30 Days of Night

Discussion in 'General' started by bigdaddyhorse, Oct 21, 2007.

1. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

i saw it the other night and enjoyed it. I agree about the passage of time. when the number of days first popped up on screen (i think it said day7) I thought wtf? i thought it had only been 1 day.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Some day, Josh Hartnett will emote like a real boy. He was pretty good when he was acting all quiet and squinty-eyed, but when it came time to be sad or mad or sad-mad, his robot parts started to show.

This was one good-looking film, especially that aerial shot of the well-choreographed chaos. While the film didn't do a very good job with the time elapsing, it did a fine job containing the crazy: all the tight spots, dark spaces under houses, collapsing SUVs, etc. The vamps were creepy but pretty stupid. They mastered the art of sailing undetected and only in the dark, apparently, yet didn't quite understand the whole ration-the-food thing. Except when it came time to let loose a few kids as bait, or however those little girls ended up scrambling around (one in the grocery store, one near the end; or was the grocery store kid always a vamp? "Did anyone recognize her?"). Hrm. Maybe a few wires criss-crossed, but it was still fun until that ending, which gives Near Dark a run for its money in terms of how to spoil a fun vampire splatterfest with blood transfusions and romantic sentiments.

And sure, Hartnett was an admirable sheriff, but...really, Josh. The blinking light was that attractive an alternative to waiting another 3 days? That blinking light way up in that house vs. 3 days, and you go with the light? That's robot-logic right there.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. drown021

drown021 Guest

I really liked this one.I thought it was pretty good for a serious horror/vampire flick.I thought the vampires were pretty creepy and I liked the way they looked.I would get creeped out If I had watched this alone at night. The wife liked it also. I would dare even say it's one of the better horror flicks I've seen of late. I kow the ending has been bashed, but I did'nt think that was too bad either. I'd give this movie a 4/5. I was impressed.

4. kimboslice

kimboslice Member

Hey guys,

been on this site for a while and thought id drop my first post.

i just picked up the regiopn 4 2disc limited edition of this, and noticed the screen ratio is 1:178 and nt 2:35 like the region 1. have they cropped the release for oz or is it the correct ratio?

thanks heaps guys

5. kimboslice

kimboslice Member

hey guys

just picked uop this dvd on region 4 and noticed the ratio is 1:178 and bt 2:35 like the region 1 release.

have they cropped it for the oz release or is this its correct ratio. thanks guys

6. The movie i shot in 2.35 : 1

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It looks nice, it had some really great moments, the build up was really well done , but when the vamps actually showed up, I started to not care. There wasn't much flow to the movie, the vamps weren't terribly scary, I never felt a sense of time-passing, and some of the characters did things that were just completely stupid and kept taking me out of the film. There were actually times when I was sitting watching the movie that I would get bored and go over to my computer to check my downloads (I am a computer addict but most times I don't do this during a movie).

I didn't hate the movie. As I said, it looked really good and the build up was great. Maybe a bit more time added to develop the scenes and a clearer sense of time and it could've been a classic rather than a film that I pop in when I don't want to have to pay attention too much.

8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I caught up withe the film last night. If I could go back and watch something else, I would. This film runs runs nearly two hours fore no good reason. The plot is simple enough, and while they fail to establish the passing of time - they don't even use that 1:50+ time frame for anything else of note.

Yes the quick cutting is pathetic, yes the male lead was of soap opera quality, but that wasn't what sunk this film - it was the story itself. I've not read the graphic novel, but some in this thread has stated the film pretty much follows it (especially the crap ending), so as such - clearly the novel isn't too good either.

I was bored, thoroughly bored. I was bored twenty minutes in when they'd used up all the plot they had, and now had to repeat the same thing over and over and over. The vampires were not scary - and the language suggested they'd beamed down from the enterprise. :D

I didn't think of The Thing during the film - but then every time I see a town covered in ice and snow doesn't bring it to mind, kind of like seeing New York doesn't remind me King Kong all the time. Still, what's undeniable is that you'd be better off watching The Thing than viewing this lame-assed film.

If I struggled a bit I could come up with some good parts, I suppose. But I'm not going to bother, as I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone to be honest. Really disliked this, and can't be bothered to stretch the imagination in an attempt to heap any praise on this missed opportunity.