Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #46
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Video Violence is top tier as far as quality SOV films go. Video Violence, The Ripper, and Blood Cult are all pretty “well-made” amateur films in terms of acting and story. They all pretty much hold your attention throughout their entire run times… If you are first getting into SOV films I’d tell you to start there. If you find yourself enjoying them, then I’d say go ahead and branch off into the “acquired taste” SOV films….555, Sledge Hammer, BoardingHouse, Things, etc…then if you have the balls, you can dive deeper into obscurity with films such as Las Vegas Bloodbath, Demon Queen, Mama’s Home, and the Death Nurse flicks…it’s all downhill from there.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #47
SickNick89
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Why not just watch the trailer to get the gist of what BoardingHouse entails?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfCWKorTVMw

It’s an SOV film…the first one ever made to be exact. If you liked Video Violence, Sledge Hammer, or 555. Chances are you’ll probably enjoy BoardingHouse… even though I think BoardingHouse is better than all three of those combined!
Agreed. Boardinghouse is hands down my favorite SOV flick.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #48
Dobby
HackMaster

I honestly can not stomach SOV horror I find most of it to be awful. Other then Sledge Hammer, Boarding House and 555 everything else is shit. I'm quite sure I have seen most SOV flicks and they were garbage. I will say by today's modern shit horror flicks old SOV movies are upgraded to masterpieces.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #49
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Video Violence is top tier as far as quality SOV films go. Video Violence, The Ripper, and Blood Cult are all pretty “well-made” amateur films in terms of acting and story. They all pretty much hold your attention throughout their entire run times… If you are first getting into SOV films I’d tell you to start there. If you find yourself enjoying them, then I’d say go ahead and branch off into the “acquired taste” SOV films….555, Sledge Hammer, BoardingHouse, Things, etc…then if you have the balls, you can dive deeper into obscurity with films such as Las Vegas Bloodbath, Demon Queen, Mama’s Home, and the Death Nurse flicks…it’s all downhill from there.
I'll try and watch a few of those. I've seen Things which had a lot of good effects in it but seemed to want to drag in-between and was totally random at times.

Seen video reviews for Las Vegas Bloodbath and Death Nurse (that's the Crazy Fat Ethel film right?). They looked interesting enough for a view.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #50
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I honestly can not stomach SOV horror I find most of it to be awful. Other then Sledge Hammer, Boarding House and 555 everything else is shit. I'm quite sure I have seen most SOV flicks and they were garbage. I will say by today's modern shit horror flicks old SOV movies are upgraded to masterpieces.
Oh come'on, you like Cannibal Hookers and Demon Queen even!

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #51
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I actually really enjoyed Video Violence 1 (the sequel was kinda boring). If Boardinghouse is of the same "quality" I might have to pick it up.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #52
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Oh come'on, you like Cannibal Hookers and Demon Queen even!
No I'm a completest I want to see experience everything. Even when something is craptacular I still must see it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #53
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
I actually really enjoyed Video Violence 1 (the sequel was kinda boring). If Boardinghouse is of the same "quality" I might have to pick it up.
If by "quality" you mean shot on video, then yes it's the same as the Video Violence films. BoardingHouse is in a league of it's own otherwise. And I love it because of that.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #54
Chomp

Yeah…BoardingHouse makes Video Violence look like Silence of the Lambs. The best way to describe BoardingHouse is this: imagine your sleazy Uncle Johnny renting out his (haunted) bachelor pad to a bunch of hot 80’s babes and then videotaping all the shenanigans…there’s a bunch of talking, laying around by the pool, food fights, and a reeeeaaal classy party with a performance by a band probably consisting of some of the worst musicianship you’ve ever heard.

Throw in some mankini mediation, telekinesis, murder, a poltergeist for good measure, and you have BoardingHouse. Is it a good movie? Fuck no. But it’s a helluva lot of fun to watch the absurdity and ineptitude unfold.

Last edited by Chomp; 03-21-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #55
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

This sounds like it's amazing.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #56
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Yeah…BoardingHouse makes Video Violence look like Silence of the Lambs. The best way to describe BoardingHouse is this: imagine your sleazy Uncle Johnny renting out his (haunted) bachelor pad to a bunch of hot 80’s babes and then videotaping all the shenanigans…there’s a bunch of talking, laying around by the pool, food fights, and a reeeeaaal classy party with a performance by a band probably consisting of some of the worst musicianship you’ve ever heard.

Throw in some mankini mediation, telekinesis, murder, a poltergeist for good measure, and you have BoardingHouse. Is it a good movie? Fuck no. But it’s a helluva lot of fun to watch the absurdity and ineptitude unfold.
Bingo! That's pretty much the most concise way to describe BoardingHouse.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #57
Dobby
HackMaster

Thumbs up

Rare song "sweet lover" that will on the Directors Cut. This tune is jammin can't wait for this release!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-aWJO5hQSg
Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #58
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Holy shit, that tune is actually kind of catchy in an eighties way.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #59
Chomp

Totally tubular...I still can't possibly imagine what makes up this almost three hour long film. If I had to guess it would be more footage of lounging around by the pool?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #60
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Watching a nearly 3 hour version of BoardingHouse may actually cause damage to the eyes, not to mention your mental health. Those video "effects" may cause seizures. The videotape-level PQ doesn't help matters much. Anyone who manages to sit through this should win a certificate: "This certifies that (insert name) was brave enough to sit through an extended version of the worst movie ever made and lived through it. He can't get back the time he wasted but at least he deserves recognition". Hee hee.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote