HackMaster

2013 TIFF Midnight Madness Linup

Quite a few of them look pretty good.

http://tiff.net/thefestival/filmprog...idnightmadness
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
dave13
HackMaster

definitely interested in seeing The Green Inferno.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Ash28M
HackMaster

Checked out "The Station" last night at Midnight. IT could of been that I was sitting too close and possibly that I was a bit too tired but it just didn't do much for me. I didn't think it earned much of its dramatic moments and the creature designs weren't very good. It reminded me a lot of The Last Winter and the Thing which is what I was hopping for. It just wasn't nearly as good as either.

Last edited by Ash28M; 09-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Any Canadians here check out The Green Inferno last night, and if so, how was it?

Would also be interested in opinions on All Cheerleaders Die and The Sacrament.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
msw7
Morso a morte

Oculus, Witching and Bitching, Why Don't You Play in Hell, and R100 caught my eye as well - any word on any of those?
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
Cydeous
Axxon N

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Any Canadians here check out The Green Inferno last night, and if so, how was it?

I haven't seen Green Inferno but I did see All Cheerleaders Die and The Sacrament. All Cheerleaders Die was a comedy horror and it was pretty entertaining. Lucky McGee said that they plan on releasing their original version (from 2001) along with this reimagining when it gets released to disc.

The Sacrament was a faux documentary about a Jonestown like cult. It got pretty intense and I thought that it was great. Ti West commented on the original ending but I won't say anything for obvious reasons.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post

I did see the Green Inferno last night and thought it was great. Not perfect as the acting had it's highs and lows and there was the odd scene I thought could of been left out. Other than That it was very entertaining. Definitely a recommend.

I saw the Sacrament today and it was also good. Maybe not as good as House of the Devil or the Innkeepers but good overall with a few scenes that were very memorable.

Also checked out "Horns" which was again quite good, maybe not one of Aja's best but still entertaining and yet another recommendation from me.

So far The Green Inferno is Definitely the best of the lot that I've seen so far.

Last edited by Ash28M; 09-16-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
x666x
HackMaster

Saw:

All Cheerleaders Must Die: A film more fit for Netflix than the theater. I would not rush out to spend any money on this. After all, neither did the filmmakers. Terrible After Effects style fx with the supernatural elements of the film while the blood was ok for the violent scenes. The actors did great considering the lackluster story. However, overall this is a shot on cheap digital video grade kind of deal. It is only an upgrade to the original because the original was shot literally camcorder style. Some intentionally funny moments, though, and some decent violence.

The Station: Heavily inspired by The Thing (Carpenter), this film is well shot on good cameras, lenses, etc. The creatures in it are rather neat looking but as per the director's description, they were created with the whole monster/creature film thing in mind. I would describe them as high quality versions of old school drive in film creatures crossed with decidedly cheesy attempts at the whole 80's The Thing/Aliens kind of deal. Pacing is slow at the start, but it picks up and cool, bloody mayhem ensues. The acting was well done and there were some funny moments. Overall, an excellently done tongue and cheek take on The Thing.

Green Inferno is a luckluster cannibal entry that is also only of Netflix value in the way that it looks cheap. Even before the movie, Eli Roth said to dispel any expectations you have going in. When he said that, I already figured it was going to be a tame take on the cannibal genre and it was. I was very happy with the lack of animal cruelty. However, despite KNB on practical fx duty, the poor quality in making this film diminished the impact on the scenes that actually had some cool violence. So while stuff does happen once and a while, it just has mediocre impact. Hostel was great, what happened? Someone on stage gave Roth credit for letting them shoot however they wish. To Roth's credit, he is better at being a more hands on director. So being more diplomatic with his crew is allowing them to shoot his films at a lower level of talent. I get it, he is Eli "f!ing" Roth, so he can coast on the power of his name alone. However, he is too young to already go stale a la Argento and Romero, especially considering he has not yet reached the film making prowess of those guys in their hey day. I wish he would become more invested with his films again. He is such a good salesperson on stage that it is ruining his necessity to take his film making seriously. If Roth was a car salesperson, the big three would be doing so well that there would be no jobless rate in the US, anymore.

So far then, I am not digging the lower quality outings from directors that I know have done way better in the past. I know The Woman did not rake in tons of cash for the director, but given the more commercial friendly storyline for Cheerleaders, I would think he could have found a producer with deeper pockets for it. I guess if no horror is coming from Europe a la Martyrs, The Inside, and REC, then the cheaper looking fare with name directors will have to be among the best out there this year. Tough to swallow at $20 per film.

Last edited by x666x; 09-09-2013 at 03:18 AM.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
Ash28M
HackMaster

For what it's worth even though x66x's and I seem to have polar opinions, both The Green Inferno and The Station seem to be getting good reviews around the web. So no one should be discouraged from watching either.

Last edited by Ash28M; 09-09-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
For what it's worth even though x66x's and I seem to have polar opinions, both The Green Inferno and The Station seem to be getting good reviews around the web. So no one should be discouraged from watching either.
I trust your opinion on both.

Green Inferno in particular I can't wait to see.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
x666x
HackMaster

I definitely did not mean to contradict anyone else's opinion here nor I am not trying to suggest not ever seeing the films that I feel are the "lesser". I just cannot recommend paying theater prices and lining up to go see these. They are disappointing considering who made them and that they were part of the festival line up. Felt a bit duped.

And to add to the diplomacy of Ash28M, the group that I saw Cheerleaders with was universally underwhelmed with it. While Green Inferno did seem to go over better with others, bearing in mind that only myself and one other person has actually watched the Italian fare over the years.

Have not seen Sacrament, but was told it was great and to not go in expecting it to be a horror film. Also, someone I know just got out of Oculus earlier tonight and said it too is about the creep factor like his earlier film Absentia, but even better. That's a good sign.

Last edited by x666x; 09-09-2013 at 07:39 AM.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
Ash28M
HackMaster

Check out this footage I found for a 1990 Midnight Madness screening of Bride of Re-Animator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddfESC12Lf8
Old 09-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
Ash28M
HackMaster

I checked out a couple more horror related films before TIFF concluded.

"Proxy"

This film borrowed a lot from DePalma and Hitchcock with a it's structure and score. Unfortunately lacked any atmosphere and at 2 hours was a bit of a struggle to get though. It had much of the ingredients to be suspenseful classic ride but other then a disturbing start and a cool bathtub shooting seen, ended up for me feeling like someone watched a bunch of DePalma's films, thought he could make one and failed.

"Oculus"

Now to the good stuff. Fromt he director of the underrated "Absentia" This may have been the best of the festival for me and I wouldn't have thought so after reading the synopsis. A film about a haunted mirror. Hasn't that been done and how can that be good idea to make another? Not only was it good it was very good and very creepy. Likely characters and some good imagery. Definitely recommended.

----------------------------------------------------

So to conclude my 2013 TIFF experience.

Oculus and The Green Inferno were my Two standouts.

Horns and The Sacrament would both fall into my pretty good to good catergory

while even though I probably will give them both another shot eventually The Station and Proxy where the two that just didn't do anything for me the first time around.

Last edited by Ash28M; 09-16-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
Cydeous
Axxon N

I saw a few other horror films at the TIFF:
  • The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears (from the directors of Amer). If you liked Amer you will probably like this one. IMO, this one was heavily inspired by Deep Red and I really enjoyed it. The building where it was filmed was pretty awesome and a character in itself.
  • Under the Skin. This one has Scarlet Johansson nude and in her underwear a lot so I'm sure it'll get attention based on that. I really liked the movie even though it was very slow paced. She plays an alien luring men to their doom.
  • Rigor Mortis. A Hong Kong hopping vampire movie that pays homage to the Mr. Vampire series. This one was about a haunted apartment in a run down complex. There are ghosts, vampires, and a lot of crazy action. I really liked it even though I haven't seen any of the Mr. Vampire movies.
  • Witching & Bitching (directed by Alex de la Iglesia). This was a horror comedy that starts off with a jewellery heist that leads the robbers to town inhabited by witches. I thought the ending was too over the top but I still liked the movie. It was interesting to hear de la Iglesia's stories about the town and the weird happenings that occurred there.