Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Once again it's just about time for Halloween and as usual we'll be doing this whole horror movie tracking thingy wherein the people here on Horror Digital watch a crap load of horror-related movies/tv shows and then come to this thread to brag, write a review, post pics, or get ideas for what to watch next. Just do a post for each movie you watch or each day. It really is fun, especially if everyone joins in and gets in the spirit. It lasts all month and hopefully everyone will join in starting October 1st at 12 a.m.

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can get an idea of what's going on. http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...ad.php?t=44139

My first movie, as always, will be Silver Bullet. Right at the stroke of midnight, October 1st. Can't wait!! So many movies piled up right now that I want to watch.

Anyway I hope everyone joins in. Have fun!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Some of the highlights that I am looking forward to watching:

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness- actually never seen it before and now it's on Blu!!
The Haunting - Going to be out on blu half way thru the month. OH BOY!!
In The Mouth of Madness - same as The Haunting.
SAW series - Never seen half of them and I figure I may as well get caught up.
Cannibal movies - Haven't watched any of them in a long time and feel the need to do a massive rewatch.
Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and Psycho - Got the Hitchcock blu box set and been itching to watch these movies. Decided to save em for October.
Friday The 13th - Just got the box set. I've seen these movies too many times to count but am hoping they'll be a little bit fresh on Blu.

plus so many old favourites, a ton of upgrades to blu, and plenty that I've saved for this occasion.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I'm definitely going to hit a bunch of my "To watch" list
The Dorm that Dripped Blood
Girls Nite Out
Night School
Inside
Eyes without a Face
The Tenant
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
From Beyond
to name a few...

and then some regular classics I watch every year. Definitely going to be watching Donnie Darko on the 3rd!

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Manged to watch 64 films last year. Unfortunately the fun ended for me on the 29th because I lost power (Thanks Sandy!). Hopefully I can get through this year without incident and enjoy my Halloween. I have about 45 to 50 potential first time viewings lined up in addition to the usual classic that I make room for as we approach Halloween night.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Workshed
October!

Whoo-hoo! My pal is hosting an Oct. 1 celebratory watch party, featuring The Gate, so that will be my first film this year.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Zillamon51
Maniac

Talking

UPDATE 10/6

First week of October:

Halloween (35th Anniversary Edition): The movie is known to all, so I'll take this opportunity to sound off on the unexpectedly controversial 35th Anniversary Blu-ray. I thought the previous BD looked good (much better than the DVD), but this new one blows it away. I've seen this movie dozens of times over the years, and I noticed details that I never caught before. One example: I just noticed that Tommy's stack of comics includes a Marvel Godzilla, and I'm a huge G-fan! I can even tell it's the issue in which the Big G is abducted by aliens and taken to the moon! I understand the problems with the mono soundtrack, but the 7.1 sounds great. It would have been awesome if AB included at least the extras from the previous Blu, but they never do that. The clarity and detail of this new transfer is amazing. Definitely worth the upgrade. So quit griping and go buy this!

Silent Rage: Often described as "Chuck Norris vs. Michael Myers." The ass-kicking lawman takes on a disturbed axe murderer made virtually unkillable by medical experimentation. It's enjoyable, but could have used a bit more action and a less annoying sidekick.

Bloody Murder: Counselors trying to re-open a summer camp with an infamous past are picked off one by one by a masked killer. Sound familiar? This is a cheap-looking Friday the 13th knockoff with tame kills and nothing else of interest. Lame.

Bloody Murder 2: Counselors trying to close down a summer camp with an infamous past at the end of the season are picked off one by one by a masked killer. Sound familiar? This is at least a marginal improvement over the first one. It has a better pace and more gore and sex.

Don't Look in the Basement: A pretty young woman is trapped in an asylum that really is run by the inmates in this low-budget shlock. Tedious and annoying. Avoid!

First weekend of October:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: The Myers-less "black sheep" of the Halloween series is actually a great horror movie in its own right. It's a combination supernatural / mystery / techno-thriller with a great holiday feel to it (despite being set in sunny California). Tom Atkins is The Man here. In his panning of the film, the late great Roger Ebert described lead actress Stacey Nelkin as an appealing young actress deserving of better roles. I agree wholeheartedly with the first part, but she does well here too. It's good to see this movie move out of Michael's long shadow in recent years and gain a following of its own.

The Gorgon: I hadn't seen this Hammer film before, but always wanted to because of its departure from the usual Dracula / Frankenstein / Mummy stable to use a creature from Greek mythology. Unfortunately, the title Gorgon (Megera, not Medusa) doesn't look very good and isn't used very much. The central mystery of who is possessed by the Gorgon isn't necessary and doesn't make much sense, and the whole affair is pretty dull.

The Mist: A monster movie with a survival-horror setup not unlike a zombie movie. The creatures look good, except for some occasional obvious CGI. It's well acted by a cast that includes several faces now familiar from The Walking Dead. In fact, it's a real hoot to see Andrea and Dale switch roles here; while deciding on a course of action, Andrea says that people are basically good, and Dale says that he has no faith in human nature. As for the unusually grim ending:
Spoiler:
I respect the movie ending, even though I personally don't like it. It's cool that they would put out such a dark, downer of an ending. That took balls. Personally though, as a huge kaiju / monster fan, I don't like the mist breaking and the military moving in to clean everything up. I prefer the book's ending; it's more ambiguous in that we never find out how far the mist has spread and that it could cover the world. They substituted a more personal apocalypse for a possible real apocalypse. Besides, as soon as the final shots were fired, I knew what was coming.

Second and third week / weekend of October:

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season: This excellent TV show, set in the Atlanta area, follows a group of survivors as they attempt to make their way in a world overrun with flesh-eating zombies. It's very cinematic, with high production values and surprising amounts of gore for even cable TV. What really sells it though, is its attention to story and character development. In future seasons, I hope it retains its high visual standards and remains grounded in reality. (I haven't read much of the comic this is based on yet.)

The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season: What is it about zombies? They fire up the imagination more so than any other subgenre of horror. Watching a good zombie drama gets one to thinking: What would I do if the dead started to rise? Where would I go? How would I survive the zombie apocalypse? I think a lot of the credit has to go to the original Dawn of the Dead, which so brilliantly set up a scenario with survivors banding together in a novel location (a shopping mall). The Walking Dead continues that tradition, with a group of survivors all pulling in different directions. We have Shane, who will do anything to survive and thrive in this world. We have Dale, the conscience of the group, clinging to traditional decency and morality. And we have Rick, who draws from both philosophies as needed to protect his family. It makes the audience think, What would I do? I honestly don’t get the complaints a lot of people had with Season 2. The group finds (temporary) safe haven on a farm, but there is still zombie action in every episode. Ep. 1 had the zombie herd, Ep. 2 had the church and Carl getting shot, Ep. 3 had the sacrifice of Otis, Ep. 4 had the well walker, etc. Who could forget the barn massacre, and Farmageddon? It’s the human drama and staying grounded in reality that make the show so compelling, and that shouldn’t be sacrificed to make it into a live-action video game.

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season: A lot of people bemoaned the single location and lack of action in Season 2 (I wasn't one of them). Going into Season 3, I was more concerned with how the more "comic book-y" characters like Michonne and the Governor would be integrated into a show that is compelling largely because it remains so well grounded. I'm happy to say that Season 3 is the best one yet! The new characters are great, a couple of MIA ones return, and there is a lot more action all around. There are several episodes this season that have that season-ender, "big episode" feel to them. But the hits just keep on coming in the zombie apocalypse!

Last Year

October 2011

October 2010

Last edited by Zillamon51; 11-15-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Updated
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
MisterTwister
HackMaster

On my watch pile so far:

Hatchet III
Stepfather II
Evilspeak
American Mary (haven't seen it)
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Storage 24 (haven't seen it)
Aftershock
Burning Bright
Haunted-Ween
The Chilling
Trilogy of Terror
The Phantom of the Opera (1989)
Hell Night
Fade to Black (haven't seen it)

There's a lot more I'm going to add to it.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
spawningblue
Deadite

I need to get a watch pile planned out. I always pull out way more then I have time for, but sometimes I even surprise myself. I have a bunch of new titles that I have picked up the last few months and held for this, but I'll of course throw in some classics and second chance films as well.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
X-human
I ate my keys

Got my daily schedule all ready! It's mostly Dan Curtis and George Romero this year with the usual Universal Classics.

October 2013:
09/30 Invader ZIM: Germs (2001)
09/30 War of the Worlds (1953)
10/01 The Vampire Show (1954): The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
10/02 The Whisperer in Darkness (2011)
10/03 Apollo 18 (2011)
10/04 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961)
10/04 The X from Outer Space ( Uchu daikaiju Girara ) (1967)
10/05 Rifftrax: Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957)
10/05 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Monster A-Go Go (1965)
10/05 Genocide ( Konchû daisensô ) (1968)
10/06 The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XXIII (2012)
10/06 The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XXIV (2013)
10/06 The Black Cat (1934)
10/07 Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
10/08 Night of the Demons 2 (1994)
10/09 Trick 'r Treat (2007)
10/10 Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
10/11 Kiss of the Damned (2012)
10/12 Svengoolie (2013): Dracula (1931)
10/13 Svengoolie (2013): The Leech Woman (1960)
10/14 The Night Stalker (1972)
10/15 The Night Strangler (1973)
10/16 Bram Stoker's Dracula (1973)
10/17 Frankenstein (1973)
10/18 Dark Shadows (2012)
10/19 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Hobgoblins (1988)
10/19 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Dead Talk Back (1957)
10/19 Svengoolie (1997): Cult of the Cobra (1955)
10/19 Brain Damage (1988)
10/19 Mahakaal ( The Monster ) (1993)
10/19 Stacy ( ステーシー ) (2001)
10/20 The Return of the Vampire (1944)
10/21 The Dead Want Women (2012)
10/22 Dead Snow ( Død snø ) (2009)
10/23 Diary of the Dead (2007)
10/24 Rifftrax Live! (2013): Night of the Living Dead (1968)
10/25 Frankenstein's Army (2013)
10/26 Svengoolie (2013): Curse of the Undead (1959)
10/26 Vampira and Me (2012)
10/27 Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954)
10/28 The Wolf Man (1941)
10/29 The Invisible Man (1933)
10/30 The Mummy (1932)
10/31 Bride of the Monster (1955)
10/31 Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957)
10/31 Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Manos": The Hands of Fate (1966)
10/31 Season's Greetings (1996)
10/31 Hypnoscope (195?)
10/31 Monsters Crash the Pajama Party (1965)
10/31 Frankenstein (1931)
10/31 The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
10/31 Frankenstein (1910)
10/31 Dracula (1931)

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?

Last edited by X-human; 11-01-2013 at 12:56 PM.
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
msw7
Morso a morte

I don't know if I'll make it through one per day, but hopefully I'll manage more than 20 this year. I think I'll try to stick to DVDs I own, maybe capping off the month with a Friday the 13th marathon.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

I'm taking a few months off from work, so I really need to make this October count. My goal is no less than 150 movies, and I will be disappointed if I only get to that. I have to make this count! I've got a list of about 150 movies I want to watch and then I also have some I'll just pick up on the fly. Gotta pick up some easy groceries and snacks to keep my time away from the screen at a minimum.

I... will... not... be... stopped.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-boo-radley View Post
I'm taking a few months off from work, so I really need to make this October count. My goal is no less than 150 movies, and I will be disappointed if I only get to that. I have to make this count! I've got a list of about 150 movies I want to watch and then I also have some I'll just pick up on the fly. Gotta pick up some easy groceries and snacks to keep my time away from the screen at a minimum.

If there was ever a time that we needed a bowing down icon this is it. Can't wait to read about what you watch!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I got sick, so my Disney Marathon has pretty much died while I tanked in bed.

But, while recovering, I've been downloading movies from YouTube. Last year, I made a list of YouTube channels which had a good dozen or so horror movies but almost all of them have been taken down since. Luckily, some more have sprang up and most of the movies I missed they now have (Boogens, Willies, Spookies, etc).

Which of course is why I don't want to take a chance this year. I'll also probably watch a few on Netflix but my computer plays Watch Instant very choppily. Even YouTube is a pain to watch, which is why I download of course. (VLC player rules.)

Still cooking up my final list.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-boo-radley View Post

You should be able to do it with no problems. I usually manage 120-140 each October and that's with work and various other distractions. If you don't watch 300 I'll be disappointed with you.

I booked off the 1st this year so I can stay up late to watch a movie right at midnight and then have the whole day to get started on the massive pile I have sitting here. Getting excited!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Marclar
Victim

I am going to re-visit Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci and some Dave Cronenberg too:

Opera
The Stendhal Syndrome
The Beyond
City of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Them!
The Dead hate the Living
The burning
The Walking Dead Season 3 (haven't seen it, Netflix just got it)
Scanners
Rabid
Videodrome
Trancers
Trancers 2

maybe something else, but these for sure.
Marclar is offline   Reply With Quote