Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
They also added this on Facebook shortly after last week's delay announcement in response to an inquiry about who did the artwork:
Unless it turns out to be a confirmed case of plagiarism, I doubt Shout will do anything. I'm sure not all of this guy's artwork is plagiarist in origin.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Unless it turns out to be a confirmed case of plagiarism, I doubt Shout will do anything. I'm sure not all of this guy's artwork is plagiarist in origin.
Exactly. All of those other works, sure, you can make a case for. But The Lifeforce cover appears to legitimately be a new original piece of art (unless somebody has evidence that it isn't), so why would Shout pull it? They should definitely pull him from future projects, however. It seems kind of daft to knowingly keep on somebody with a tarnished reputation like that.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
7dizbust
Victim

I had to get that Skeletonwitch t-shirt,art plagiarism be damned!
7dizbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
deepred
Maniac

I just purchased two designs he "created" from Fright Rags a couple months ago. The Black Christmas and Basket Case shirts. Sad to see he is ripping off other people's artwork - I thought he was genuinely talented.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
There is no such thing as anything original anymore so I don't see a problem here. Everyone rips off someone else same old shit different day THE END.
There's a huge difference between ripping something off (basing an idea upon) and plagiarism (outright exact copying). And the majority of his 'work' that he's charging people for is straight up plagiarism. THE END.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
There's a huge difference between ripping something off (basing an idea upon) and plagiarism (outright exact copying). And the majority of his 'work' that he's charging people for is straight up plagiarism. THE END.
I don't know if it counts as plagiarism any more than what well known DJs like The Chemical Brothers do. Or Warhol. His work, while derivative, is different enough that it can debatably be called "original". But he is definitely misrepresenting himself to his clients and that is unscrupulous.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I don't know if it counts as plagiarism any more than what well known DJs like The Chemical Brothers do. Or Warhol. His work, while derivative, is different enough that it can debatably be called "original". But he is definitely misrepresenting himself to his clients and that is unscrupulous.
People know what they are getting with dance music and DJs so that would qualify under "ripping off" so to say. But when you pass off material stolen as "original" that's where the line stops.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
deepred
Maniac

I had liked the Slashers Designs FB page - now it's mysteriously missing.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
People know what they are getting with dance music and DJs so that would qualify under "ripping off" so to say. But when you pass off material stolen as "original" that's where the line stops.
Ripping off... Stolen.... I don't get the distinction. I do agree that it's sketchy though. If he was upfront about it, then I don't think it'd be any different than what the Beastie Boys or Beck does. Neither one of those acts ever credit all of the musicians they swipe from, either. It does take true artistry to blend 4 or 5 works into a cohesive whole. 99% of photoshop users can't pull off what Justin Osborne has done.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
Deadlines, the creative process and all.
If you read some of the comments on that website, Ben from Fright Rags chimes in saying that Phantasm piece was proposed to them by Justin to get work from them. FR purchased the design then...no deadline at all, he merely passed that design off as his own.

Some of them really aren't that bad...like the Skeletonwitch shirt and that Hesler Prynne album, but that Phantasm design and the Hammerlord cover are inexcusible. Everything in those two designs was lifted from another artist and then manipulated in Photoshop. Shameful.

Awaiting a response from Justin...this really seems to be causing quite the stir in the metal scene. I'd be real surprised if this guy ever works in the field again.

Last edited by Chomp; 03-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
If you read some of the comments on that website, Ben from Fright Rags chimes in saying that Phantasm piece was proposed to them by Justin to get work from them. FR purchased the design then...no deadline at all, he merely passed that design off as his own.
Yikes. I always thought that the design of the Tall Man looked awful on that shirt - now I know that's because it never was a design of the Tall Man.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
spawningblue
Deadite

hmm, do those astronauts look familiar? At least this time he is stealing from the same property haha.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #28
dave13
HackMaster

im not bothered by the lifeforce artwork. these new scream factory artworks are all collage-style anyway, with lots of borrowing and interpreting of elements from previous images. plus, he's pretty much expected to reproduce the faces of several cast members. all the other stuff is pretty shady, though.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
im not bothered by the lifeforce artwork. these new scream factory artworks are all collage-style anyway, with lots of borrowing and interpreting of elements from previous images. plus, he's pretty much expected to reproduce the faces of several cast members. all the other stuff is pretty shady, though.
Is it really interpreting elments? Those astronaunts are 100% identical. Shouldn't the artists whose direct art is being collaged be checked with first? Maybe they were but I doubt it since Justin hasn't issued a statement and has taken down his facebook page.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

This guy is fishy...why would he take the time to draw everything else, but then Photoshop the little insignificant astronauts into the design?...doesn't make sense.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote