Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
rift
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Rosemary's Baby off the top of my head, but I got the Blu so it's on the agenda.
This was the first one that popped into my head as well. For some reason I have no desire to watch it.
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Friday the 13th (I've only seen some of Pt.4)
Hellraiser
The Howling
The Burning
Silent Night, Deadly Night (seen 4 and 5)
Saw
Paranormal Activity
28 Days Later
Wow.

Quote:
Maybe this should go under unpopular opinion but I found Repulsion to be truly terrible. Like, "why isn't this on MST3K?" terrible. I dig B&W 60's thrillers and all, but that was terrible.

Repulsion is probably in my top 50 horrors (though it's more thriller).
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #18
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
For me it's sequels. Never seen

Nightmare on Elm Street > 3
Halloween > 3
Friday the 13th > 6
Hellraiser > 3
Any Howling, Candyman, or Children of the Corn sequel
Yeah, I haven't seen a lot of sequels either like SNDN > 3, Children of the Corn > 2, Candyman > 2, Howling > 3, Phantasm > 2. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've sat through the first Phantasm from beginning to end.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
Eddyw78
Stalker

There are lots of modern horrors I havent bothered to watch mostly the PG13 scarey kids sort of movies. Also sequels to big popular movies meaning I have only seen the first few Saw movies, maybe two Final Destinations and only the first Paranormal Activity.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
MorallySound
There is no magic.

There's a lot of classic/popular/well-known horror films I've yet to see. Here's only a handful I can think of off the top of my head and with the help of some popular horror lists:

Don't Look Know
The Haunting
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Freaks
The Fly (original)
Return of the Fly
Carnival of Souls
Eyes Without a Face
Peeping Tom
I Walked With a Zombie
Possession
Stephen King's IT
Cat People (original)
Ringu
Ju-on
The Innocents
The Masque of Red Death
Village of the Damned (original)
And plenty of Hammer films.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #21
dave13
HackMaster

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Christmas Evil
Lizard in a Woman's Skin
The Innocents
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #22
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
There's a lot of classic/popular/well-known horror films I've yet to see. Here's only a handful I can think of off the top of my head and with the help of some popular horror lists:

Don't Look Know
The Haunting
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Freaks
The Fly (original)
Return of the Fly
Carnival of Souls
Eyes Without a Face
Peeping Tom
I Walked With a Zombie
Possession
Stephen King's IT
Cat People (original)
Ringu
Ju-on
The Innocents
The Masque of Red Death
Village of the Damned (original)
And plenty of Hammer films.
Double Wow.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #23
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

"Famous" falls by the wayside in our circles. But, here's my list:

The Wicker Man (Original, of course- I could have watched it on YouTube but the quality sucked. Also, I have a problem with not knowing what version to watch. Nobody ever talks about the huge difference in the 80 and 100 minute versions. I would think there's a huge difference.)

Possession (1981)
Lair of the White Worm
Ravenous
Lifeforce
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
Lemora: A Child’s Tale of the Supernatural
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
(1978) (or Abel Ferrara's remake)
Phantasm III
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Return to Salem's Lot
Curse of Chucky
The Last Winter
The Devil's Advocate
The Devil's Backbone
Cronos
(1993)
Baby Blood (1990)
Species
Nightbreed
Two Evil Eyes
Stagefright / Aquarius
Pieces
Mother's Day
Evil Dead Trap
Junk
Three... Extremes
(though I've seen the feature-length version of Dumplings)
either of the Sorority Row's
Inside (again, I have not seen one French horror film worth a shit- I do not think I would handle it well if this sucked as hard as the others)
Let the Right One In
Let Me In
Jennifer's Body
Ed and His Dead Mother
Remote Control
Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat
The Boogens
The Willies
Spookies
Strange Behavior
Slime City
Body Melt
Honeymoon Horror
Nightmare Weekend
Nightmare Sisters
Zombie Island Massacre

any of the Puppet Master films, not after I was a kid- and then I only saw pieces of them as I flipped the channels

Terror Train, The American Scream, American Gothic, Fear No Evil, Evilspeak, Fanatic / The Last Horror Film, The Night Brings Charlie, Fright Night Part 2, Halloween 8, Critters 3, House 4, Amityville 4, 5, 7, 8, Prom Night 3, 4, Stepfather 2, 3, American Psycho 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, 4, Exorcist III, Howling VI, Silent Night Deadly Night 4, 5, Bride of Re-Animator, Ginger Snaps 2, or any of the Mirror, Mirror franchise though I'm guessing these aren't much of a big deal

And for some inexplicable reason, I really want to see The Forsaken.

This is all post-mid 60's. Previous to that, and I'm lumping in Vincent Price stuff he did after Witchfinder General (which I have seen, unfortunately), I've only seen 2 Hammer films period, maybe 2 Amicus films, I missed a couple Roger Corman's (especially The Terror - I think it's called, the one with Boris Karloff that's public domain right now or used to be - and Little Shop of Horrors), a freaking slew of sci-fi stuff from the 50's, Dr. Phibes and sequel, The Innocents, Freaks, Blood and Roses, Blood and Black Lace, Whip and the Body, Diabolique, Night of the Hunter, Return of the Fly, Village of the Damned and sequel, ... you know what, the list I have seen is shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
I never got round to The Wolf Man or The Mummy
The Mummy is overrated but worth watching to say you've seen it.

I personally find The Wolf Man the best of the Universal lot that I've seen. So, I say: see it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Famous horror films you have not seen
Dead Snow (2009)
Battle Royale (2000)
Quote:
The Burning
Saw
Wish I could say I'd never seen them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Carnival of Souls
This and Corman's The Masque of the Red Death are the 2 horror films you drop everything you're doing right this minute to watch if you've never seen them before.

If you're in any way not 90% satisfied, I'll... I don't have a hat, so I can't eat my hat. And I'm broke, so I can't pay you. Just trust me, they're 2 of the greatest horror films I have ever seen.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #24
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
or any of the Mirror, Mirror franchise though I'm guessing these aren't much of a big deal
The first one is great fun! The rest are tough to sit through.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #25
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
"Famous" falls by the wayside in our circles. But, here's my list:

The Wicker Man (Original, of course- I could have watched it on YouTube but the quality sucked. Also, I have a problem with not knowing what version to watch. Nobody ever talks about the huge difference in the 80 and 100 minute versions. I would think there's a huge difference.)

Possession (1981)
Lair of the White Worm
Ravenous
Lifeforce
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
Lemora: A Child’s Tale of the Supernatural
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
(1978) (or Abel Ferrara's remake)
Phantasm III
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Return to Salem's Lot
Curse of Chucky
The Last Winter
The Devil's Advocate
The Devil's Backbone
Cronos
(1993)
Baby Blood (1990)
Species
Nightbreed
Two Evil Eyes
Stagefright / Aquarius
Pieces
Mother's Day
Evil Dead Trap
Junk
Three... Extremes
(though I've seen the feature-length version of Dumplings)
either of the Sorority Row's
Inside (again, I have not seen one French horror film worth a shit- I do not think I would handle it well if this sucked as hard as the others)
Let the Right One In
Let Me In
Jennifer's Body
Ed and His Dead Mother
Remote Control
Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat
The Boogens
The Willies
Spookies
Strange Behavior
Slime City
Body Melt
Honeymoon Horror
Nightmare Weekend
Nightmare Sisters
Zombie Island Massacre

any of the Puppet Master films, not after I was a kid- and then I only saw pieces of them as I flipped the channels

Terror Train, The American Scream, American Gothic, Fear No Evil, Evilspeak, Fanatic / The Last Horror Film, The Night Brings Charlie, Fright Night Part 2, Halloween 8, Critters 3, House 4, Amityville 4, 5, 7, 8, Prom Night 3, 4, Stepfather 2, 3, American Psycho 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, 4, Exorcist III, Howling VI, Silent Night Deadly Night 4, 5, Bride of Re-Animator, Ginger Snaps 2, or any of the Mirror, Mirror franchise though I'm guessing these aren't much of a big deal

And for some inexplicable reason, I really want to see The Forsaken.

This is all post-mid 60's. Previous to that, and I'm lumping in Vincent Price stuff he did after Witchfinder General (which I have seen, unfortunately), I've only seen 2 Hammer films period, maybe 2 Amicus films, I missed a couple Roger Corman's (especially The Terror - I think it's called, the one with Boris Karloff that's public domain right now or used to be - and Little Shop of Horrors), a freaking slew of sci-fi stuff from the 50's, Dr. Phibes and sequel, The Innocents, Freaks, Blood and Roses, Blood and Black Lace, Whip and the Body, Diabolique, Night of the Hunter, Return of the Fly, Village of the Damned and sequel, ... you know what, the list I have seen is shorter.

The Mummy is overrated but worth watching to say you've seen it.

I personally find The Wolf Man the best of the Universal lot that I've seen. So, I say: see it right now.

Wish I could say I'd never seen them.

This and Corman's The Masque of the Red Death are the 2 horror films you drop everything you're doing right this minute to watch if you've never seen them before.

So basically you have only seen stuff from the 90's and you loved them so much you stopped there. Actually a lot of the films you mentioned aren't really that "famous".

Last edited by Ash28M; 01-06-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #26
maybrick
HackMaster

I still haven't seen The Bodyguard. Or Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Those were two of the most popular movies my senior year of high school and to this day I'm still afraid to see them.

But on a serious note, I've been dying to see The Innocents for ages.

Last edited by maybrick; 01-06-2014 at 01:36 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #27
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Friday the 13th (I've only seen some of Pt.4)
Hellraiser
The Howling
House
Children of the Corn
The Burning
Silent Night, Deadly Night (seen 4 and 5)
Saw
Paranormal Activity
28 Days Later
[REC]
World War Z
Pontypool
Walking Dead

Since you mentioned it:
Severance (2006)
A Serbian Film (2010) I want to see it uncut, there's no good HD way to do that.

Maybe this should go under unpopular opinion but I found Repulsion to be truly terrible. Like, "why isn't this on MST3K?" terrible. I dig B&W 60's thrillers and all, but that was terrible.
You got some watching to do. In some ways I'm envious I can't see some of those for the first time again, but more I look at your list and feel you've just missed some great shit.

Quote:

Halloween > 3
Friday the 13th > 6
Hellraiser > 3
No Friday with (true) zombie or robot Jason? No Halloween with little Danielle Harris, or Busta Ryhmes? No New Nightmare (you're doing yourself a favor missing the rest of those in all likelihood)? None of he cheese of He Who Walks Behind the Rows with young Eva Mendes and that Alexis Arquette freak before becoming a woman? And you're a mod on a horror site! Get to those boxsets and get to work man, you're missing some of the most important films, in both good and very bad ways, in every major horror series!

I'd say I'm speechless, but it sounds wrong after a speech.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #28
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:

Halloween > 3
Friday the 13th > 6
Hellraiser > 3
I think next years Franchise Harvest has your name on it.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #29
Paff

Quote:
But, here's my list: ....
Honestly, even though there's a LOT of good movies on your never-seen list (and a lot of movies I certainly wouldn't call "famous". Hell, I haven't even heard of some of them. What the hell is Body Melt??), there's only two that I think are must-sees for any true horror fan: The Wicker Man and Let The Right One In.

As far as which version of The Wicker Man, I don't think it matters as much as you think. I do prefer the shorter "theatrical version" as I think longer versions give away a little too much of the mystery. Less is more, so to speak. A few gaps in the narrative keep you as in the dark as the protagonist. That all said, there's a supposed "final" version soon to be released on Blu, the one that made the theatrical rounds back in October. If you made that your first viewing, that's an acceptable option.

Let The Right One In shows what the horror genre is truly capable of. Let's face it, oftentimes we have to excuse bad acting, preposterous setups, and questionable actions in our genre of choice. But even though LTROI begins with the already non-existent concept of vampirism, it's also an excellent character study. The acting, the photography, all top-notch. Let The Right One In happens to be a great film, regardless of the genre. The fact that it's horror is merely a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
No Friday with (true) zombie or robot Jason? No Halloween with little Danielle Harris, or Busta Ryhmes? No New Nightmare (you're doing yourself a favor missing the rest of those in all likelihood)? None of he cheese of He Who Walks Behind the Rows with young Eva Mendes and that Alexis Arquette freak before becoming a woman? And you're a mod on a horror site! Get to those boxsets and get to work man, you're missing some of the most important films, in both good and very bad ways, in every major horror series!

I'd say I'm speechless, but it sounds wrong after a speech.
Nope, the only one of that bunch that I do feel I "need" to see is New Nightmare. In fact, I wish I hadn't seen several of the ones that I have, as many sequels subvert the originals (example, Michael Myers being Laurie's brother) to the point where the original is queered. Don't give me any of that "Oh, you can watch xxxxx without thinking of the sequels", because you simply can't UN-watch something you've seen. For example, can you watch Star Wars (A New Hope) without the knowledge that Darth Vader is Luke's father, and Leia is his sister? Of course you can't.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #30
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
As far as which version of The Wicker Man, I don't think it matters as much as you think.
You scared me there for a second. When I read the first sentence of this paragraph, I thought you were talking about the original and the remake.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote