Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #31
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,587
The Last House on the Left (original) and I Spit on Your Grave.

Rape-revenge films are not what I want to watch. No interest.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #32
Paff
Moderator
 
Paff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
You scared me there for a second. When I read the first sentence of this paragraph, I thought you were talking about the original and the remake.
I'm at the point where a lot of remakes just don't exist to me. I got tired of having to qualify "...the original" when referring to a lot of my favorite horror movies like Carrie, Dawn of the Dead, The Wicker Man, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. So to me, those movies have no remakes, along with Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Black Christmas, I Spit on Your Grave, Assault on Precinct 13, and I'm sure there's others but I blot those out of my consciousness. And nor do I allow for the distinction of a "reboot", as if that forgives people from making a crappy movie with the same name as a good movie that had nothing wrong with it to begin with.
__________________
CINEMA PAFF - Your BB-Movie Showcase *

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #33
Rft183
Screamy Bopper
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I'm at the point where a lot of remakes just don't exist to me. I got tired of having to qualify "...the original" when referring to a lot of my favorite horror movies like Carrie, Dawn of the Dead, The Wicker Man, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. So to me, those movies have no remakes, along with Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Black Christmas, I Spit on Your Grave, Assault on Precinct 13, and I'm sure there's others but I blot those out of my consciousness. And nor do I allow for the distinction of a "reboot", as if that forgives people from making a crappy movie with the same name as a good movie that had nothing wrong with it to begin with.
I have to agree. If we need to qualify anything, it should be the so-called remakes!
Rft183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #34
buck135
The Duke of New York
 
buck135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Bruges
Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
...and I'm sure there's others but I blot those out of my consciousness.
Like...The Fog!!!
__________________
"Do you read Sutter Cane?"
buck135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #35
X-human
I ate my keys
 
X-human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
You got some watching to do. In some ways I'm envious I can't see some of those for the first time again, but more I look at your list and feel you've just missed some great shit.
I was going to spin it that way, yes. I'm just not a big Slasher fan, so there are probably dozens more "famous" ones I hadn't seen yet. I actually read all the Eric Morse Friday the 13th books in grade school! When I was old enough I just didn't prioritize them, Jason was sorta "been there done that" for me. 2013 was going to be THEE catch up year for Jason, "CAUSE IT'S 2013! GET IT?!?!?" but that didn't happen either.

Back when I joined this place was more about the Dead trilogy and Giallo and John Carpenter. It seems to have drifted heavily towards 80's Slashers since...

On the other hand I've seen all but a few of the Universal Horrors. (Mostly the one off's; I have seen all the core franchises and their sequels.)

I've also seen the vast majority of the Hammer Horrors.
__________________
The combined weight of the horrors I have authored wrought would crush your carbon hearts into perfect diamonds of terror!

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #36
Christ75
Stalker
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 151
Troll 1 & 2
House IV
Leprechaun 2-6
Wicker Man 2
11/11/11
Mirrors 2
Carrie (remake)
Blacula
Three Extremes 2

Last edited by Christ75; 01-07-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Christ75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #37
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
 
wago70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
Posts: 3,294
The Innocents; Freaks; Eyes Without a Face; The Wicker Man (original); Possession; Salem's Lot
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #38
j tea
Stalker
 
j tea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: lawrence, ks
Posts: 357
Ive never seen Jaws, but I have actually seen 2, 3, and even 4.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #39
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.
 
vampyr789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,847
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
The Tenant
Inside
Freaks
Evil Dead Trap
Lifeforce
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
The Innocents
Eyes Without a Face
Troll 1 & 2
Cannibal Ferox
A Serbian Film (though I have no desire to see it)

I've seen none of the Hellraiser, Howling, Prom Night, or Candyman sequels

I've barely seen any Hammer or Universal horror films, i've only seen The Curse of Frankenstein, The Horror of Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man
__________________
"A lot of movies are about life, mine are like a slice of cake." ~ Alfred Hitchcock

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition

Last edited by vampyr789; 01-07-2014 at 09:14 AM.
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #40
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 12,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post


Nope, the only one of that bunch that I do feel I "need" to see is New Nightmare. In fact, I wish I hadn't seen several of the ones that I have, as many sequels subvert the originals (example, Michael Myers being Laurie's brother) to the point where the original is queered. Don't give me any of that "Oh, you can watch xxxxx without thinking of the sequels", because you simply can't UN-watch something you've seen. For example, can you watch Star Wars (A New Hope) without the knowledge that Darth Vader is Luke's father, and Leia is his sister? Of course you can't.
You can un-watch somethings, but you need help.
For instance, I have unwatched both The Fog remake and The Item. Completely erased from memory (except that I know I did one time waste time on each of them). Just hate it enough, add a little weed, let sit 6-12 months and they are fucking gone!
Plus I never let bad sequels or remakes change my feelings on the originals I love. I treat them as separate entities and ignore the dumb shit (like druid Michael, space Jason even though I love Jason X, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by j tea View Post
Ive never seen Jaws, but I have actually seen 2, 3, and even 4.
The fuck? How could this even happen? You missed the one good one, get on it ASAP! Unless you are trying to be "reverse-Paff" and only watch sequels while ignoring the originals. I'd salute your balls if you try to do that, but would question your brain at the same time.
__________________
"!"

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #41
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ75 View Post
Troll 1 & 2
House IV
Leprechaun 2-6
Wicker Man 2
11/11/11
Mirrors 2
Carrie (remake)
Blacula
Three Extremes 2
I would have a tough time calling any of these "famous," outside of perhaps Troll 2.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #42
Paff
Moderator
 
Paff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
You can un-watch somethings, but you need help.
For instance, I have unwatched both The Fog remake and The Item. Completely erased from memory (except that I know I did one time waste time on each of them). Just hate it enough, add a little weed, let sit 6-12 months and they are fucking gone!
Plus I never let bad sequels or remakes change my feelings on the originals I love. I treat them as separate entities and ignore the dumb shit (like druid Michael, space Jason even though I love Jason X, etc.).
But why bother in the first place? That's my mindset. If you already know something isn't going to be that good, why waste your time on it? Oh sure, there's the occasional decent sequel, but that rarely happens more than 2-3 films deep into a series. At that point it's pretty much a money grab, cashing in on the name only. The talent behind and often in front of the camera has long moved on to better things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
I would have a tough time calling any of these "famous," outside of perhaps Troll 2.
And also Blacula. Along with Blackenstein, and the Blunchblack of Blotre Blame. Funky.
__________________
CINEMA PAFF - Your BB-Movie Showcase *

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #43
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
But why bother in the first place? That's my mindset. If you already know something isn't going to be that good, why waste your time on it? Oh sure, there's the occasional decent sequel, but that rarely happens more than 2-3 films deep into a series. At that point it's pretty much a money grab, cashing in on the name only. The talent behind and often in front of the camera has long moved on to better things.



And also Blacula. Along with Blackenstein, and the Blunchblack of Blotre Blame. Funky.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #44
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
But why bother in the first place? That's my mindset. If you already know something isn't going to be that good, why waste your time on it?
And this is why I've never watched an Uwe Boll film.

Or even been curious to see one.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #45
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 12,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
But why bother in the first place? That's my mindset. If you already know something isn't going to be that good, why waste your time on it? Oh sure, there's the occasional decent sequel, but that rarely happens more than 2-3 films deep into a series. At that point it's pretty much a money grab, cashing in on the name only. The talent behind and often in front of the camera has long moved on to better things.


Cuz despite often being let down, I'm a "glass is gonna be half full and there will be something worthwhile to this probably shitty sequel" kind of guy. Hard to defend it is, although I sometimes just look at it as learning. I read plenty about The Fog remake before hand and was hoping for a disasterpeice* like House of the Dead. Unfortunately it didn't even have any of that going for it, so I threw the dvdr in the trash and started the cleansing process. But I often do find something to like from plenty of bad sequels, be it a gore gag (like in Jason to Hell unrated), or nudity or just a cool scene here and there. Then I also get to have an opinion on them. People who haven't seen a film but act like they have from reading about it don't deserve any say in if it's bad or good, or even why IMO.







* so bad it's fucking awesome!
__________________
"!"

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com