Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
deepred
Maniac

Cronenberg's "Shivers" Gets A Remake

Cronenberg's "Shivers" Gets A Remake

Quote:
Danish actress and filmmaker Rie Rasmussen has been hired to helm a remake David Cronenberg's 1975 first feature film "Shivers" for TAJJ Media and Bakerís Bunk 11.

Ian Driscoll's screenplay updates the story of a parasite outbreak that turns apartment complex residents into sex fiends. The new one will be updated for a "post HIV digital world".

The original film was also called "They Came From Within" in certain countries.

Jeff Sackman and Michael Baker will produce the project which aims to begin filming in February. Casting is now underway.
Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/285...-gets-a-remake

At the very least, maybe this will get us a region 1 re-release of the original!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Franco
Weekender

Is this any good? Don't know who she is (Rie Rasmussen).

But I hope it helps a lot in bringing the original one by Cronenberg to Blu-Ray by the time this remake is released. Most of the copies I've seen had a not so good image quality.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Paff

While I know this will end up sucking, at least Shivers is a film I'd consider a good candidate for remakery. As mentioned in the article, the post HIV angle, not to mention that homosexuality and S&M are not as taboo as they were when Cronenberg made the original.

That said, I'm sure they'll wuss out and avoid the sexual controversy that Cronenberg so willingly embraced. Much like how the remake of I Spit on Your Grave substantially toned down the rape scene

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
At the very least, maybe this will get us a region 1 re-release of the original!
i really hope that ends up happening. It's one of the few films of his I'm still missing.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Well, I'll say I'm curious. I'll agree that this is one of those landmark films that could hold up well to a remake, both to change with the times and to be improved with a better budget and more skill. As much as I love Cronenberg, and I do love Cronenberg, this was still his first film and some of that shows. The politics are a bit naive, the craft is rough, and it does really peter out a bit as it moves towards the end. So there is certainly some room for improvement.

From what I've read about Rasmussen's "Human Zoo" it seems that she's pretty comfortable shooting explicit sex scenes, so that's a good sign that the concept won't be watered down.

My only fear is that, since the ending of the original kinda just turns into an assembly line of violent images without any real narrative or emotional thrust, the remake will instead amp up that aspect and be nothing more than an effects demo reel. Sort of the way that I think the Evil Dead remake went.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Shivers is a film I'd consider a good candidate for remakery.
I actually agree.

Normally, I go vicious against even the rumor of a remake but... there were so many Night of the Living Dead take-offs, including Rabid (which I think is superior to They Came from Within), and sorta Romero's own The Crazies (which is a little underrated). (Oh yeah, and: they've already remade everything good already except for Rosemary's Baby, Motel Hell, Suspiria, and Phantasm. Why not just keep going? No more damage to do.)

If the person behind this one has a brain and this doesn't turn out like fucking Quarantine- there's a lot of potential here.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i really hope that ends up happening. It's one of the few films of his I'm still missing.
The region 2 release without being that much of a special edition is always there if you really need it. You can get it used at Amazon UK for a good price or new but for a lot more.

Unless you were talking about a blu-ray, in that case I don't think there is one available.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

It would be a fantastic match for Criterion.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post

But I hope it helps a lot in bringing the original one by Cronenberg to Blu-Ray by the time this remake is released. Most of the copies I've seen had a not so good image quality.
Agreed. I want the original (and Rabid) on blu-ray. I couldn't care less about this or any other remake.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
She's a model that was in Femme Fatale and Angel-A. I want to see one of her movies eventually. I can't remember which right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
While I know this will end up sucking, at least Shivers is a film I'd consider a good candidate for remakery. As mentioned in the article, the post HIV angle, not to mention that homosexuality and S&M are not as taboo as they were when Cronenberg made the original.

That said, I'm sure they'll wuss out and avoid the sexual controversy that Cronenberg so willingly embraced. Much like how the remake of I Spit on Your Grave substantially toned down the rape scene
I remember seeing Rie Rasmussen first in Femme Fatale's lesbian scene. That was pretty strong for a mainstream film. I don't think she will tone down anything.

They could have some wild scenes with all the glass buildings we have now. Kind of like a more extreme version of the Predator 2 window scene. People watching from outside like it's funny but people in the building are passing on the infection. Pools are outside and on the roof of many buildings. It could be awesome.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I still haven't seen Shivers. So hopefully this will get a new release, and as DVD-fanatic mentioned, a Criterion release would be perfect.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

If the original Shivers does get released, I hope it's on Blu-Ray. I would double dip, since I already own the DVD from Image already, and I would still hold onto my current copy, since it is OOP.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
Harry Warden
HackMaster

This is the only Cronenberg film that I haven't seen, but I keep hearing about it. The prices for the OOP Image disc on ebay are simply ridiculous and I refuse to shell out the prices they are asking. Does anybody on this board know if a new R1 Blu/DVD will be released? I don't have a region free player. I thought Criterion might release it but a las, I guess it's not meant to be.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Hopefully this will get a new Blu release of the Original film that really doesn't need a remake.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote