Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #61
eric_angelus
Testacular

Can't believe I forgot to list this before, but Scarface. Hate it. A lot.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #62
Angelman
HackMaster

I love the first two godfather films, especially the 2nd one but I could totally see how they could leave somebody cold.

What I struggle with is the idea someone could hate them.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #63
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_angelus View Post
Amen! I always thought it was an overrated, overlong piece of shit. Hipster film if ever there was one.
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #64
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Another one I hate is Saving Private Ryan. I love WWII films with a passion, but beyond the opening sequence of that film...it's the corniest soap opera imaginable. I can see why nearly every studio passed on it to begin with.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #65
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

The Butterfly Effect. Box office flop plus the critics hated it.
It seemed like everyone on the internet was drooling once it was released to DVD. I recently re-watched on Blu-ray and the movie is still corny, has a made for TV feel, is unintentional funny and suffering from bad acting.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #66
Marshall Crist
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
I love the first two godfather films, especially the 2nd one but I could totally see how they could leave somebody cold.

What I struggle with is the idea someone could hate them.
More like just boredom for me. There are popular films that I kind of hate on just because I think their popularity is so incredibly unjustified. (SHAWSHANK, LOTR films, etc.)
Marshall Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #67
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
I think what annoys the most about godfather is that when 25 to 30 year olds brag about how its the best thing ever layed down on film. what the f do they know?? Iam 40 and its even way before my time... They are just saying that cause their elders drilled that into them..
People of that age group are more capable of independent thought than you think. A lot of people say the same thing about Citizen Kane or Metropolis, or a thousand other films. Or with music, The Beatles or Elvis Presley. And what about the works of Dali, Monet, Picasso, Michaelangelo? True Art is Eternal. Just because The Godfather didn't happen to be made during a person's life time doesn't mean that it can't affect them just as much as or even more so than contemporary films.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #68
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
People of that age group are more capable of independent thought than you think. A lot of people say the same thing about Citizen Kane or Metropolis, or a thousand other films. Or with music, The Beatles or Elvis Presley. And what about the works of Dali, Monet, Picasso, Michaelangelo? True Art is Eternal. Just because The Godfather didn't happen to be made during a person's life time doesn't mean that it can't affect them just as much as or even more so than contemporary films.
Good point, Psycho is way before my time but I totally grasp its significance as a turning point in screen violence and its socio-cultural impact.
Like The Godfather, it may not be to everyone's tastes, but it is a landmark in film.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #69
Spit
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Transformers
True Blood (TV)
Totally!
Not a lot of love for fight club on this thread...weird.
Personally I always hated Snatch.

When your a drug addict, its important to pace yourself -Bill
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #70
dave13
HackMaster

Night Watch. there seemed to be a lot of hype for this when it came out, some great Russian vampire saga that was going to blow everyone's minds. its the only film i can recall where i actually fell asleep in the theater while it was playing. never bothered with the sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
The Butterfly Effect.
I loathe that film. i remember the buzz being that it was an intelligent sci-fi film, waaaay above what people expected from Kutcher. it's not, on either level. it is a TERRIBLE film. its painfully stupid, and its EXACTLY what I expected from Kutcher.

Last edited by dave13; 02-21-2013 at 05:39 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #71
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Godfather is definitely one of those films for me as well. I used to just hate Coppola in general, but I have actually gone back and fallen in love with Apocalypse Now. And I've tried the same with Godfather a few times and I still just don't get it. Even with all its flaws, I think Once Upon A Time in America is significantly better. Goodfellas, for me the high-water mark for the gangster genre.

Dante Tomaselli's films - I don't know how well their reputation has held up, but I remember when "Horror" came out, he was held up as the next big thing. And, I just never got that. Even gave Desecration and Satan's Playground a shot, but he still seems amateur and silly.

Exorcist - I can get its place in history and the significance that it holds as one of the first blockbusters of horror. But, I have always been surprised that this gets held up as one of the greatest horror films of all times. I think it has some great shocking imagery, but as a film, I find it rather sloppy and uninvolving.

Star Wars - even as an 8 year old kid during the whole phenomenon, I never understood why this was such a big deal. Sure, lightsabers were cool. But that was really all that I dug. I did love Empire Strikes Back though.

Most Comedies - in general, I guess I am very discriminating about humor. But, most comedies, particularly in the past 20 years, normally leave me feeling rather "blah" Even the comedians that I really like, such as Ben Stiller, Steve Carrell, and Tina Fey, rarely make movies that I enjoy as more than disposable time wasters.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #72
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
More like just boredom for me. There are popular films that I kind of hate on just because I think their popularity is so incredibly unjustified. (SHAWSHANK, LOTR films, etc.)
See, that is reasonable to me. I can see boredom for Godfather if someone isn't feeling it. I think Shawshank is very good - mainly because it was so unexpected. I agree with you about the LOTR films, though. First one I was like "Cool!" 2nd one I was like "nothing really happened" and the third one my wife and I could barely stop ourselves from walking out. Overload of effects, and 15 endings just made me check out. Well-crafted films, for sure, and I absolutely get the appeal... just not my cup of tea.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #73
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_angelus View Post
Yes! Hell Yes! Effing terrible.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #74
spawningblue
Deadite

Twilight series - I have no interest in these but I'm not really their demographic so who cares what I think?

Pixar Films - I can't say I hate any of them, but I wasn't really too impressed with any of them either. Actually this applies to just about every CGI kids flick. I'll take stop motion any day of the week.

Hangover 1 and 2, Ted - These films weren't terrible, just not really that funny for all the hype they had.

Resident Evil series - I have only seen the first couple of these but they were pretty bad. Can't believe the series is not only still going but making decent money!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre series - I like these films, but I can't say I love any of them, not even the first film. Too much screaming, yelling, and torturing for my tastes.

Transformers series - Terrible Direction, scripts, and acting. I like mindless fun as much as the next guy, but you can't tell what's going on in these films due to the quick editing, and they have made way more money then they deserve.

Fast and Furious series - I don't hate these movies but I can't believe the series is still going and how much money they bring in!

Independence Day - Definitely doesn't hold up anymore. Will Smith is awful and it's way too patriotic for my tastes.

I Am Legend - Horrible CGI ruined this move.

Any musical - There are a few that I can stand, but for the most part I just can't get into musicals. It takes me out of the film when they stop and sing.

Obviously there are a few exceptions, but anything starring these popular actors is a huge turn off for me: Ashton Kutcher, Channing Tatum, Shia Labeouf, Russell Brand, Rob Schneider, Tyler Perry, Jaden Smith, Chris Kattan, as well as any rappers or wrestlers trying to act.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #75
Body Boy
HackMaster

I am so glad somebody mentioned the Russian film Night Watch from 2004.

Well made, but jumpy and foolish. I felt bad when I gave it a negative review, but then I remembered that I should fuck other opinions. The only thing that matters when I'm writing it is mine.

But two films from a series that I like that nobody else can stand are:

Resident Evil & Resident Evil 5: Retribution.

I think the first is great and 5 is a lot of fun, the best sequel in the series. Many would disagree... which is shocking considering how awful Part 2: Apocalypse is.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote