Another pointless remake

Discussion in 'General' started by adric, Jun 28, 2004.

1. adric

adric New Member

:bs:
    does this piss anyone off as much as me? why cant they try to make new movies instead of ruin old ones

2. this is old news...but I wanna see it...I have no real problem with remakes.

remakes don't ruin the original film for me and it gives me a chance to watch the movie again from a fresh start

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I'm starting to agree with that perspective, Deus. Another thing is that it introduces new fans to classic films, who might otherwise never watch them. A lot of people who enjoy the remake, might check out the original.

4. let's not forget how many people won't watch movies older than them.

If some 15 year old might enjoy zombies in films but not want to watch the OG Dawn because it's from the 70's and from a certain perspective anything from the 70's is cheesy and bad so there's a new Dawn that, yeah, might get people interested to see what the old Dawn looks like.

5. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Agreed!
    The original is still there for fans to cherish. I could care less about this remake. I'm more interested in the 2000 Maniacs and The Hills Have Eyes remakes.

6. i think its better to remake a film then to digitally edit a film like they did to the star wars ones...

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm really worried about is Ja Rule. Other than that the cast is pretty impressive.

8. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Eh who cares what other people watch? I don't mind remakes either. I wouldn't care if someone remade every single one of Argento's movies. I'd probably go see them too.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Me too. I used to be very uptight about remakes, but they don't really bother me anymore.

10. exactly...like Lucas is doing to THX1138 too...it's one thing for Coppolla to add old footage to Apocalypse now...

I don't really mind when digital effects are used to correct any errors which might have been in older films but this revisionist history that Lucas is doing is appalling.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

still anti-remake here (although, Assault on Precinct 13 is pretty much a remake of Rio Bravo and other westerns to begin with).

I've detailed this before, but it just irks me when I list my favorite horror films, and have to append "the original version" to the end.
    As far as getting people to see the originals, that's what video stores are for. If they're too lazy to look away from the New Release shelf, then they're probably not gonna be impressed by an older movie anyway.

And of course, the biggest issue, why remake good films, when there are so many unfilmed novels and screenplays in existence? Next time you're at the book store, look at the horror section, and count how many of those novels have been turned into films. Even if only a tiny percentage of those novels are made into movies, we'd have enough new horror to last a long time that way.

Finally, I know there are some aspiring scriptwriters on this board. How do you guys feel about racking your imagination for ideas that you think are new, when all some hack has to do is re-work something that's already been done?

12. There are no new stories...long before films were invented there were no new stories...before mechanical printing presses there were no new stories...before the printed word there were no new stories

there are only a finite amount of plots and stories and I believe they were all invented from the days of oral traditions

13. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

No Darwin Joston... not interested. I have nothing against the remake (since Carpenter's film was based on Rio Bravo), especially if it encourages others to see the original. I wonder how many wanted to see the original Dawn after the remake came out? :fire:

14. You cant deny that original films are being made... look at asian cinema for starters!

15. actually wround here you couldn't rent the original Dawn because it was always out....so obviously people were renting it like mad

16. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

Not sure about that... since all stories are derivative in one aspect or another. But for anyone that has seen Lynch's "Lost Highway" or "Save The Green Planet", you probably wouldn't disagree. Heck, i'm still waiting for a film that approaches "Hard Boiled" in it's bombastic, over-the-top qualities... :fire:

17. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I don't agree with you about a finite amount of stories. I'm sure there's a finite a mount of themes, but not stories. The stories are about the characters and events and atmosphere and whatever else. You can't put a limit on all of that.

18. Sure you can....there are only a finite amount of stories, characters and plot....and 10,000 years of human history that's full of story telling...I'd say we ran out of new ones about 8,000 years ago (conservatively)

19. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

it seems like most but not all horror movies coming out are just remakes of other movies.

20. adric

adric New Member

^ thats how i feel. maybe a remake here and there is ok but i hate how half the movies coming out now are remakes. ive heard a number of times ppl say how the remake is better then the original or they dont know that its a remake in the first place. and that is what pisses me off the most. the only remakes im interested in is the 2000 maniacs one and the black christmas one.