AMERICAN NIGHTMARE (1983) and DEATH SHIP (1980) from Scorpion 11/6

Discussion in 'General' started by bruce h, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed... watched it the other night, and the transfer was more than adequate. If nothing else, it's definitely an upgrade over the old VHS.

:lol:

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Loved AMERICAN NIGHTMARE. This was one gritty flick. Transfer was watchable but a weird green ring popped up around the edge of the frame every now and then. Sort of felt like I was watching the film through binoculars. It was probably some light being reflected off of the camera lens.

I passed on the DEATH SHIP DVD but grabbed Scorpion's other release, BABY SISTER, which I enjoyed very much.

3. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

So psyched for my Blu of DeathShip - hurry!

5. startide

startide Member

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

People at blu-ray.com are whining to Scorpion because I guess they slightly altered the coloring on the Death Ship blu-ray. I think the original version was tinted, but the tint has been removed.

They posted comparison caps, but from what I saw it was nothing worth complaining about. The blu-ray looks like a huge improvement in my eyes.

I hope this doesn't deter Scorpion from going further into the blu-ray market.

8. Katatonia

They whine about everything on that forum. I have the UK DVD, and judging from the Blu-ray screengrabs I've seen it's a nice improvement.

This is what Scorpion had to say about the transfer:

That's good enough for me.

9. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Guess it will depend of the sales, but as I often say if I start my label someday I would never touch that format at all. The home penetration is too small, a good part of the blu-ray market is only interested in recent movie and the constant complaining for insignifiant details is annoying. To resume my thinking too much trouble for the works...

No wonder so many small labels doesn't go HD when we see anal criticism for every releases. I don't know but the question I ask to myself when I watch a blu-ray is "Is it better than what I already own on other format?", if the answer is yes I'm happy as I don't expect perfection for movies released 20, 30, 40 or more years ago.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

^^ It's nice that there is a place where you can get in-depth and overly critical reviews. That way we know what we are getting. It's not like we all expect %100 perfection before we purchase. If its a title I'm interested in, I know what is a deal breaker and what isn't. THE RAID REDEMPTION received a terrible review. That didn't keep me from buying it.

11. Katatonia

Scorpion did a great job on the Death Ship Blu-ray. For a first time effort, they really nailed it. The reversible coverart with the foreign posters on the reverse side was a nice touch. And a standard HD Slim case and none of that eco crap!

...and the colors look perfectly fine on the transfer.

12. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

I have always enjoyed this movie. Very eerie and spooky. The bluray looks better than I could have ever imagined. The colour's do seem a little different in parts to what i'm used to, but better if anything. Much more detail and very clear image. Excellent effort from Scorpion.

13. Katatonia

14. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Hi, thanks for the compliment, glad you like my choice on the Slim Case, and hope you liked the isolated music score as well, as I always loved the score, and when the oppotunity came up where I was able to do a music only track, I included it on the finished product.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

reading back over this thread, i was surprised that American Nightmare was getting kind of lost in the shadow of the Death Ship blu ray for the first few pages. I agree, it was a really great surprise. I love all the early 80's Toronto landscapes, and the CN Tower so prominent during the rooftop conclusion. "American" Nightmare, indeed!

Haven't gotten around to picking up Death Ship, yet. I'm sure I will though, somewhere down the road. In the meantime though, I'd highly recommend American Nightmare to anybody and everybody.

16. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

'Anal' and 'Penetration' in the same post? Paging Dr.Freud, paging Dr. Freud. Just kidding. LOL.
    You make some very good points.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

hopefully The Incubus has a good transfer it comes out 1/22

18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I understand your point, but few things irk me more than seeing a small label aquire a favourite title of mine only to give it yet another DVD release... Blu-ray is my prefered format now, and if the company isn't giving me the product that I want, I won't be buying from them.

That said, as happy as I am that Scorpion is beginning to look into blu-ray, I wish they hadn't chosen Death Ship for their first release - I simply don't care for it. But it probably isn't as risky a move as Code Red choosing The Electric Chair over Just Before Dawn for their first release. :eek: :confused:

19. Katatonia

It'll have the same transfer as the old Elite DVD, as Scorpion have already previously stated.

The original negatives are now missing, thanks to the morons at Liberation Entertainment (now thankfully extinct) who last had them.

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I always came close to renting The Incubus but never did, is it any good? Is it really as nasty as people say it is with the rape angle? Always sounded like a strange, perverse film to me.