Anchor Bay Blu-ray: Halloween, Evil Dead & of the Dead

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Jul 6, 2007.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Looks like it, but I NEED some screenshots. I have to see it to believe it, but it looks like Don May Jr.'s on the case:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=262384

This review link is from Robert Harris, but as he himself says "I don't know what cinematographer Dean Cundey's intentions were." He does confirm it's an amazing transfer. Too god damn sweet.

Though I'm still going to have to wait for official words directly from someone at AB or wait for someone with enough in the know like Don May before I order.

Reports are that ED2 and Dawn look pitch perfect, all containing the original mono sound as well. Looks like AB got it right the first time.

2. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I got all the Starz Blu Rays on pre-order. Well, all except the Masters Of Horror discs. I had a feeling that these releases would be done proper because talk about shooting yourself in the foot putting out sub-standard material a year into the high-def formats lifecycle. This is different than DVD by a huge margin because you can't get away with using old masters, especially now, since the intended medium for viewing is an HDTV. Is this a guarantee of quality? No, but the main purchasers of this content will have a higher expectation and any sup par releases will be mocked thoroughly. Unlike DVD where the masses bought discs with shitty transfers, totally jizzing in their pants, and then be totally confused by or even hostile towards a vocal minority who were criticizing the hell out of the transfers. A consumer base that was content with mediocre presentation really held back DVD in my opinion. I am just hoping that all those Italian classics that got the shit end of the stick can finally get proper treatment. Another bonus of the high def format is that there will no longer those pesky PAL to NTSC conversions that tended to ruin a somewhat decent transfer. I can’t wait to see what Starz will release next, and at what pace it will be at.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looks like the BD's color timing is greatly improved over the Divimax release, but still NOT like the THX release: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=911963

I'll quote Don May to sum it up:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=262384&page=2

Very frustrating, probably won't get a second shot at this for awhile either.

It's hard to say how accurate the THX release really was though. It may have been a rush job with limited technology and perhaps not truly what Dean Cundey wanted. It's happened before.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

So I was doing a comparison with the Day of the Dead Blu-ray features and the ones included in my two disc set, appears to be nearly identical. I guess I can sell it off. Well, I'll keep the neat booklet and stick it in the Blu-ray case.

5. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

region A , guess that leaves me out , no reason to upgrade for a blu ray player yet

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Where'd you read that? That would suck but may explain why AB went with Blu-ray. Hopefully some region hacks will start making their way out there.

Bad news for Day of the Dead is that the 5.1 sound still has the TV censored dialog in it. Good news is that reportedly the mono track is the uncensored original theatrical track. So at least the true theatrical presentation is still intact. I'll be buying Day, I'm lukewarm on ED2 (doubt they'll do a better job), will skip Halloween till they do it right and will wait for the Ultimate set for Dawn.

7. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I don't know about everyone else, but a film like ED or ED2 does not excite me to see a hi def version of. There are just certain films that lose something in the pristine clarity of digital transfers, something both gained and lost in the organicness of a film print. Of course I'm referencing the oft-referenced blatantness of some of the special effects that is now noticeable thanks to digital prints that weren't noticeable on VHS. Will I ever go back to VHS just so I DON'T see the matte lines around the moon in the first ED? Probably not. But I think a good majority of us agree that a certain feeling and atmosphere was lost when some of our favorites made the leap from analog to digital. It may be a generational thing, affecting those of us who grew up with VHS. Somehow the murkiness of a washed-out rented VHS copy of Texas Chainsaw made the whole experience grittier and scarier. No, we should never again have to deal with the horrible versions of Dead & Buried and the last reel of The Prowler, but maybe enough is a enough for films under a certain budget.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Well a lot lot of stuff like wires and mattes can be cleaned up, rather cheaply too. Instead they spend their money to add EE, DNR the hell out of it and cooking up half baked audio remixes which only create more errors the modern viewers chock up to the original film's low budget. To a certain extent producers feel that ED2 is what is it, the audience "expects" to see the stick holding up the flying eye ball because it's just a "bad movie." They don't give a damn, and most viewers agree.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well in terms of the Evil Dead 2 scene you referenced, I've seen that stick in every copy I've owned, from my old VHS from the early 90's all the way up to the AB special edition. Like you said though a lot of it can be cleaned up, but isn't. I believe George Lucas did that with his special editions of the original Star Wars trilogy, which was one of the few good things about those releases. The technological limitations of the film's budget really doesnt hinder the experience for me. I love the film for what it is and what it is trying to present to me.

10. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Watched Dawn last night, looked good.

I picked up Halloween, Dawn Of The Dead, and Day Of The Dead. Not a huge Evil Dead 2 fan, so I thought I'd hold off on that one.

Curious to check out Halloween and see how it looks.

11. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

I've read reviews on Halloween that say it suffers from the same colour issues that their divimax edition suffered from.. having said that, i will still most likely pick it up because i am an upgrade junkie

12. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

if there's no announcement or hubbub surrounding it, maybe it's just a repackaging of the initial release? new cover or something...

14. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Most likely a repackage. It would be nice if they put all of the past supplimentals and bonus features in one nifty and convenient package, but I'm not getting my hopes up, after all, this is Anchor Bay we're talking about.

15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I have a feeling it's just a straight repackaging of the existing Blu-Ray with a new UPC and a slightly lower MSRP. Anchor Bay's also releasing new editions of Django Unchained, Killing Them Softly, Law Abiding Citizen, Lawless, The Lords of Salem, and a Steve Austin 4-pack that day with a $17.99 MSRP each.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

These are all apparently re-releases as steelbooks.