Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

View Poll Results: What did you think of the Evil Dead remake?
Awesome - great movie 24 36.36%
Good, but not great 15 22.73%
Okay, nothing special 10 15.15%
Terrible, did not like it 12 18.18%
Have not seen it but want to 1 1.52%
Have not seen it and do not want to 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
othervoice1
HackMaster

Evil Dead Remake Poll

With some very positive and negative comments on this movie I thought I would start a poll to get a real idea of what our forum posters think about this movie. I list it as a remake even though I know in some interviews it is supposed to be more of its own movie set in the Evil Dead universe and perhaps not a direct remake.

Last edited by othervoice1; 05-11-2013 at 06:09 PM.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Undeadcow
Stalker

I liked it.
Undeadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I liked it.
Me too!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Hated it, with passion.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
othervoice1
HackMaster

I thought it was a great remake and great as far as a modern horror movie- but not as great as the original <: I am interested to see an uncut version someday
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
NaturesMistake
Stalker

It was awesome. I really want to see it uncut... After seeing it however, I was surprised how well the original's intensity holds up to this one. Nothing in the remake reached the zany brutality of Shelly biting off her own hand IMO. The remake seemed to base the self mutilation of its deadites off this scene, but it was so unexpected and grotesque the first time I saw it in the original. It seemed that the possessed were capable of just about anything. I also thought the voices of the Evil Dead were much more menacing in the original. But... like I said, the remake was an awesome addition to the franchise.

Last edited by NaturesMistake; 05-11-2013 at 09:01 PM.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
russweiss
Maniac

I voted Good but not great. If I didn't have the original to compare it too I may have enjoyed it more. The same was true of The Thing remake/prequel. With another viewing I might like it better.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Hated it, with passion.
I am in this club.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
buck135
The Duke of New York

Having the dog in the film for no other reason than to be beaten to death with a hammer really bothered me. I really love dogs, and that scene bugged me. I thought the film was okay otherwise. The main character was gorgeous considering she was withdrawing from heroin. Seeing it once was enough for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Demoni
HackMaster

When does the remake opens??? I only saw the reboot...
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
maybrick
HackMaster

Didn't like it, but didn't truly hate. It was far too stupid of a movie to vehemently detest. Completely unimportant and throwaway cliche. On a scale from 0 to 10 I'd give it about a 2.5.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Having the dog in the film for no other reason than to be beaten to death with a hammer really bothered me. I really love dogs, and that scene bugged me. I thought the film was okay otherwise. The main character was gorgeous considering she was withdrawing from heroin. Seeing it once was enough for me.
That's what horror movies do, they're meant to bug you. I think it did its job with that scene on you

I thought it was awesome. Some people are really surprising me with their reasons for not liking this. One of the better ones being that this movie wasn't grounded enough in reality
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
That's what horror movies do, they're meant to bug you. I think it did its job with that scene on you

I thought it was awesome. Some people are really surprising me with their reasons for not liking this. One of the better ones being that this movie wasn't grounded enough in reality
Not being grounded enough in reality seems more than enough reason not to like it to me. I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't laugh at it. We all have our own definitions as to what constitutes a "good" movie.

But in my opinion, this remake has the gore aspect down, but it's missing all of the key elements that made the original, and it's much more well loved sequel, "The Evil Dead". It lacks it's soul, it's heart. Drag Me To Hell was a better Evil Dead. Hell, Slither was a better Evil Dead!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Not being grounded enough in reality seems more than enough reason not to like it to me. I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't laugh at it. We all have our own definitions as to what constitutes a "good" movie.

But in my opinion, this remake has the gore aspect down, but it's missing all of the key elements that made the original, and it's much more well loved sequel, "The Evil Dead". It lacks it's soul, it's heart. Drag Me To Hell was a better Evil Dead. Hell, Slither was a better Evil Dead!
Evil Dead 2 is more loved then Evil Dead?
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post

That would only be a good reason if you could say the original was, which it wasn't. That's what makes it laughable.

I thought it carried over most of the key elements for the original quite well. I don't really know what you mean by lacking its heart and soul. The people behind this have a lot of respect for the original and I think it shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Evil Dead 2 is more loved then Evil Dead?
I was under the impression that this was what most fans think. Personally I disagree and like the original more.