Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Novosibirsk
Stalker

Ikea DVD Shelving + Moving Tips

Whelp! This is my first move in eight years, and the vast majority of my DVDs and Blu's are from the last eight years...so this will be interesting.

I'm throwing out my old shitty shelf that held a TON of DVDs but is slowly disintegrating. Can anyone suggest a shelving unit that works for them from IKEA? I've perused the site but haven't really found a match.

The final question I have for you all is the dreaded double dips. The sheer magnitude of this move is finally dawning on me and I'm going through a purge. Do you folks keep the duplicates of DVDs and Blu Rays that you have doubles of?

For instance, I have a double disc collector's DVD of the Fly which has featurettes that the Blu doesn't have. Realistically I will NEVER watch them again, but the collector in me wants 'em...which is stupid. Any thoughts from my fine HD.com compatriots? I know I will be buying more DVDs etc in the future and would like to slim down the old collection, if only to make more room for new titles, but it is so bloody hard.
Novosibirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
Marshall Crist
Stalker

Does Ikea still make "Billys?" I've got a shitload of those. Buy extra shelves and you are set.
Marshall Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
rijir
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novosibirsk View Post
Whelp! This is my first move in eight years, and the vast majority of my DVDs and Blu's are from the last eight years...so this will be interesting.

I'm throwing out my old shitty shelf that held a TON of DVDs but is slowly disintegrating. Can anyone suggest a shelving unit that works for them from IKEA? I've perused the site but haven't really found a match.

The final question I have for you all is the dreaded double dips. The sheer magnitude of this move is finally dawning on me and I'm going through a purge. Do you folks keep the duplicates of DVDs and Blu Rays that you have doubles of?

For instance, I have a double disc collector's DVD of the Fly which has featurettes that the Blu doesn't have. Realistically I will NEVER watch them again, but the collector in me wants 'em...which is stupid. Any thoughts from my fine HD.com compatriots? I know I will be buying more DVDs etc in the future and would like to slim down the old collection, if only to make more room for new titles, but it is so bloody hard.
Don't trust the IKEA website. I was looking for some CD/DVD shelves and every single one said "not sold in stores" or "Not sold at your location". But when I got there they had tons of them in stock. Even the staff told me not to trust the site.
rijir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
Novosibirsk
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijir View Post
Don't trust the IKEA website. I was looking for some CD/DVD shelves and every single one said "not sold in stores" or "Not sold at your location". But when I got there they had tons of them in stock. Even the staff told me not to trust the site.
Haha, fair enough. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Marshall for the Billy idea. They look like they might work, although there are literally a 12 different variants.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
Does Ikea still make "Billys?" I've got a shitload of those. Buy extra shelves and you are set.
I believe that these are the wooden units I bought and have moved them at least eight times. The downside is trying to box-and-unload them in proper order.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
Novosibirsk
Stalker

What do people do about the double dips though?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
msw7
Morso a morte

Billy bookcases do hold a ton of DVDs, particularly if you put one row behind another (can't see 'em, but they fit nicely).

I'm just in the process of weeding out a ton of unwanted DVDs, and the bottom line is don't expect to get much for them. I think I've gotten rid of about 500 or so, and have averaged about $2-3 per disk. Common titles I traded in at Amazon (now they offer maybe 5 cents each), or sold locally to used stores for a dollar or two each. Less common disks and non-region 1 disks I've sold on ebay, and done pretty well, but the fees are high. I've done the best with low starting bids ($1) and letting the market decide. Sometimes I make more than I expected to and sometimes I make space on my shelf for $1.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #8
Marshall Crist
Stalker

Quote:
Case by case basis, my man. If you think you might regret selling it later, you probably will.
Marshall Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
chancetx
Stalker

Quote:
It's a tough call. Marshall Crist says it best - go on a case by case basis. Also consider how hard it would be to replace something if you do get rid of it but decide you want it again later. Most DVDs aren't worth much but some of those "rare" editions still fetch decent prices.

I'm struggling to thin out my collection as well. Amazing how quickly a one-bedroom apartment can fill up. It is frustrating that not all new editions of a given title allow you to get rid of the old version. And the anal-obsessive in me also finds it annoying to have a mix of blu ray and DVD on one shelf so I often hold on to the DVD just to have the shelf look neater. (The "Halloween" movies, for example. The new bluray box set will solve that but there are other instances.)
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

I've bought a few amaray blu-ray double cases at a local store. Something like this

If I own a DVD with super-special extras/versions the blu-ray doesn't have I just include it to the new case.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
Drinkinstein
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
I've bought a few amaray blu-ray double cases at a local store. Something like this

If I own a DVD with super-special extras/versions the blu-ray doesn't have I just include it to the new case.
I've been making my own combo packs like that for a few years now. Word of advice: store the unused DVD cases rather than throw them out so you can un-combo pack them for selling in the future. I always ended up regretting throwing the cases and artwork away eventually...
Drinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post

This was a lot easier to do when Best Buy did Upgrade and Save. I kept disc 2 of From Hell, Species and a few other dvds I upped to blu, and then got $5 for the first disc and cover at BB.

Now that's over, I would suggest just dubbing the features disc and then selling the full dvd set. I do this for everything except when a commentary is missing, the packaging is too cool, or the sell offer is too low. In those cases I just keep the dvd.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Paul_s
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
Billy bookcases do hold a ton of DVDs, particularly if you put one row behind another (can't see 'em, but they fit nicely).

I'm just in the process of weeding out a ton of unwanted DVDs, and the bottom line is don't expect to get much for them. I think I've gotten rid of about 500 or so, and have averaged about $2-3 per disk. Common titles I traded in at Amazon (now they offer maybe 5 cents each), or sold locally to used stores for a dollar or two each. Less common disks and non-region 1 disks I've sold on ebay, and done pretty well, but the fees are high. I've done the best with low starting bids ($1) and letting the market decide. Sometimes I make more than I expected to and sometimes I make space on my shelf for $1.
same here... I was storing my DVDs in one of the plastic folder/wallets you can buy (stupidly threw out the original DVD cases (kept all the inlays etc)... so recently when I decided to have a purge had to re-buy DVD cases... made a profit so things worked out well

Managed (for the first time) to fit all Blu/DVDs in my cupboard now (all in cases)... Now to start on my music collection... that's an even bigger mountain of around 600 discs.
Paul_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

What I'm doing with some of the movies, is that I purchased CD slim line cases, over 600 of them, and I'm going to put some movies in them, and I can get 2 slime line cases into what is equilvant to one CD. I don't sell much of my movies and I own over 600, and a few complete series that I don't like how they have the series organized, and I have purchased CD organizers cheap.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #15
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:

I've tried my best not to double dip on DVDs or Blu-rays. So far I haven't that much. Maybe only a few multiples. I keep them because they have something I like. Even if it's a simple cover or extra feature. I've heard of trading for other titles at retailers but it's usually at certain times of the year. Not all the time. Cash back value is usually a joke so I wouldn't even consider that.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote