Swamp Thing - NO 12 48.00%
Silent Rage - YES 7 28.00%
Silent Rage - NO 7 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
spawningblue
Deadite

Horror or Not? Part 4

Sorry guys, I'm sure you are getting sick of these by now but I had a few more that I wanted to throw out. I love reading people's opinions on why they chose what they did, and so far there have been a few surprises. I think this will be the last one for me, but if anyone has a list of titles they have been curious about, feel free to create your own poll.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
maybrick
HackMaster

I doubt that these polls are really even necessary. All the films that have the most doubt are probably not even going to make it through the wash.

btw, congratulations on successfully throwing my thread by the wayside, you bastard.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I doubt that these polls are really even necessary. All the films that have the most doubt are probably not even going to make it through the wash.

btw, congratulations on successfully throwing my thread by the wayside, you bastard.
Well there have been a few surprises, and some that are really close. I realized after that I should have just did one thread with a long list and let people copy it and change their results to yes or no. Unfortunately I am not that smart. This way is a little easier for me to see the results though.

And I apologize! I will try to make a list for you thread to bump it back to the top.

My Movie Collection

Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
spawningblue
Deadite

Duel - A lot of people describe this as Jaws on land, or vice versa. I feel that is a fair assessment. It is pretty much about a motionless truck stalking a man, so definitely horror.

The Invisible Man (1933) - I said yes, but this could have went either way. Even though it is about a man that goes insane after taking the invisible serum it just feels so different than the other Universal monster movies. It has fun with the idea unlike the other Universal films that have a gothic feel and are trying to frighten you.

The Other (1972) - This movie is like a weird coming of age drama through most of it. It isn't until the last 10 min. or so that the horror elements show, but show they do and in the end it is a horror film.

The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - Depending on the take, this story can be horror or not. Robert Englund or Argento's versions are extreme examples of the horror side. The musical version is hard to argue either way though, as it still pretty much follows the same story or a murderous Phantom, but just done in musical form. In the end I said no, as although it does follow the story, it doesn't ever feel like it's trying to frighten the audience.

The Last Man On Earth (1964) - I said yes, as it's pretty much about a man trying to survive in a vampire infested wasteland. So even though there aren't many murders or scares, the subject matter alone is pretty horrific. Again though, this one wasn't an easy call.

The Last House on the Left (1972) - I actually haven't seen the original so I didn't vote. It sounds like it definitely is a horror film though.

Village of the Damned (1960) - I see many label this as Sci-fi where I feel it is definitely a horror film. I wonder if that is just people not wanting to admit they like a horror film. It definitely has sci-fi elements but I feel the kids are very creepy and it sets out to terrify you.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch - The first one is definitely horror, but I wasn't so sure about this one. Maybe it's because it is a much lighter comedic film than the first, I don't know. Either way I went with horror due to it still being about little creatures killing people, but this one could have went either way for me.

Swamp Thing - I haven't seen this for many years so I didn't vote. I remember it having horror elements but overall not feeling like a horror film.

Silent Rage - I've owned this one for a while now but never got around to watching it. I heard it was kind of like a slasher film with Chuck Norris.

My Movie Collection

Old 06-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
spawningblue
Deadite

This poll seems to be a lot closer with The Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, The Last Man on Earth and Swamp Thing being fairly close.

My Movie Collection

Old 07-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

As much as I hated The Other, it gets on your skin like the glooping stick of humidity. Sort of like I wouldn't consider Cabin Fever horror without this similar feeling, I'll concede it's very good at establishing a feeling of dread.

I've never debated that Maniac or I Spit on Your Grave weren't horror films, so I won't bother arguing that Last House on the Left is.

I actually say both the Gremlins films are horror films. Both films are legitimately scary and lack any sense of a happy ending on the horizon. That said, they owe their existence to E.T. and I never saw that film. The difference between these films and Jaws is that the characters are presented in a very interesting way. They're not Hopes of anything. They're archetypes. But they're not going anywhere. In fact, they were likely headed for ruin if the monsters hadn't basically taken out anyone they had to answer to. You know what I mean? Between the bank and Mrs. Deagle, the whole town was going to lose an entire neighborhood to a heartless land development deal which would have destroyed Billy and Kate's future. In that sense, the movie's almost very Bay of Blood. You know? Which makes sense as a comparison since Joe Dante is a big fan of Bava. And in the various readings of the message behind Bay of Blood, people sort of agree that the killings were almost a natural reaction to the threat against the bay itself. Nature rebelling. So, the Gremlins were almost a similar uncontainable force that wreaked havoc in coincidental response to the threat of corrupt people in the town like Deagle and Gerald. Which is kind of why they didn't kill just anyone in their path. Except for an accident with the police car, they killed an animal abuser and the evil wife of a stock swindler.

As for The New Batch, it's a beautiful orgy. But what really makes it horror is how gleefully wild it is with character and playful it is with evil. In my Greatest Scenes in Horror thread, when I was talking about Upston Pratt in Creepshow, I mentioned soap operas and how they want an epic socially-evil character to impress their audiences. And they're not the only ones. There are dozens and dozens of black comedies and teen movies and shows that tried to do the same thing. Usually with what I'll call the Rose McGowan Type (if she'd been in The Craft, I'd've called her The Dangerous Type ), since she's been directly related to 3 of them. Characters who aspire to social climb as a means to improve their social station or gain a certain reputation for being something they're not in order to take something they haven't (exactly) earned. This is something I was dying to see dealt with in horror (it really does have endless potential to translate into the zombie / demon, occult-supernatural, or mutant-monster subgenres) in all the wasted years spent chaining people to chairs in dirty basements in underground bunkers in the woods before/after raping and torturing them.

So, maybe it means a lot more to me when I think I find that kind of thing in a movie and it transcends into genuine creepiness as well as it is absurdly funny in this film. There could have been a real 3rd movie in watching the Brain Gremlin trying to advance "his race" after they started tearing apart New York City and of course swarmed the streets with no basic border / barricade restricting their breeding. Meanwhile, unlike Se7en where it was a pathetic, self-deluded madman trying to kill people as a way to "wake up" the masses, New Batch sort of walks right up to The Consumer and starts using the stuff they're consuming as a means to terrorize them. In effect, turning the Clamp Center tower into an In the Hills, the Cities giant made instead of all the technological gadgets we've let control our lives. But what's really interesting is watching the cogs turn in the Brain Gremlin's eyes. I think the special effects team did an amazing job getting the eyes to look partially like they're making you an attractive offer and partially like they're making a Pennywise threat to leap onto you and start chowing down. He's sort of a demented ambassador and president of a demolition party.

As for Swamp Thing... I say sure. It's Wes Craven after all, he just wanted to expand the horizon of what could be called horror. I think he proved that when he had the chance- what he really wanted to make were comedies. I don't find Music of the Heart to be particularly dramatic or the characters especially realistic.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote