20 Scariest Movies of All Time

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

No Alien = no list

Not to mention the original Nosferatu

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Buzzz! Wrong. I can see it now...."Great list, except for Blair Witch, which isn't even a movie. Doesn't belong on any list, except maybe WORST movies ever made"

Hey, I love the movie. Always have, always will. But I've long since accepted the idea that you either love it or hate it. No amount of arguing will convince me that I didn't really like it, nor will I ever be able to convince those who hate it that they're missing something.

I don't mind spirited discussions and arguments, but this one is a lot like the Tic-Tac-Toe segment in War Games. The idea is to learn that it will always be a draw, and thus it is not worth playing.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

But But, Alllright (kicks the dirt)

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Exorcist is the only movie that ever really scared the shit out of me. Parents let me watch a TV cut of it when I was a kid and there was no sleep that night.

My 5-year old will have a similar story to tell. We were watching a "kid safe" horror movie (Land Before Time or something to that extent) on Monsters HD and I fell asleep. (Side note: It's safe for me to fall asleep as my 11-year old is a babysitter in training) Next movie up: Halloween. Scared the piss out of him. He had nightmare about it for a week and my ex was pissed at me. The movie is on Monsters HD all the time, so I'll always jump over to it and ask him if he wants to watch it. He calls it the "White Mask Movie" and says "No, Daddy! Change it!" He has a good tolerance to horror as I let him watch stuff like Monster Squad and AWIL.

I try to work them both into horror. I'm getting to a point where I'm close to letting my 11-year old watch whatever he wants. That's about the age where I really started watching whatever (without parents blessing).

5. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

I definitely agree w/ you on Session 9. Its on all my scariest movies list

6. geeare

geeare Guest

Maniac, not on the list, was the movie that had the greatest effect on my childhood. I remember I couldn't get to sleep for months, making my parents stay up until I was asleep. If I saw the lights go off in the hall I would yell and scream until they came back on.

7. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Henry and Se7en scary?! Not in this life, maybe the next. :p

8. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I went through the same thing last week after my five-year-old daughter watched the Thriller video. She didn't do much about it until right at bedtime (which was actually kinda late for her and she gets really dramatic when she's at all tired) when she started crying about it. Then we just hung out while I explained zombie makeup and how the dark stuff coming out of the zombies' mouths was just grape jelly. Now she makes jokey references to grape jelly, so it worked out okay.

She also watched (and loved) The Gate and Invaders From Mars, so she's alright. Oh, and the first half of Conan the Barbarian, which she still mentions as liking. All this is weird because she's not even that into movies (probably because her mother and I are huge about them and she probably felt pressured by us trying to get her into watching), but she apparently likes the scary stuff.

9. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

are movies scary after you are 10 years old?

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ringu kinda creeped me out in that good old fashion way, obviously well after I was 10 years old. Nothing that kept me up at night though.

Evil Dead scared the hell outta me as a kid. I saw it one Halloween, I had never seen a movie like it. To a certain extent I still haven't seen anything quite like it. I was glad to see that make the list, as it often gets associated with the slap stick nature Army of Darkness. It's too bad that Bruce Campbell's well deserved notoriety as a goofball spoils an otherwise excellent movie. Kinda like how people think that because Leslie Nielsen's in Forbidden Planet that it's just a tongue-in-cheek b-movie when instead it's one of the best Sci-Fi films from not just the 50's but any decade.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've definitely had feelings of fear and dread watching some movies. I was 15 when I saw Poltergeist, and that definitely creeped me out. As an adult, the movies that worked on me were The Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and (yes) The Blair Witch Project.

You have to be able to wrap yourself into the movie for it to happen though. If you "fight" it, you'll always know it's just a movie.

12. You have to know your audience and all that. I'm sure most of my friends think Dario Argento was the main character in that cartoon on MTV.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Maybe your not letting yourself get entrenched in the film. It's rare but you can get the odd goose bump.

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

You know, there's a couple instances I've personally identified which affect this. Firstly, if I watch two (or even three) movies a night for a few days, the whole experience gets less and less. That is, I can watch a film, follow the plot etc. But the immersion gets less and less.

Same thing when you watch the same types of films in a row. For instance, so called "shock" films. Watch the Guinea Pigs films one after the other, and they quickly lose their punch. Watch Mondo's back to back, and they do too. But watch them interspersed with other films, and they work.

Blair Witch (sorry to mention it) scared the living hell out of me. Watching the original The Haunting gets me every time.

15. geeare

geeare Guest

haven't you seen Gigli