Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

America's Favorite Horror Themed Attractions

So I did a search and was unable to come up with a similar thread, maybe I missed it? Hard to believe there isn't one, anyhow...
Like Rob Zombie, I've had a fascination since I was a child with not only horror and monster films but horror related attractions whether they be 'haunted' inns, amusement park haunted houses, travelling carnivals with their galleries of the grotesque or just good old fashioned, corny as Hell wax museums. For me, these places were as intrinsic to summer vacations as the beach or fireworks displays. With summer upon us and GPS technology according us the ability to quickly locate even the most obscure places, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to list our favorite schlocky hell holes that seem like second homes to us.

The House Of Frankenstein. 213 Canada St. Lake George, NY. 12845.

For me nothing spelled summer in the seventies like arriving in Lake George Village and spotting the skulls and crossbones flag towering ominously mid-way through the village center.
Long a kitschy staple for the region and an enduring institution since the mid-seventies when it first opened its doors, I believe that this place probably fostered a love of the genre in many a vacationing youth. From the Frankenstein Monster that prowls the front street greeting would be patrons to the huge second level mechanized Phantom of the Opera display, the House of Frankenstein may be dated but truly is a retro must see for fans of horror.
Inside you'll find wax figures and mechanized scenes that can be activated at the touch of a button. I always enjoyed the mock ups dedicated to Universal Studios the most-The Frankenstein Monster, Dracula, The Creature from The Black Lagoon and The Wolfman. Interspersed with these are scenes of true life historical horrors-medieval torture, executions and the like. In recent years there's been an attempt to update the attraction with nods to more recent movie maniacs but this has largely failed in my opinion and the most interesting stuff is that which remains much as it was in the mid-seventies.
Though no one will touch you and there are no actors, there are a few interactive set-pieces as well to truly involve visitors.
As an added bonus, the HOF is reportedly one of the most haunted sites in the area, as detailed by author Linda Lee Macken in her book 'Haunted Lake George'. Allegedly the site once served for public executions prior to the house being built and subsequently has been connected to several suicides including residents and staff members during its history. I can't attest to the veracity of any of the claims, but I can attest that it's a fun way to kill an hour or so.

http://www.frankensteinwaxmuseum.com/
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
This week on faux ghost hunters...........they visit House of Frankenstein!

....."oh my gawd did you hear that!"
What is your obsession with 'faux' lately?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I grew up in Brooklyn and we'd spend summers in Lake George. Good memories!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
I grew up in Brooklyn and we'd spend summers in Lake George. Good memories!!
The best.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
spawningblue
Deadite

That House of Frankenstein sounds great!

There aren't too many horror themed attractions around me that I can think of, although Niagara Falls has a ton of wax museums and haunted walkthrough attractions. Although they are pricey as hell!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
That House of Frankenstein sounds great!

There aren't too many horror themed attractions around me that I can think of, although Niagara Falls has a ton of wax museums and haunted walkthrough attractions. Although they are pricey as hell!
There's one in Niagara Falls called Nightmare Factory or something to that effect. I never went but my friend did and enjoyed it quite a bit. Good reviews on TripAdvisor too.
Niagara Falls has a House Of Frankenstein, Dracula and The Haunted House. The Haunted House is a cheapy Disney knock-off, but oddly I enjoyed its animatronic charm the most. The rest consisted of people chasing you in the dark and loud noises, pretty dull.