A couple movies I'm wondering about...

Discussion in 'General' started by Korngold, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Hey Guys,

I got back from a Retrofantasma Shining/Lost Boys double feature in Durham. I was wondering if you all can help me find out the status of these several movies shown in the trailers before the feature. I'd like to know if they're on blu-ray/dvd or appearing soon.

The Unseen - I know the code red dvd is out of print. Any word if we may see a re-release or blu-ray soon?

Blood Beach - The trailer made it look like killer quicksand. Crazy.

It Came Without Warning - This one looked really good, but trailers do lie.

Alligator - I remember this one may have hit the states a couple months ago. There was talk the UK DVD being good too.

Thank you all for your help.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Blood Beach and Without Warning haven't been released on dvd yet so your going to have to download those to watch them.

Same with The Unseen I guess. Unless you want to fork out $90 or so for it. I was lucky to get mine for $30 shipped.

Alligator is on US dvd but I think in the UK you can get it in a double feature pack with the sequel.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The Unseen - No re-release scheduled. So you'll have to track down the OOP Code Red DVD.

Blood Beach - Still in unreleased limbo. And also who owns it limbo.

It Came Without Warning - Also in unreleased limbo. However MGM does, or at least did, own this so could potentially come out on the MOD program...

Alligator - If referring to the Lewis Teague/Robert Forster film, it's been out on DVD from Lionsgate since 2007. If the Sergio Martino flick "The Alligator" MYA just released it early last year.

4. Korngold

Korngold New Member

You guys are awesome thank you. What's your opinion on those films? Worth tracking down?

Can't believe it came without warning isn't released yet. That trailer was awesome.

Trailer link:
    http://youtu.be/dcFtmGcx9nI

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The UK Alligator also has commentary and DTS, plus the sequel. If you're region free it should be cheap on amazon.uk from a second hand seller who ships to the states.

6. Zombie Dude

I've only seen Blood Beach and Without Warning out of the bunch. I have a downloaded copy of The Unseen (because I don't want to open my dvd) which I still have to watch asap.

Blood Beach isn't too bad. I enjoyed it until the end when we see the monster which is a bit of a letdown.

Without Warning I found boring and painful to sit through. It just dragged for me. There's some good stuff in it but it moves like a snail.

Still want to get Alligator because it looks like a pretty fun film. I heard the sequel is bad but I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with the first.

7. Zombie Dude

It's pretty cheap just through Amazon uk itself. I might pick a copy up soon.

8. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Just bought mine and picked up the SE of the Hitcher (original).

9. Zombie Dude

Good pick-up :) Let us know what you think of the movie (Alligator).

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I revisited Alligator recently and it is still a blast. Starts a bit slow, but it is awesome as can be for it's time in the final half hour or so. Easily one of the best "nature run amuck" films ever, and holds up quite well, only clothes and hair really date it at all.

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

The poster is as good as Blood Beach gets. Without Warning is a blast.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, Alligator is great. The Unseen definitely has its charms, although i think i was expecting too much from it when i saw it. haven't seen blood beach or without warning.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Don't hold me to this but I think the Another World label in Europe is working on a DVD of WITHOUT WARNING.
    Hey Korngold,glad to hear you're going to Durham's Retrofantasma screenings,I love them.Jim Carl,who manages those shows is a great guy.I was in town last October for the Escapism Festival,saw THE ROAD WARRIOR and FLETCH.You should check out the retro screenings at The Colony Theater in Raleigh as well.I saw a double of DEEP RED and PIECES there recently,fun stuff.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Alligator is a hugely enjoyable film and a great companion piece to Piranha (both make the most of John Sayles's witty scripts). Robert Forster is always a plus in my book too. He makes a very likeable lead.

The Unseen has an interesting cast. But I wouldn't recommend paying outrageous resale market prices to see it. It's fun to see Sidney Lassick (he has a smaller part in Alligator) slumming so badly. And if you're a fan of Animal House you'll undoubtedly get a laugh out of Stephen "Flounder" Furst's appearance. But despite their best efforts and the hotness of Bond girl Barbara Bach there's nothing particularly special about the film.

I hoped Blood Beach would provide as much goofy fun as C.H.U.D. It doesn't. If you can obtain a cheap copy it might be worth watching once. But I wouldn't go too far out of my way for it.

I haven't seen It Came Without Warning.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I will say that I think The Unseen is a pretty good slasher. It's not up there with The Burning, My Bloody Valentine, or The Prowler. It's not overly gory, but it does have a couple of suspenseful moments, and I liked the cast. I'd recommend it if it saw a re-release.

I was less impressed with It Came Without Warning. The cast is interesting, but the movie lacks the technical chops to make the horror scenes zing. I didn't outright dislike it, though, and I might give it another chance. A similar though more enjoyable film for me would be The Dark (1979).

16. Korngold

Korngold New Member

:eek:

Damn, Erick how did I miss a double feature of those. I love retrofantasma, but it's a 30-40 minute drive. Jim is a awesome guy. In fact April 20 he's showing Curtains! Which, to me, is amazing considering there's not really a great dvd anywhere for the film. One of my biggest regrets as a horror fan is not seeing the Beyond there. Obiviously from my avatar that's one of my favorite films.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  17. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot for "The Unseen" having watched it on USA's Saturday Nightmares when I was an impressionable youth. It's rather tame compared to other slashers of the era but the story and performances are truly bizarre and make it worth seeing. But those prices are outrageous. I bought mine when it first came out and have watched it a couple times. Maybe Shout Factory or Blue Underground might consider a re-release.

18. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

http://www.njutafilms.com/without-warning/

it was the without warning dvd they had planned, but a notice a long while ago ( can't find it sorry) said it was postponed indefinatly because they couldn't find decent materials to work with ...sigh

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'm in Virginia so I only get down that way a few times a year but the Retrofantasma is always a blast.I was there last January for TERROR TRAIN and THE FOG,then ended up in the area again a couple of times that summer,saw JAWS 2 and THE LEGACY and THE EYES OF LAURA MARS and VISITING HOURS.The screenings at The Colony are not quite as fancy as the Retrofantasma but they always screen lots of vintage trailers and have a fun atmosphere.The guys who run those used to be Jim's partners on Retrofantasma.Most of the time it's only a single film (and they do grindhouse style action flicks too) but twice a season they do double features.Besides DEEP RED and PIECES I also caught a double bill of ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 and THOU SHALL NOT KILL....EXCEPT.All in 35mm.Check out their website,they have stuff posted for the next couple of months.

I'd love to make it down for CURTAINS ,haven't seen that since I was a kid !