HackMaster

Drafthouse Films get The Visitor (1979)

It seems Drafthouse Films got the rights to The Visitor (1979) from Code Red:

http://www.theaterthoughts.com/?p=4862

"DRAFTHOUSE FILMS REDISCOVERS

THE SCI-FI/HORROR EPIC THAT 1979 COULDN’T HANDLE

Neglected & Incredibly Ambitious “The Visitor” Comes Restored To

Theaters, Home Video & Digital Platforms Later This Year

AUSTIN, TX – Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 – Drafthouse Films, the film distribution arm of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, announced today the acquisition of North American rights to ’70s phantasmagoric sci-fi/horror/action/??? hybrid The Visitor. Legendary Hollywood director/actor John Huston (The Maltese Falcon; Treasure Of The Sierra Madre) stars as an intergalactic warriorbattling alongside a cosmic Christ figure against a demonic eight-year-old girl and her pet hawk, as the fate of the universe hangs in the balance. A new HD restoration from the original film materials is planned for a theatrical, home video and multi Video On Demand/Digital platform release later in the year.

In the dawn of ’70s American blockbusters, European production companies emerged stateside, attempting to recreate box office gold by cloning Hollywood. The infamous Supreme Court-banned Jaws copy Great White, The Exorcist-esque Beyond The Door, and countless otherswere packaged for export and the burgeoning drive-in circuit. Producer Ovidio G. Assonitis and Director/Professional Body Builder Michael J. Paradise’sTheVisitorstands as perhaps the most ambitious of all, taking its inspiration by artfully fusing The Omen, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, The Birds, Rosemary’s Baby, The Fury and Star Wars alongside a baffling cast that includes Shelley Winters (NightOfTheHunter), Glenn Ford (Superman), Lance Henriksen (Aliens), Franco Nero (Django) and Sam Peckinpah (director of TheWildBunch).

The result is not so much a carbon copy, but rather an entertainingly hallucinatory and inscrutable mash-up that repertory cinema programmers around the country have rediscovered for late-night bookings. “Just when you think you’ve nailed down which direction the film is heading in, it completely shatters your notion of the time-space continuum,” says LA art-house The Cinefamily. At the time of its original release, TheVisitoruniversally received poor reviews by mainstream critics including TV Guide who simply called it “junk,” but now, the film stands as “the Mount Everest of insane ’70s Italian movies” (Mondo Digital).
“This film is from another time, another place and another wholly different dimension,” says Drafthouse Films Creative Director Evan Husney, “and contains the highest JDPM (jaw-drops-per-minute) ratio out of any movie we have ever encountered. The Visitor is a repertory mainstay at the Alamo Drafthouse and is truly one of the most joyfully delirious theatrical experiences we’ve unleashed on our audiences. The world wasn’t ready for this film in 1979, and it still may not be. Regardless, we are ecstatic to be able to reintroduce cinema’s most colossally bizarro achievement. Ever.”

The deal was negotiated by COO James Emanuel Shapiro on behalf of Drafthouse Films and Fabrizio Gionaon behalf of the film’s rights holder, producer Ovidio G. Assonitis.

The Visitor is available for theatrical bookings contact VP of Marketing and Distribution sumyi.antonson@drafthouse.com."
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I noticed that Code Red have moved the DVD of The Visitor to the top slot in their store just today.

Looking to sell the excess stock, or proclaim "We still got it for now!" ?

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Is this worth looking at? I can't find it online which is annoying because I like to watch films like this before going ahead and buying it. It's harder to get rid of movies on ebay these day
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

One of my favorite Code Red releases -- if Drafthouse actually have it, I'll definitely upgrade to blu.

Code Red are claiming they have a 10-year deal for the flick, and they've talked to Assonitis, who says he only gave Drafthouse theatrical rights...
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

i wanted to enjoy this one, but just found it incredibly dull. for a movie with so many bizarre elements and plot lines and characters, its surprisingly boring.
dave13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Ptflea2
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i wanted to enjoy this one, but just found it incredibly dull. for a movie with so many bizarre elements and plot lines and characters, its surprisingly boring.
I've heard this complaint before. While I've never seen The Visitor, too many times have I heard it's a chore to sit through, unlike The Manitou which is just as "crazy," but far more entertaining.
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Erick H.
HackMaster

It's played a couple of times at the Carolina Theater's Retrofantasma.The only time I ever saw it was on a latenight CBS screening where it was heavily cut.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I still haven't watched my copy. It was a blind buy and one of those movies where I just don't think I will ever actually watch all the way through. I don't regret buying it but the movie just has "weird" written all over it.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Blu-ray set for January 2014!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12341

"Drafthouse Films has announced the Blu-ray release of the full-length cut of the 1979 sci-fi/horror hybrid The Visitor, starring John Huston, Shelley Winters, Glenn Ford, Lance Henriksen, Franco Nero and Sam Peckinpah. The film is also being re-released in theaters for a limited engagement in major markets this Halloween. The Blu-ray edition is set to follow in January, 2014.

Official Synopsis: Legendary Hollywood director/actor John Huston (The Maltese Falcon; Treasure Of The Sierra Madre) stars as an intergalactic warrior battling alongside a cosmic Christ figure against a demonic eight-year-old girl and her pet hawk, as the fate of the universe hangs in the balance.

In the dawn of '70s American blockbusters, European production companies emerged stateside, attempting to recreate box office gold by cloning Hollywood. The infamous Supreme Court-banned Jaws copy Great White, The Exorcist-esque Beyond the Door and countless others were packaged for export and the burgeoning drive-in circuit. Producer Ovidio G. Assonitis and director/alleged bodybuilder Michael J. Paradise's TheVisitor stands as perhaps the most ambitious of all, taking its inspiration by artfully fusing The Omen, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Birds, Rosemary's Baby, The Fury and Star Wars alongside a baffling cast that includes Shelley Winters (Night of the Hunter), Glenn Ford (Superman), Lance Henriksen (Aliens), Franco Nero (Django) and Sam Peckinpah (director of The Wild Bunch).

The result is not so much a carbon copy of these films, but rather an entertainingly hallucinatory and inscrutable mash-up that repertory cinema programmers around the country have rediscovered for late-night bookings. "Just when you think you've nailed down which direction the film is heading in, it completely shatters your notion of the time-space continuum," says LA art-house The Cinefamily. The Village Voice also calls the film "ridiculously entertaining [and] a schizophrenic mother of all '70's drive-in oddities."

"This film is from another time, another place and a wholly different dimension," says Drafthouse Films Creative Director Evan Husney, "and contains the highest JDPM (jaw-drops-per-minute) ratio out of any movie we've ever encountered. The Visitor is a repertory mainstay at the Alamo Drafthouse and is truly one of the most joyfully delirious theatrical experiences we've unleashed on our audiences. The world wasn't ready for this film in 1979, and it still may not be. Regardless, we are ecstatic to reintroduce cinema's most colossally bizarro achievement. Ever."

The Blu-ray release of The Visitor features a new HD restoration from the original film materials. Complete tech specs and special features have yet to be revealed."
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Lots of behind the scenes drama going on with this. Apparently the producer double-sold the rights (both to Code Red and Drafthouse).

From what I could follow, Code Red spent about $30K bringing the film to disc. They bought the rights for 10 years. Code Red only made about $5K on this release.

The rights holder offered Code Red $3K to forfeit the remaining years, which Code Red declined. So the rights holder went ahead and sold the rights to Drafthouse anyway.

Drafthouse slapped Code Red with a cease and desist, forcing him to remove The Visitor from his storefront. Now "lawyers are discussing".

Bill also mentioned that Drafthouse had pursued the rights to Night Warning in the past.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Blu-ray pre-order (it seems New Video Group is releasing it):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20
Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Blu-ray pre-order (it seems New Video Group is releasing it):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20
Cool, pre-ordered. I don't know if I'd trust that studio detail just yet. When Amazon pre-orders go live, they sometimes list weird studios. New Video Group are probably just Drafthouse's main retail distributor.

Scorpion releases are often shown as "Wea-Des Moines Video" on there for example.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Hold onto your brain, 'cause Drafthouse Films are bringing Giulio Paradisi's THE VISITOR (1979) to blu! Telekinetic eight-year-old Katy finds herself in an intergalactic power struggle between a Christ-like hippie alien and an evil basketball coach. Along the way there's ice-skating bully-bashing, cute cussing kids, eye-gouging bird attacks, and an epic game of Pong. Easily one of the strangest films to emerge from Italy's heyday of exploitation exports, THE VISITOR is one of those films where anything can happen at any time. Equal parts THE OMEN, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and CARRIE, with an all-star cast ranging from John Huston and Franco Nero to Sam Peckinpah and, uh, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, there's nothing else quite like it.

Edited into incoherence by its original U.S. distributor in the '80s, the film didn't see a complete domestic release until Code Red's excellent 2010 DVD (which made my Top Ten of the year list). No word yet on how Drafthouse's hi-def reissue will compare, extras-wise, but they appear to have at least gotten the participation of writer / producer Ovidio Assonitis. Regardless, just the promise of seeing this beautiful film in HD is enough to guarantee my preorder.

Blu-Ray Preorder now live for (3/4/14).
Keep up with the latest release announcements at Cinema Arcana!
http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/2...s-of-note.html

Like these write-ups? Then "Like" the new Cinema Arcana Facebook page to ensure you don't miss any others!
https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcana

Theatrical Re-Release Trailer!
http://youtu.be/Wz193RmbEYc

Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Cover art:

Supplements:
* Trailers
* Interviews with Star Lance Henriksen, Screenwriter Lou Comici and Cinematographer Ennio Guarnieri
Old 12-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Is that the final list of special features, Bruce?

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visitor