40 YEARS OF FRIDAY THE 13TH!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Matt89, May 9, 2020.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I was watching some clips on Youtube and I think I know what you mean. It just sounds like a variation of the ki ki ki ma ha ha sound to me.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It’s definitely a variation of the ki ki ma sound, but unlike the original sound which was used purely for atmospheric purposes, the way they use this new sound it is only when Jason is on screen, as if it’s specifically emanating from Jason. Like I said, I just find it weird.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

I don't think I ever made that connection but you're right. I think it adds to the tackiness. Jason was making those sounds the whole time lol. It is pretty silly and I don't like it either.

maybrick likes this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I didn't like Part 7 at all for a long time. But people here kept saying it was one of the better ones. And a few years ago it was on cable. I watched it a bunch of times and grew to like it. Now it's one of my favorites.

The boxing scene is classic. So many kills in Part 8 are so over the top and mean spirited.

Part 6 Tommy is my favorite too. He's like the only true male hero in the whole series.

Can you link the video? I don't know this laughing Jason sound.

5. Zombie Dude

I just search a few clips from Part 7 on Youtube. It's basically the ki ki ki ma ha ha sound but it tends to only play when Jason is on the screen making it seem a little like it's just coming from him lol

So I finally got my Friday the 13th box set yesterday from TCM. I was worried as I could hear the set moving around in the box they packed it in. Opened it up and there was zero protection but somehow the set itself was pristine. Massive relief!

Obviously after all the complaints about scratches and whatnot my next step was to go through it all and do the checks (still pretty annoying to have to do for a brand new set). My Bonus Disc 2 was the worst of the set and was quite scratched up. Apart from that A New Beginning, FvJ and Friday had a minor scratch, FvJ's cover art had a small tear (weird as I mentioned the set was pristine on the outside), and JGTH's cover doesn't line up on the spine right.
    All up I think I did pretty well with my set. I've already messaged Shout about the few issues so I'm hoping they do good and fix them. I am a little worried now as I saw someone on blu-ray.com got a message back from them claiming they don't ship overseas which is just ridiculous as they are sending those replacement discs (Friday 3D, JGTH & Jason X) internationally.

Anyway, I was able to watch JGTH last night and I actually had a pretty good time with it. The score and gore kept it pretty fun for me and I actually found myself enjoying some of the character interactions this time.
    I actually find the ending kind of weak and a little on the abrupt side. Plus it kind of works against the movie bringing Jason back for such a tiny amount of screen time. By that stage you've kind of forgotten about Jason being anything other than this body jumping demon akin to the alien in The Hidden. I think one of my biggest issues with the film was that we're told Jason needs to find another Voorhees to become near invincible again, but when he does he comes back as the mutated and damaged Jason from the start. It always seemed weird to me that he wasn't remade into something different or at least a version of himself that wasn't so visually damaged.
    That nitpick aside I mostly had fun with this one which was kind of surprising.

6. maybrick

I first noticed the “laugh” being used in Part 7, but its much more prevalent in Part 8. There’s one instance in that clip after he crashes through the window where you can hear it, but otherwise it doesn’t do it justice.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. ImmortalSlasher

I had to listen to that a few times. I never considered it a laugh. Just part of the Jason is there theme.

8. Zombie Dude

I think that's the whole point maybrick is trying to make. Before those films the classic score was mainly used for atmosphere but in these movies it's basically Jason's theme and can give the illusion that it just comes out of Jason lol.

9. maybrick

This is a better example of what I’m talking about.

ImmortalSlasher and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. maybrick

I’ve rewatched the entire series now since getting the box and some of them have improved while others have gotten worse with age. I enjoyed FvJ and the remake more than I did when they were new, although I still have a problem with FvJ’s clunky methods of conveying exposition and the remake’s choice to withhold the title screen for a ridiculously long 24 minutes. Jason X just feels like a cheap Canadian made for Sci-Fi Channel production. Way too over lit and just plain cheesy, even though that was probably the point. Part 7 is just dire in all respects. Part 8 is nearly as boring, and rewatching 7-10 only made me hate Hodder’s interpretation all the more. He isn’t any more scary to me than a WWF wrestler dressed up for Halloween, as that’s precisely what all of his “emoting” reminds me of.
    I still enjoy Part 9 a lot. It’s pretty gonzo and I appreciate that they tried something new, even if their idea of something new was to borrow from The Hidden. Still feels a little too much like a cheapo 80s Canadian TV production but I can live with it.
    Part 6 is still fun because they took the ridiculousness of Jason’s return in the right frame of mind. It’s basically the only comedy of the series.
    Part 5 is great, but actually kind of loses something once “Jason” finally makes his grand entrance. The whole barn sequence is kind of lame as he doesn’t seem to know what the hell he wants to do.
    I don’t really have much to say about the first four. They’re the entire reason to buy the set, IMO, for the new 4K transfers and ESPECIALLY for having Part 3 in real 3D!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Zombie Dude and russweiss like this.
  11. Jamie

Jamie Member

Any of you that have the set and are getting the fixed Part 3 disc, please let me know if you'd be willing to trade/sell the unfixed disc. Part 3 is my favorite and I've wanted to see the 3D version for years.

12. Zombie Dude

I forgot to mention that I noticed what I think is digital distortion during some scenes in JGTH. The main one that comes to mind is during the scene with the campers at night. Blacks looked off like a poor quality torrent file or something. Anyone else notice this?

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'm watching the new interview with Adam Marcus on the Jason Goes to Hell disc, and I absolutely love this guy. What a delightful person. His enthusiasm for the movie he made is pretty contagious. It really makes me wish I liked the movie more!

russweiss and hots4 like this.
  14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as Mick Garris-syndrome.

15. Zombie Dude

So just me then?

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I watched JGTH a few weeks back and didn't notice. That doesn't mean the distortion isn't there but it wasn't glaring enough to catch my attention or I was too engrossed in the film to see it.

17. Zombie Dude

Do you have a big screen? Mine is 70" so I wonder if that's why it stood out to me. I was rather engrossed in the film myself and not just looking for issues. It just looked off or wrong in those scenes. I might need to pop it back in a re-check.

18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have a 65" 4K TV. As I said it is certainly possible the distortion is there and I simply missed/overlooked it. Hopefully someone else will watch the blu and let us know if they had any issues. I'm kind of surprised at this point that more people haven't watched their Shout Factory box set as I'm sure many from this site have purchased it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

I've not had much time to go through a lot of it yet. So far I've seen Part 1&2, JGTH and JASON X plus a lot of Bonus disc 2. The transfers on 1&2 look great. The original film I thought looked the best so far out of those new 4k transfers. Part 2 looks great too and better than the previous one but overall less consistent of a transfer than Part 1.

I've not seen JGTH on blu before this set so I'm not sure how big the difference is aside from scenes that had a strong blue hue before seem much much lighter now. I thought despite that and whatever issue I was seeing as mentioned above, the film looked great.
    And Jason X looked really good to me too. Far better than I was expecting and from what I've seen, much better than the last set.

russweiss likes this.
  20. ImmortalSlasher

I always thought Jason X was a pretty good looking movie. More polished because of the future setting. Whether or not you like that depends on what you look for in Friday the 13th movies. It does have that funny virtual reality / holodeck camp at the lake scene. But I remember that as being pretty polished too. I need to check. It might be cool if they had the cinematography as more retro in that scene.

Zombie Dude likes this.