Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
RickMoe
Maniac

Take out the opening skydive, and this looks like it's making all the same mistakes as the '98 version. Bleh.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

This new film is suppose to have two other monsters in it. The director of Hedorah (smog monster) is one of the producers as well. So hopefully it'll be nothing like the 98 film.

Oh yeah, I love Prometheus!
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Looks good. I actually enjoyed the effects in the 98 version I rremember buying the laserdisc. The characters were annoying but Godzilla rocked. I'm sad that it took 15 years to get another one.

P.S. Am I the only one that liked Prometheus?
I liked it, bro.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
myhorror
Victim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ATmBoSjxM

Fool me once...
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorror View Post
its really hard to try to appreciate a trailer on its own merits once you've already seen the film, but its been a long time since I've seen Godzilla '98, and that trailer really doesn't do as much for me as the new one. the new one seems pretty epic....

...but I get what you're saying. I thought the link was going to take me to the dinosaur museum teaser where the foot comes down through the skylight. that one got me pretty excited way back when.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
baggio
HackMaster

Yeah the 1998 trailer looked pretty dam good then & even now. Haven't seen the 98 version since the theaters 15 years ago. The trailer actually makes me want to watch it again now.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Is it just me or does it feel like this new Godzilla film has been in production for more than 5 years? For a film that's taken this long to make, it'll be tragic if it sucks.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #23
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
P.S. Am I the only one that liked Prometheus?
I actually enjoyed it when I saw it at the theater. I bought the blu and have watched it 2 or 3 more times and like it more with each viewing.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #24
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like this new Godzilla film has been in production for more than 5 years? For a film that's taken this long to make, it'll be tragic if it sucks.
If my mind serves me correctly, after "Final Wars" bombed, Toho put the franchise on hold. Yoshimitsu Banno, director of Smog Monster, was trying to get a 3D Godzilla film made. It went to various studios and eventually that turned into WB/Legendary deciding to team with Banno/Toho to just make a new series. So taken that into account, it's almost 10 years in the making! lol
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #25
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yeah, the Godzilla '98 trailer blew me away too...when I was 12. Watching it now there are some rather prominent red flags..."From the Creators of Independence Day" being the one that jumps out the most. The wretched CG foot stomping the taxi is another, and the final 10 seconds being a third.

As for Prometheus, its mediocrity wrapped in pretty packaging...which I guess can be said for most of Ridley Scott's filmography.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
its really hard to try to appreciate a trailer on its own merits once you've already seen the film, but its been a long time since I've seen Godzilla '98, and that trailer really doesn't do as much for me as the new one. the new one seems pretty epic....
That 98 trailer still looks like fun, except I can't help but recall what does happen and how the film doesn't even come close to living up to it. Then I recall the baby Godzillas and go puke. There's nothing that says for sure there are not baby Godzillas in this new one! Wasn't expecting them in 98, wished they never existed and a better movie did ever since.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
maybrick
HackMaster

Considering all the flack the Broderick film took with how Godzilla was too fast and didn't breathe fire, it's hard to believe that they'd make the same mistake twice.

So I'm sure that they'll come up with all new mistakes this go around.

And for what it's worth, I didn't mind the baby Godzillas. They were far more preferable to Minya.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
baggio
HackMaster

The reason the "baby" godzillas were in that 1998 film was because of the popularity of Jurassic Park's velociraptors. And nobody is gonna tell me different.

No raptors in JP = No baby godzilla's in 1998.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #29
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMoe View Post
Take out the opening skydive, and this looks like it's making all the same mistakes as the '98 version. Bleh.
Skydiving is such a current trend in movies and TV commercials. I hate it as much as I hate the three-point-landing that's in everything.
There looks to be a human element that's being argued in favor of on the boards of the IMDB (be a nay-sayer and you will be viciously attacked). However, like the 90's version the human element in American action films are always so cookie-cutter.
Anyway, let's hope this is better than that '98 movie which should have been called Camera Shy Mutation Goes on a Rampage But Not Really Since It's Just Misplaced and /or Misunderstood. Gah!!! To HELL with the monster sympathy - give us a monster that rampages and destructs because it hates humans!
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

There is no denying Godzilla '98 relied heavily on Jurassic Park's success. But it failed on every conceivable level that Jurassic Park exceeded at.

Just take the CGI for example...Jurassic Park was made in '93. Those computer graphics COMBINED with animatronics/practical effects blended seamlessly. The effects to this day are still championed. Now compare the Tyrannosaurus' foot crushing the Ford Explorer to Godzilla 98's "Flying Circus"-esque foot splat on the car, and you can get a clear glimpse of just the type of caliber the rest of the film is going to be.

Baby Godzilla's are not even needed in the trailer to know the film is going to be utter shite.

For some reason I try to watch Godzilla '98 at least once a year out of shear nostalgia, but I usually end up shutting it off 30min in. It's just way to horrendous.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote