Anna And The Apocalypse - Christmas Zombie Musical

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 21, 2018.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

2. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Original short here:

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Damn. I ordered that thing on Monday from Amazon freaking UK, and it arrived today! I took the cheapest shipping option too! And there was a holiday this week, no less.

People bitch about Amazon sometimes, but with service like that it's no wonder the brick-and-mortars are dying.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Just watched it on Hulu. It was fun but nothing I’d need to see twice.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Third viewing last night. Saw the US cut in a theater (93 min), then with the Second Sight blu-ray I watched the UK theatrical last December (98 minutes) and finally the Extended Cut last night (108 minutes).

This is definitely a movie that gets better with every viewing. The songs are really great, and once you get to know them you start looking forward to certain ones on repeat viewings. I also love these characters, and the movie really rips your heart out when it kills them. On the first viewing I was maybe a little too distracted with the plot and the musical numbers to be paying attention to the allegory equating adolescence and the end of high school to the apocalypse. It's even intrinsically tied into all the musical numbers. The characters who are turned into zombies are the ones who would never escape their home town anyway, meanwhile the ones in the car at the end asking "what's next?" are exactly those who would. It's really clever, and it gives the deaths an even bigger punch because you're saying goodbye to these characters in more ways than one.

Great movie. If I were to go back and re-do my original review on the first page of this thread, it would be much more enthusiastic.

Where things get confusing are the multiple cuts. I think the ending of the Extended Cut is probably the most effective, and best hammers home the whole point of the movie. I do like the "Hollywood Ending" reprise in the US cut, notably missing from either of the UK cuts, but they spoil it with a cheap last second jump scare (which is held until mid-credits on the Extended). The US cut is missing a lot of nice character moments too, including a better introduction for the Chris character. That said, I do think a shorter cut of the movie (US or UK theatrical) is probably the best way to see it for the first time, as musicals can be a bit polarizing on the first viewing. Save the Extended Cut for when you already know the songs and characters a bit.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wow. I was just coming here to post about this movie, and thought I'd have to do a search for it, but here you've already bumped up the thread.

I too just watched the extended cut last night, and felt it dragged a little bit (even though the bulk of what makes it "extended" is a song that was completely cut from the theatrical versions. I think I'll stick to the theatrical version for future viewings.

But I also never considered the angle you mention, about the survivors being the ones more likely to leave their home town and branch out into the world. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I see it.