All thing's MARIO BAVA

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Jimbo, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I just got through watching The whip and the body last night.I love Bava's direction and use of light in this movie.Now i am in the mood to watch all of my bava collection.
    It has come to my attention that several of the image disk's are oop.Is there any word out there on if these movies will get some restoration?
    On another note,( Danger Diabolik ) Was suppost to be released next week from paramount.And now i have checked and it has been postponed,Any word on this?
    All in all i just wanted to hear everyones thought's on Bava.His direction,Use of color,etc....

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

3. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I am a big fan of Bava's work. He is one of my favorite horror directors along with Argento, Bob Clark, and Geoge Romero. I have not seen several of his movies but I like each one that I have seen. Black Sunday was the beginning of Horror in Italy, made Barbara Steele a cult figure, and is a must for all classic horror fans. Great stmosphere and cinematography in this one.
    Blood and Black Lace: to me this is the first slasher film and is well ahead of it's time. The violence is great and the red herring filled plot is great. A good starting point for any fan of Giallo films.
    The Whip and the Body: This is a personal favorite of mine. The music and cinematography are beautiful through the movie and the surpirse ending was much appreciated.
    Planet of the Vampires: Fun, science fiction/ horror films. Don't let the title fool you. The dead space astronauts are more zombie like than vampire. Not a great movie but Bave does a great job with limited resources. Once again the cinematography and atmosphere are amazing.
    Kill Baby Kill: A highly underrated movie that deserves more recognition. All of the trademarks of a Bava film are here and is definitely worth seeing.
    Twitch Of the Death Nerve: This gets credit for being the first body count movie. Although it's not one of my favorite Bava movies, I still can appreciate how influencial and ahead of it's time it was. Gotta love the ending .

4. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I just watched the Beastie Boys Criterion yesterday, and the video "Body Movin'" totally spoofs the movie Diabolik. I want to see it now. I've started collecting Bava films, but the only one I have watched so far is Twitch of the Death Nerve.

5. Dwhots

Dwhots New Member

I am a huge Bava fan, I have:
    Black Sunday (his first with great black and white photography)
    Black Sabbath ( the Drop of Water episode is amazing, creeped me out as a kid still does)
    Whip and the Body (one of best, this is how to do an erotic ghost story)
    Blood and Black Lace ( the giallo to end all giallo's)
    The Girl Who Knew Too Much ( the first italian giallo, with this one you can see the frame work that we know and love today)
    Hercules in the Haunted World (the dvd for this is simply put unreal, I use to own the old dubbed full screen Rhino version which was murky, almost colorless, now it looks amazing with bold blue, reds and greens, and try and spot the match stick colum)
    Hatchet for a Honeymoon (it reminds me a little of American Psycho)
    Four Times that Night (bava's sex comedy, typical bava visuals stand out)
    Lisa and the Devil (this is one of his best, a total dreamlike quality, a lot better than House of Exorcism cut, which I have but am not too proud of)
    Shock (bava's last, the color is not up to par but it has some of his best shocks)
    Planet of the Vampires (pretty cheesy on the whole, but keeping in mind our cheep it was and how amazing the planet looks, not to mention the fact that it is quite simular to Alien, makes it a wiiner)
    Rabid Dogs (this is a hard one to find, if you can find it in any shape or form grab it, this is one of the best crime films I have ever scene)
    Kill Baby, Kill ( bava at his gothic best, the little girl with the bouncing ball has been done to death, this is where it all began)
    Twitch of the death Nerve (the grand daddy of all slasher films)
    Knives of the Avenger (Shane, with swords instead of guns)
    Giant of Marathon (co-directed, not bad, wish the disc was better for the bava photography)
    Vampiri, I (not done this one all the way yet, bava co-directed it with Riccardo Freda)

Image is bringing out a Bava box set, I am not too sure what is on it, but I recommend everyone to pick it up.

cheers

6. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I have been trying to find Rabid dogs.Thats the only one i need.
    Were did you hear that Image was releasing a box set??

7. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

we need a better DVD release of BAY OF BLOOD pronto!!!!!!!!!!

8. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I completely agree with you, it does need a better DVD release and I noticed you changed your avatar. You have good tastes in women. :)

9. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

thanks...........