Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-31-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
Gnaghi

carrie remake

so whats up with this thing... a tv movie remake of something that didn't need to be remade... and shot on digital video. blah. why not adapt another king novel instead. i swear hollywood needs to go back to film school or something.

ok so it makes sense now

NBC has announced a remake of "Carrie" that will also serve as a backdoor pilot for potential new weekly series or franchises. While NBC has so far ordered only scripts on the Carrie project, both projects are likely to end up on the air. Scribe Bryan Fuller is attached to write the new "Carrie," which will follow closely the plot of the original 1976 feature about a teenage girl with special powers. The new picture, supervised by MGM TV topper Hank Cohen, will be set in the present and feature greatly enhanced special effects(so enhance the effects and degrade the quality). The story will also be tweaked to allow for either a weekly series or movie franchise.

they want to make a carrie series or a franchise.. hmm guess carrie and carrie 2 didn't really mean anything.

maybe they can turn it into something like you cant do that on television with blood instead of slime. that i would watch.

Last edited by Gnaghi; 10-31-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

I dont see why they cant just make a good flick like Carrie and be satisifed with maiing just that...... a great film. Why does Hollywood insist on beating a dead horse?
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
Cydeous
Axxon N

I have an idea for Hollywood: a remake of <B>Ocean's Eleven</B>. The last one came out two years ago so it's overdue to be remade. Who knows, maybe they can even make it worse than the last one... now that would be challenging!
Cydeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:25 PM   #4
rhett

First CARRIE the broadway musical, and now this? CARRIE certainly has lived an interesting life (especially for
Spoiler:
dying in the original
).
Old 10-31-2002, 06:50 PM   #5
Paff

Haha....yeah, I thought about the musical too when I heard about this.

To me, this is as dumb as remaking The Shawshank Redemption. DePalma's Carrie kept all the feel of the book, and even improved upon some parts (King freely admits this too).

I know some people will go on an on about "well, in the book Carrie does a lot more damage to the whole town", but I NEVER liked that in the book. The movie just focuses on Carrie and her mom, and that's Carrie's REAL issue. I said it in my review, I think she could put up with her classmates' abuse, it was the fact that her mom was her worst abuser that f'd her up so much. The book obscures this point, the (DePalma) movie centralizes it.

Geez...what's next? Remakes of Dawn of the Dead or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre??

uh oh.....

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:17 AM   #6
Gnaghi

anybody watching it... i can't bare to watch it... everytime i turn it on it makes me sick.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:25 AM   #7
betterdan

Not even gonna try to look at it. I've had enough of all the fuckin remakes. Movies, music etc.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:58 AM   #8
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

I watched it. There were some surprises. I didn't know about the "series" concept. Ridiculous, but makes sense now. You don't even want to know...
indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:32 AM   #9
joltaddict
HackMaster

A series>

So like Buffy where she goes back to high school after blowing the first one up and killing a bunch of people?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:52 AM   #10
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

I just finished watching it, and had mixed feelings throughout. Halfway through I was thinking I liked it better than the original, it was more true to the story, scenes were handled more effectively, and Carries rampage was much more intense and carried out trhough the city like in the book, even the final scene between Carrie and her mother was closer to the book than the original movie.

But like Indie mentioned, the ending/cliffhanger leading into a series is just totally rediculous and laughable. It pretty much ruined the entire thing. If the movie just ended with
Spoiler:
Carrie dead in the tub after stopping her mothers heart
it would have been much better and pretty enjoyable, but the ending is just a joke.
Spoiler:
Carrie as a runaway fugitive, puh-lease.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:00 AM   #11
Gnaghi

one question.. why was she upset when they put all those tampons in her locker if she didnt even know what a period was.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:22 AM   #12
Paff

You know what sucks? Now, when people ask my what my favorite horror movie of all time is, I have to say "Carrie, the original, not the stupid remake"

OK, I did not watch this all the way through, but what I saw was not good. Super-cheezy CGI of the destruction of the town?? And can anyone say that Carrie stopping her mom's heart is anywhere near as good as the movie version? You know, the book is not always better than the movie.

Brian DePalma filmed the definitive version of Kiog's story, it never needed this...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:57 PM   #13
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

I might have to watch it by myself to judge. However, De Palma's Carrie was just fine as it is.
They should stop fucking with the classics.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:31 PM   #14
cjg
Maniac

I didnt think the girl who played Carrie was to bad and some of her female schoolmates werent to bad either but whats with those high school guys most of them looked like they were in their late 20s or early 30s
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:26 AM   #15
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

I wasn't totally disappointed with it, until that ending...
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote