Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
rijir
Stalker

The original "Anthology" plans for the Halloween films after "Season of the Witch"

For me Halloween 3 is my favorite of any of the sequels by far. Michael dies in part 2 (which to me doesn't hold a candle to part 1). So Carpenter wanted to take the series into an anthology direction with a different Halloween themed film each year. This obviously didn't happen and we got the cookie cutter sequels that people were begging for. I have always wondered if any scripts, treatments or story ideas for the "anthology" films exist. If they were going to do one each year they must have had at least the next one planned.

Does anyone have any info on this?
rijir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
zombiehorror
Screamy Bopper

I don't believe that concept ever really got going! Carpenter intended Halloween to be the end of Michael but once the film started making bank the studios quickly saw the continuation of the shape as the future of the franchise and thusly Halloween II. Carpenter got lucky getting to do his own thing with Halloween III but by then it was to late, fans expected to see the return of Michael in a film titled Halloween III! It really is to bad that the franchise didn't go in the anthology direction and maybe have had few entries without Michael before revisiting the boogyman!
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

To my knowledge, they didn't start working on a a 4th one as they wanted to see how successful Season of the Witch was.

A lot of people forget that Season of the Witch, poorly received as it was, wasn't a flop. With a budget of $2.5m and returns of $14m, it was a success in some small way; though not successful enough to start production on another entry.

And I agree: It's definitely my favorite of the sequels.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
thing
Maniac

I hate the revisionist love for this subpar film. I think if it wasn't a Halloween film it would be just another weird little film from the 80's that doesn't quite work.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
ronnie21
HackMaster

funny thing is. they waited till 1988 to return the shape, that's 5 years later.. Surprised they didn't do it earlier.. I personally never cared for any of the shape sequels after II, I just didn't see any reason to see him back. He kinda started to wear out his welcome by the end of Halloween II.. How much more can they say after that.. But it was a money thing and it did very well and I remember people were so excited about Michael coming back, they just didn't care..
ronnie21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
thing
Maniac

I loved part 4
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
I loved part 4
Me too, it might not be the perfect sequel to 'Halloween', but it is an above average slasher film.
The franchise went south quickly after that though.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Dobby
HackMaster

Universal Pictures was behind this misguided franchise. After part 2 and 3 it's obvious they sat on the film rights until 1988. Why they waited then handed it over to CBS/FOX near the end of the decade is baffling. While I enjoyed the first 2 sequels the rest don't exist in my mind. Universal made $39 million+ then did nothing with this franchise. They should have fired off the guns and made another feature.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Me too, it might not be the perfect sequel to 'Halloween', but it is an above average slasher film.
The franchise went south quickly after that though.
I agree about Halloween 4. It's easily the best of the sequels with a script that's miles better than II's. If this film had a better-looking Shape and Dean Cundey behind the camera there's no question in my mind that virtually everyone would prefer it to HII. As much as I love HII it's much more of a typical slasher than a Halloween film. 4 relegated Michael back to the shadows (most of the time) and focused on a few likable characters as opposed to a stereotypical cast of idiots.

To answer the original question no other anthology-type sequels ever made it to the script stage. Carpenter and others have stated many times that HIII was perceived as a bomb. No one thought differently until the F13th and ANOES sequels kept ringing the register.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
deepred
Maniac

I think it was an interesting idea and am glad that American Horror Story has adopted it in its own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
I hate the revisionist love for this subpar film. I think if it wasn't a Halloween film it would be just another weird little film from the 80's that doesn't quite work.
Yeah, lots of people LOVE the third one now. I watched it for the first time this last Halloween (and was even psyched to see it after hearing all the great things) and while I found the ideas and certain parts interesting and with potential, I ultimately found the execution lacking in the end and that it didn't come together in a way that left me satisfied.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I think it was an interesting idea and am glad that American Horror Story has adopted it in its own way.

Yeah, lots of people LOVE the third one now. I watched it for the first time this last Halloween (and was even psyched to see it after hearing all the great things) and while I found the ideas and certain parts interesting and with potential, I ultimately found the execution lacking in the end and that it didn't come together in a way that left me satisfied.
yeah i didnt like it as a kid and after reading so many people trying to word it up I gave it another go a few years back and really wanted to like it but nah its kind of a drawn out mess
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
HoldenMcNeil
Stalker

To be honest the biggest detractor for the sequels for me is The Shape himself. I don't know what it is, but he just didn't look or move right in Part 4 and especially in Part 5. And that mask in Part 5... I think George did a better job in Part 6, but the whole magic of The Shape was already lost.

I'm totally not trolling here, and I hate Resurrection with such passion, but I think Brad Loree did the best job playing The Shape since Dick Warlock in Part 2.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

37!!!

You Mean the Movie Lied!?
HoldenMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMcNeil View Post
To be honest the biggest detractor for the sequels for me is The Shape himself. I don't know what it is, but he just didn't look or move right in Part 4 and especially in Part 5. And that mask in Part 5... I think George did a better job in Part 6, but the whole magic of The Shape was already lost.

I'm totally not trolling here, and I hate Resurrection with such passion, but I think Brad Loree did the best job playing The Shape since Dick Warlock in Part 2.
I don't disagree with any of this. George Wilbur's (Out Of) Shape is a huge negative for H4. And Shanks is even more of an over-sized Jason clone in 4. I think it would be a lot easier to recognize the superiority of the writing in 4 if Michael looked right and the D.O.P did a better job of aping Cundey.

Michael's ridiculously altered appearance after HII is good supporting evidence for those who think all of the later sequels are cynical cash grabs. The make-up guys couldn't even be bothered to consult the earlier films.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMcNeil View Post

Yeah the masks really bother me after part 2. I really only enjoy 1 and 2. I think 4 would be substantially better if he looked creepier.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Yeah the masks really bother me after part 2. I really only enjoy 1 and 2. I think 4 would be substantially better if he looked creepier.
The crazy thing about this is that the mask for 4 was again converted (poorly) from a Don Post Captain Kirk mask (likely a later version than the 75 that was converted for the original Halloween). The eye cuts are obviously way too small, the neck is way too long, and the hair and hair line are terribly done.

Anyone who doubts they used a converted Kirk should check out the schoolhouse scene near the end where Myers grabs Loomis and throws him (one of the first scenes shot for H4). You can clearly see that the mask still had blonde hair.