American Horror Story - Freak Show

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It started off interesting and I really liked Twisty the clown and where they were going with him but it got a bit boring once he was out of the picture. I think this season had one of the worst endings that felt rushed and thoughtless. I'm assuming if another seons happens it'll be set in modern times as the pattern for seasons so far has been modern, period, modern and period again.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Gee, I actually liked the finale. Might have been my favorite of the 4 seasons, as previously they seem to have the story wrapped up before the finale (Asylum especially), and the last episode is mere filler. In Freak Show, there were still a few stories that needed closure, and we got it.

However, up until the finale it was a total mess. Like usual. The NPH plot really came out of nowhere and didn't fit. The last good episode of Freak Show was the Pepper story, even if Mare Winningham and her husband were the least subtle villains ever.

And I still never bought into Sarah Paulson having two heads.

I did like Ma Petite a lot though.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I liked the finale as well. It was a lot better than seasons 1 & 3. I agree with everyone else that the season itself wasn't the strongest, but none of them have been particularly impressive; it's been a mess from the beginning. And that isn't always a bad thing.

4. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Count me in as one who enjoyed the finale. As a whole, the season was much improved over Coven, which didn't do much for me.

5. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

I thought it was a decent season, and the finale at least wrapped things up nicely....rushed as it was. A huge improvement over that mess that was Coven. The one thing about Coven though that was good....Lily Rabe. Missed her this time around.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Agree 100%! Don't understand how some people think Coven was the best season.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

There are people who think Coven was the best season? News to me. I thought it was unanimously reviled amongst fans.

I thought Coven started out well, then went to crap (like most seasons). Angela Bassett was the best thing about it.

8. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Yea, I was reading some reviews for the blu ray and couldn't believe how many thought it was the best one yet. Hell, all the people I know who watched it loved it! Never understood that.

9. Zombie Dude

I loved Coven but that was because I really enjoyed the characters and how they interacted. I was definitely disappointed though that plot points and character arcs seemed to be either waisted or skipped over but it was still a pretty awesome season because the characters were so interesting for me.

10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Overall this was leaps and bounds better than the past season, but again I felt like there were one too many characters. As great of an actress Sarah Paulson is, her character could have been completely eliminated from the plot and would have not made any real difference in the outcome of the story. The biggest offense has to be the sub-par ending. It dragged on and on for what seemed like fucking forever and by the time it was over I didn't really care. Four seasons deep and this series has yet to come up with a season finale that is truly memorable.

11. Zombie Dude

Really? I thought the first seasons ending was unexpected, emotional and memorable. Though I could be thinking an episode or two before the actual finale.

One of my issues with this season is a lot of the characters were either too unlikable at times or not interesting or integral to the plot. It started off wanted to make the freaks likable as they were just seeking purpose and acceptance in the world but then decided to make us hate them because they just start killing one another and plotting against each other.
    I also felt like the rich, spoilt kid went nowhere. He could have been a much better character but they didn't use him enough and had him chucking his stupid tanties all the time. The last half of this season Id say is the worst of all the seasons as it just got too boring and lost that magical/supernatural flair the other seasons had.