Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #61
WesReviews
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Funny how nobody complaints or cries when some Rapper takes an old song and changes nothing but the lyrics.
Uh yeah, who says nobody complains? I don't really agree with that either, but are you suggesting what this dude is doing is okay??

Not really sure how someone can defend an artist who is being paid $700 and upward for ORIGINAL artwork and then only delivering copy and pasted Photoshopped work... putting those who hired him at risk of future lawsuits from the original artists.

The reason his work doesn't have it's own signature style is... he's stealing elements from so many other artists' styles.

To use a pic of an actor as a reference photo as the basis for an original work is one thing, but Slasher Design didn't do that. He took the actual reference piece and inserted it into his "original" design, and then called it his own. Select... Copy... Paste... Taking all of a few seconds, when the original artists took many, many hours to create the original piece.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #62
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Funny how nobody complaints or cries when some Rapper takes an old song and changes nothing but the lyrics.
They usually have to end up paying royalties though…at least for the mainstream shit.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #63
WesReviews
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
They usually have to end up paying royalties though…at least for the mainstream shit.
Exactly.

And when Tupac sampled Bruce Hornsby, for example... he didn't just cross out Bruce Hornsby's name on the song and then try to pass it off as his own. He actually contributed his own voice and original lyrics.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #64
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Uh yeah, who says nobody complains? I don't really agree with that either, but are you suggesting what this dude is doing is okay??

Not really sure how someone can defend an artist who is being paid $700 and upward for ORIGINAL artwork and then only delivering copy and pasted Photoshopped work... putting those who hired him at risk of future lawsuits from the original artists.

The reason his work doesn't have it's own signature style is... he's stealing elements from so many other artists' styles.

To use a pic of an actor as a reference photo as the basis for an original work is one thing, but Slasher Design didn't do that. He took the actual reference piece and inserted it into his "original" design, and then called it his own. Select... Copy... Paste... Taking all of a few seconds, when the original artists took many, many hours to create the original piece.
By today's standards you just described Rap music LOL! I personally do like hip hop music so don't get me wrong. Though I would say 90% of everything Rap is stolen from some old song. Ironically today's mainstream commercial music of choice is hip hop. In other words nobody plays instruments anymore and music a whole is dead. Then the music industries wonders why they can't turn a profit?

Yet we are ready to lynch this Justin Douche bag? Pffffffft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
No allot of times they don't unless they get caught.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #65
WesReviews
HackMaster

BTW... the bottom area of the Lifeforce Blu-ray art looks... familiar. Anyone know where that's from? The shot of people running in panic.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #66
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Milliner View Post
Please, please, please check your facts before posting this kind of statement. Justin Osbourn did the coverart for "Lifeforce". I did however do the coverart for "The Howling." And in regards to The Howling, the heads of the three actors on the cover were referenced from stills from the film--everything else was drawn from my own imagination.
Thanks for clearing that up...love the art work. Great to have you on the boards.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #67
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Though I would say 90% of everything Rap is stolen from some old song.
95% of all statistics are made up.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #68
Chomp

Sounds like Dobbs isn't looking in the right direction for music.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #69
Nathan Milliner
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Francis View Post
I corrected my error a few posts back, after I realized I had the wrong guy. Sorry.
Thanks. It is just that this is such a serious situation and myself and other artists are accidently getting mixed in the confusion and that can have effects on our careers as well. So we are just trying to make sure everyone knows who did what so as someone else said, our names aren't drug through the mud accidently. All's good.
Nathan Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #70
WesReviews
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
BTW... the bottom area of the Lifeforce Blu-ray art looks... familiar. Anyone know where that's from? The shot of people running in panic.
Looks like someone over at Blu-ray.com has uncovered where part of the bottom area came from... NIGHTMARE CITY.

Last edited by WesReviews; 03-13-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #71
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Haha, and it just gets deeper and deeper! F'n amazing.

Also, the clutching hand in the SkeletonWitch shirt is the same as the one in his Chainsaw Disfigurement design (just rotated and shaded differently), which pretty much seals that it's taken from another source.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #72
WesReviews
HackMaster

And the head of the dude holding the chainsaw in the chainsaw disfigurement shirt appears to be this guy...

The image on the right. Reversed for the shirt, though.

Last edited by WesReviews; 03-13-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #73
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Like others have mentioned, rappers pay royalties one way or another. Most do it right, upfront they get permission to use the music and a deal is made with whoever owns the publishing rights. Others try and steal a beat and get sued after the fact, and it's not just for big hits. My band got a cease and desist order for a couple samples (thankfully not sued, and not even for music samples) and I didn't think anyone outside our town had even heard our shit! I think one was from using Platoon quotes in an intro, another for an Ice Cube line mixed into a unrelated song. We were willing to pay if we ever got paid, but neither happened.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #74
hots4
Stalker

the chainsaw disfigurement t-shirt the head being chainsawed looks like the one from the deleted scene in the car park from texas chainsaw 2 (the mouth area anyway) there was a picture of it in fangoria, i don't have access to that any more, anybody got it and can confirm i'm right.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #75
Chomp

Would anyone really wear that Chainsaw Disfigurement shirt? I mean, it’s a cool design, but you gotta have some major balls to buy a shirt like that and wear it out in public.

I wear some pretty wry-ball stuff myself, but I think I’d have to draw the line on that one.