Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #151
Workshed
October!

Kotaku liked it, too:

Quote:
The Robocop remake, out in theaters today, is a pitch-perfect, badass update of a movie that is practically legendary. As if that weren't surprising enough, it also manages to revive that lost art of the 80s: the smart B-movie that stumbles a bit but still goes where blockbusters fear to tread.
Quote:
You'll be surprised at how deep the science fictional speculation is here. The action is pretty damn fun too.
Quote:
While the ending isn't as satisfying as one would hope, the fact is that this movie is brutally awesome in ways it simply has no right to be. This Robocop is so fully reimagined that it might as well be a different movie from the 80s original. Many of the themes are the same, as are the characters, but this Robocop shines on its own terms the way the Planet of the Apes reboot did in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but Robocop is one of the better science fiction movies of the year so far. You won't want to miss it.
more @ link
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 AM   #152
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Eesh...that review was painful to read...cringe-inducing really.

Quote:
I never thought I'd be saying this, but Robocop is one of the better science fiction movies of the year so far.
Isn't it practically the only sci-fi film released thus far?

Quote:
it also manages to revive that lost art of the 80s: the smart B-movie that stumbles a bit but still goes where blockbusters fear to tread.
LOLWUT?

Last edited by Chomp; 02-13-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #153
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I got a free ticket for this with the remastered BD of the original. Hope something else is playing that I want to see, but if worst comes to worst I'll see this.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #154
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Eesh...that review was painful to read...cringe-inducing really.

Isn't it practically the only sci-fi film released thus far?

LOLWUT?
It's no "filmfilosopher," that's for sure!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #155
Workshed
October!

Gawker weighs in w/ less enthusiasm:

Quote:
Most importantly, though, it is not funny. At the screening I attended, there were two lines that drew real laughs, both of which referred to something outside the world of the movie proper. One was simply that the filmmakers had decided to create an arbitrary opportunity for Samuel L. Jackson to say "motherfucker," because Samuel L. Jackson is all about saying "motherfucker" in movies, dig? Motherfucker!
I'm OK with a hiatus from Samuel L. Jackson in movies, btw. the guy is everywhere.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 AM   #156
booper71
HackMaster

What happens if Robocop gets shot in the mouth?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #157
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I'll likely catch a screening this long weekend but still have to watch Jack Ryan before it disappears. I'm going in with low expectations, like I did with Dredd last year, but won't mind if I end up impressed like I was with Dredd. I could really use a good movie to kickstart my theater-going. Haven't been to the movies since Hobbit 2. Between the high ticket prices, annoying fellow patrons and crappy movies I've lost the enthusiasm for the experience
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #158
Sinister Ash
Stalker

Saw this the other day going in without expectations since the original is one of my favorite movies.

I actually liked how they tweaked the original story to keep the mystery from 1987 fans and kept it fresh by introducing some new ideas to develop on. It was also fun to see the nods to the original as well.

I think if you go in without comparing it to the original (which is hard) you might be pleasantly surprised. Pacing felt brisk despite the 121 min run time and that is saying a lot because I can hardly sit through many of the 90 min movies made these days.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #159
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
What happens if Robocop gets shot in the mouth?
they must rebuild.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #160
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Ash View Post
Saw this the other day going in without expectations since the original is one of my favorite movies.

I actually liked how they tweaked the original story to keep the mystery from 1987 fans and kept it fresh by introducing some new ideas to develop on. It was also fun to see the nods to the original as well.

I think if you go in without comparing it to the original (which is hard) you might be pleasantly surprised. Pacing felt brisk despite the 121 min run time and that is saying a lot because I can hardly sit through many of the 90 min movies made these days.
Totally agree. I went to see it only because I had some free movie cash, and honestly wasn't expecting too much based on the trailer... but it was surprisingly enjoyable! As a remake, it added enough original elements and changes to the basic story to be thoroughly engaging. I'm quite surprised it hasn't done better at the box office.

The production/costumes design and visual effects were particularly good. And the nods in the music score, etc. were great additions. And damn it looked good on the big screen fine visual detail galore.

Is it as good as the original? Well, no... but it's different at least, and not just a straight simplistic clone of it.

I'll definitely buy the Blu-ray when it comes out.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #161
Dave
Pimp

Yeah I agree with you guys. It's different, and that's good. A remake should be different. I enjoyed it.

A sequel? It's at 107 million (37 domestic and 100 foreign). Budget shows $100 million. I suppose it's possible.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #162
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Here's an interesting article. I hope that the heads of the main studios will read this and begin to comprehend:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...rtner=yahootix

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #163
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

I have $7.50 movie money from the new Blu, so I'll probably check it out sometime this week.

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #164
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this, so I'll ask here. Does anyone have or know where I can get a cover for the Robocop Prime Directives series? I have them each in their own case and was hoping to put them all into one to save space.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #165
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

I watched Robocop today, its not great but its also not that bad, I think had they cast a better lead than Kinnaman. He was wooden before he even became Robocop and he was one if the worst aspects of the film for me. The other thing I felt the film lacked was more of the original score.

What I did like was the remake was it didn't feel like they just remade the original it felt like they actually took the concept and changed it. I loved the Sam Jackson news reports, they took the idea from the original but did it in a different way. All in all I'd say it was decent enough for me to want a sequel.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote