It's like Evil Disco Guy says.

17. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Does anyone know when the Paramount Season 2 discs will be released?

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just picked up Law and Order: Crime Scenes. It's a 2-Disc set with 8 episodes picked by Dick Wolf. Not as good as a season box set naturally, but some good episodes nonetheless. None are season 1, so nothing from the season 1 box set overlaps.

19. marcx

marcx Active Member

anyone know how bad were talking on the spanish set qualtiy wise? i slways fond it more appealing to get a full set at once....