Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #16
rijir
Stalker

The last time I was at IKEA they had some CD/DVD storage units that I had not seen before. Rather than tall they were wide and had adjustable shelves. The ones they had out were black. One unit had 2 doors on the bottom. I just checked the website and I couldn't find them (of course). You may just want to go there and really take a good look around. I wish I could remember the name.

Earlier this year I just made myself a storage shelf out of pine and stained it black to match the IKEA stuff I already have. Spent around $250 and it holds nearly 550 DVDs. It is 7 feet tall by 3 feet wide.
rijir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 AM   #17
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

You can definitely make some cool storage combinations. I think what I did was put a Billy in the middle and the sides I wanna say were called Bankos or something?

Old 08-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #18
Novosibirsk
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
You can definitely make some cool storage combinations. I think what I did was put a Billy in the middle and the sides I wanna say were called Bankos or something?

Damn I like that a lot! Looks great.
Novosibirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:29 AM   #19
Novosibirsk
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I've tried my best not to double dip on DVDs or Blu-rays. So far I haven't that much. Maybe only a few multiples. I keep them because they have something I like. Even if it's a simple cover or extra feature. I've heard of trading for other titles at retailers but it's usually at certain times of the year. Not all the time. Cash back value is usually a joke so I wouldn't even consider that.
Yeah it can be disheartening bringing in a stack of once-loved DVDs you paid $20 (sometimes more or less) for back in the day to maybe get $1-2 bucks if you're lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijir View Post
The last time I was at IKEA they had some CD/DVD storage units that I had not seen before. Rather than tall they were wide and had adjustable shelves. The ones they had out were black. One unit had 2 doors on the bottom. I just checked the website and I couldn't find them (of course). You may just want to go there and really take a good look around. I wish I could remember the name.

Earlier this year I just made myself a storage shelf out of pine and stained it black to match the IKEA stuff I already have. Spent around $250 and it holds nearly 550 DVDs. It is 7 feet tall by 3 feet wide.
That Ikea shelf sounds ideal! I will keep an eye out when I go to my local Ikea in a couple months time. Also it's cool that people are thinking outside the box and making stuff themselves, I unfortunately have zero to no skill in that department.

Oh man, I am dreading going to Ikea though...that place drives me crazy, the sensory overload of it all. And people walking slow as fuck, when all I want to do is grab my item and get out. Lol.
Novosibirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #20
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novosibirsk View Post

Oh man, I am dreading going to Ikea though...that place drives me crazy, the sensory overload of it all. And people walking slow as fuck, when all I want to do is grab my item and get out. Lol.
Go early and get the cheap breakfast. Then you'll be ready to hit the floor as soon as it opens
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
MP, nice. What else?

I assume you are not buying media specific storage? (I'm hoping not.) As a media hoarder for the ages that is the only suggestion I would make. A CD/DVD holder can only ever be a CD/DVD holder, but a bookcase or cupboard will always be practical and useful for any number of things. Let's just say I've got more than my fair share of CD racks of varying sizes. Yes, most of them are used, but they take up a lot of room and when all is said a done, a decent bookcase fits the same for the same amount of space multiples of those use up.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #22
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
MP, nice. What else?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #23
spawningblue
Deadite

Unfortunately the media shelves I was buying from Ikea are no longer around. I haven't had any luck finding them anywhere here in Canada. Ikea only sells book shelves now, which IMO are a waste of space, unless you are going to stack discs in front of each other, which I'm not a fan of at all. If anyone knows where you can still buy black media shelves anywhere in Canada, let me know!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #24
Workshed
October!

I say lose the double-dips. Once you begin the purge, you will not think about them again. Special features are nice, and being a completist is cool, but realistically, who is impressed by these things once you enter your mid-thirties and beyond? Unless, of course, you have a vast amount of space that needs to be filled and/or plenty of time for re-watching slightly different editions of various films. I went through a purge close to 6 years ago, and I don't even remember what I sold anymore.

Initially, it's sad to say goodbye to things you loved (or thought you'd love), but once you start the benefits begin to outweigh those emotions. This is my own personal preference, of course. And I'm staring at a trunk full of CDs as I type this, ha ha.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote