Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I'm only donating a few bucks, I don't care if I get it back
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Workshed
October!

While I am in total agreement with Demoi's point, to rally against a system that states its intentions up front is futile.

I don't get it, either, Demoni: why affluent filmmakers need fans to not only fund their projects but then PAY for the projects upon release--or why fans would agree to this--but that's the very nature of Kickstarter. It's like rallying against gravity.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
While I am in total agreement with Demoi's point, to rally against a system that states its intentions up front is futile.

I don't get it, either, Demoni: why affluent filmmakers need fans to not only fund their projects but then PAY for the projects upon release--or why fans would agree to this--but that's the very nature of Kickstarter. It's like rallying against gravity.
I think Kickstarter should be for budding filmmakers trying to get their foot in the door and not for established people in the business. He's at almost every convention - maybe he could raise the money from all those autographs he charges for.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I think Kickstarter should be for budding filmmakers trying to get their foot in the door and not for established people in the business. He's at almost every convention - maybe he could raise the money from all those autographs he charges for.
See I agree with this.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #20
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I'm only donating a few bucks, I don't care if I get it back
I as not talking about recouping your investment, I was only mentioning why would you pay to see/own something you already financed.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:

Yes, and as I stated before, letīs look at the example of "Veronica Mars", a series that I enjoyed. It was a hit show, the fan community was full force behind a movie of the series, so why would the movie only move forward if enough money was raised???

In just a few hours they had more than enough to make 2 movies, and then the studio greenlit the project.

To me that only means one thing: exploration!!! Not only the studio makes the movie for free, they only make profit from it. Since opening day, every buck would mean profit.

And what about the fans that contribute it to the whole thing??? A mere "thank you"??? And they have to pay to see the thing in theaters and then again to own it on a physical media??? Surely, everyone who spends their money financing something that is very dear to then would like to see it on the big screen and then own it later.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
And what about the fans that contribute it to the whole thing??? A mere "thank you"??? And they have to pay to see the thing in theaters and then again to own it on a physical media??? Surely, everyone who spends their money financing something that is very dear to then would like to see it on the big screen and then own it later.
C'mon now, Tommy's gonna send you an autographed DVD of the movie if you cough up $250. No one here is gonna have to double dip if they just pay the $250.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #23
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Jeez...another Zombie movie?
The genre has been oversaturated during the last 10 years, to the point that I donīt give a shit anymore. 99% of the zombie movies that are coming out are so bad, I just wanna dig my eyes out and burn them afterwards.

I would rather see him do an old-school Slasher or something like Creepshow etc.

But, Iīll guess Iīll give him a chance. But he better deliver on his words about taking the zombies back to the darker and scarier roots. Something like Fulciīs "Zombie". Cause if this is another running zombie movie...
I like his idea with the camo zombies. It sounds pretty wild. And he could do it right without people changing stuff this way. At least I hope.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I'm not comfortable with the "flexible funding" this project has. The donated money is kept according to that whether the project reaches it's goal or not. I'm assuming that means also that there is no promise that the film will see the light of day, and you're SOL if that happens.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Zillamon51
Maniac

I don't like this trend of people already established in the industry panhandling for funds on Kickstarter. And I am not in a position to throw my own money away like this anyway. But I will say, in defense of Tom Savini, that my GF and I have met him twice at local haunts, and he was very cool to us both times. Neither event was extremely busy, so we were able to kind of hang out and talk with him for a while. Yes, she totally geeked out about his work on Day of the Dead. He showed us Sex Machine's gun from From Dusk 'Till Dawn, and told us us about his FX school. He was selling merchandise and glossy photos, but autographs and personal pics were free. At the first event, we showed up as food was arriving for him and his crew, and he even gave us an egg roll. So I find it hard to reconcile all these reports of him being a dick to fans with the cool cat we met.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
Mok
Family is Forever

Zillamon: Yes, he was cool with me too. And he signed anything I wanted for free.

Everyone else: Most films aren't funded by the people who wrote/directed it. Hollywood is run by rich people who could give a fuck what you "true fans" want. They are only interested in casting a wide net. Tom Savini doesn't have the kind of money you think he has. If he did you wouldn't be able to bitch about how he was rude to you at some convention because he wouldn't need to go to them!
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Everyone else: Most films aren't funded by the people who wrote/directed it. Hollywood is run by rich people who could give a fuck what you "true fans" want. They are only interested in casting a wide net. Tom Savini doesn't have the kind of money you think he has. If he did you wouldn't be able to bitch about how he was rude to you at some convention because he wouldn't need to go to them!
Why so defensive?

Yes, I understand how the system works. It's also called networking and I am sure with the amount of time he has been in the business that he has enough connections inside the business to raise some money for a Zombie movie. The director of Kick-Ass was able to produce that independently by raising money at a dinner party. He didn't run out and ask the fans of the comic to fund it, did he?

Just because he wasn't a jerk to you all, doesn't mean he wasn't a prick to others. Just like him being a prick to some people, doesn't mean he's a prick to everyone. My point was that he wasn't receptive to me at all (and all I did was pay him a compliment) and was stand-offish and *I* wouldn't support someone who behaved that way. I don't really constitue that as bitching. I could care less if he is miserable because he has no money and has to spend the rest of his days dealing with his "annoying" fans at cons but he may want to think about how he interacts with them in the future (as many have voiced similar experiences as mine), especially if he wants hand-outs from them.

Last edited by deepred; 09-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:

I don't get it, either, Demoni: why affluent filmmakers need fans to not only fund their projects but then PAY for the projects upon release----but that's the very nature of Kickstarter. It's like rallying against gravity.

Simple, no one wants to gamble with their own money. This way if something falls through or when things go wrong, the filmmakers can walk away unscathed. Bitchassedness is word that comes to mind. If you believe in your project, fund the fucker yourself, bet on yourself. Doing the kickstarter thing is like betting against yourself. If not betting against yourself, it shows a serious lack of faith in their projects.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Well, he did have the money to produce The Sadist (2013) which he is starring in. So he's got money for that, but not money for his OWN project. You think he would have used the money for the movie that he's writing, directing, etc...

Also since it's a "zombie" film, you think he could have pulled some support from Romero & Nicotero.

Last edited by baggio; 09-11-2013 at 03:58 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #30
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
My point was that he wasn't receptive to me at all (and all I did was pay him a compliment) and was stand-offish and *I* wouldn't support someone who behaved that way. I don't really constitue that as bitching. I could care less if he is miserable because he has no money and has to spend the rest of his days dealing with his "annoying" fans at cons but he may want to think about how he interacts with them in the future (as many have voiced similar experiences as mine), especially if he wants hand-outs from them.
Why so defensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Well, he did have the money to produce The Sadist (2013) which he is starring in. So he's got money for that, but not money for his OWN project. You think he would have used the money for the movie that he's writing, directing, etc...
Looked it up. There's like 7 people listed as producers in some capacity.

Last edited by Mok; 09-11-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote