Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #61
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
Night of the Demons (1988)
Shame on you - this is a fun classic from the 80's - shame shame shame on you! (okay maybe a semi-classic from the 80's <: )
I'm getting the impression you're not being entirely serious when you call "shame" upon me... but, given that there's an extremely unwarranted consensus that this is anything resembling entertaining (remember: this gets a 6/10 on IMDb and Candyman gets 6.5!!!; people draw a .5 distinction between stupid "entertainment" and films with actual substance), I must respond in serious mode:

People clearly attach the word "classic" indescriminately to far too many things. I don't see what in the slightest is classic about a film where no one bothered to write any characters and hired a bunch of talentless "actors" (sorry, Linnea, you bombed big-time here) to ad-lib a bunch of idiotic, obnoxious, LOUD, sexist, shrill ranting about every random thing under the sun. There's no dialogue. No point. Nothing of any conceivable interest is said, and these people couldn't act it anyway, or takes place whatsoever. The effects suck (short of the animated intro). It's not a dark film or scary film. And there's nothing funny about it. Calling every woman in sight a "bitch" is not funny. The "actors" have no sense of comic timing anyway. If anyone thought this was funny, it's because they were 5 and never heard a person curse before. What about the Italian Demons films? If you watch those or Killer Party, there's no need for this. They're the same films only with characters or competent direction (I'll take either after watching this film). Compared to this film, those are semi-classics. And, of course, if I really want semi-competent actors doing random things in a great film, I'll stick to The Return of the Living Dead. Now, that's a classic. (I'll also take Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama over this. A film which, while it's not great, actually had some really interesting ideas: the guy who says "no," the rich white blonde who may be a predatory, sadomasochistic lesbian - I can't recall a better example of against-type writing, and the friendship between a nerd and a biker punk. Why shouldn't I ask for a film to actually TRY to write something or at the very least not be so annoying? By the amount of effort that went into Night of the Demons, and what passes for content, it feels more likely that the director had nothing but contempt for the audience and doesn't love the genre. I could see where people might think this is edgy or nasty but... it's not. Not if anyone performing shows no signs of any skill. However, I did get the impression that the filmmakers had problems. Does trying to guess what those are count as "fun"? Because, I'd just rather not waste my time.)
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #62
Bluenoser
Stalker

October 1
Deadly Blessing - 1981

October 2
Night of the Living Dead - 1990
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #63
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

October 3rd

Movie #8, around 7:30 AM -
Night of the Demons 3 (1997 / directed by Jim Kaufman) -

The second film had characters you were allowed to like, this film does not. But... it is actually smarter with characters. Which is why it is so disappointing to watch it devolve into fucking one-liners and puns. It starts with a vanful of disposable characters being fairly annoying but when they arrive at the convenience store, something resembling an actual point forms. The clerk was a racist who pulled a gun on the black guy, the long-haired asshole in the car actually comes to his defense (sensing the clerk is up to no good and wants to give him trouble because he's black), and after the shootout, the clerk steals the money from the register and plans to blame it on the "reckless" teens. Guess what? The cop-detective guy sees through it, where any other movie would have this guy be a brainless stereotype who just wants blood / revenge / hates the youth, etc. Meanwhile, the dark haired cop on the scene is a shoot-first kind of guy who never intended to be fair with the kids. This is called... WRITING! And, to me, it was also unexpected. The cops are actually characters, though they don't get much screentime. And intelligent decisions were made regarding who they were and what they were going to do according to what kind of person they were. This is then applied to the vanful of teens... for awhile. Sadly, the movie doesn't know how to be smart and have these characters get possessed and attack each other without having to go into CGI and packing itself to the hilt with illogical behavior. Eventually, it gets dumber and dumber until 1 hour has gone by and it feels like 2. Technically, this film made fewer mistakes than the second film but the second film is better.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #64
crikan
HackMaster

You certainly march to the beat of a different drummer DVD-fanatic-9 and that's what makes you an interesting read. Like most here, I find NIGHT OF THE DEMONS and the sequel to be good harmless 80's fun. Easily two of my favorite fun 80's horror movies.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #65
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
You certainly march to the beat of a different drummer DVD-fanatic-9 and that's what makes you an interesting read. Like most here, I find NIGHT OF THE DEMONS and the sequel to be good harmless 80's fun. Easily two of my favorite fun 80's horror movies.
I agree.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #66
cjg
Maniac

Oct 2nd- Chained- 2012
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #67
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

October 2nd:

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)

I flat-out love this one. Outstanding opening, and Milla is at her breathy best throughout. Definitely my favorite of the series so far (altho I've yet to see Retribution --will remedy this week!).
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #68
MorallySound
There is no magic.

October 1st

October Madness #1: Night Vision (1987)
Rating: ★★

A momma's boy moves from Kansas to the big city with writing aspirations in tow. But with the hustle and bustle of the big city and his horse blinder view of the larger, scummier, world he gets caught up in trouble when he saves a street hustler's life and in return is presented with a haunted VCR and television!

A no budget direct to video release from Prism, Night Vision is a really amateur, but campy, tale of a dumb schmuck in the big city. While it does involve a haunted VCR, or VHS tape, Night Vision doesn't play out it's horror elements up front but in the side lines. It's real story is a fish out of water in a new lake who's gotta grow up and learn that the real world ain't so pretty. While it does fail pretty miserably at both, it still has a bit of charm that manages to ooze out from all the terrible acting, plotting, and filmmaking.

October Madness #2: The Witchmaker (1968)

After numerous deaths occur in some moss-ridden swampy marshlands, a professor/doctor and his students hole up in a cabin out in the boonies to study witchcraft and stop the madman who is performing these ritual murders in the name of Satan himself - the one who is the Witchmaker!

Campy late '60s fun that features the typical low-budget over acting by all the amateur over 30 actors. John Lodge as Luther is almost Tor-like, but with a sinister edge. The Witchmaker however does falter quite a bit in it's first half, being too dialogue heavy with bad dialogue and scenes that don't advance the plot. The second half picks up pace and the end offers an unexpected twist that seems to make up for some of the film's misgivings.

October 2nd

October Madness #3: Cemetery Man (1994)
Rating: ★★★

Francesco Dellamorte works at the Buffalora Cemetery where they seem to be having a strange problem, that the dead are returning to life some days after their burials. So he and his dumb assistant Gnaghi must patrol the grounds and kill any undead before the rest of the town finds out about the problem. It is their civic duty! But when he falls in love with a widow and soon she too becomes deceased after an incident with her undead husband, Dellamorte finds himself in deeper trouble as soon the living start dying at his hands, and not just the dead!

Michele Soavi directs this humourous mash of horror, eroticism, and black comedy that bizarrely tells a tale so far out there that it could only come out of Italy, where post-dubbing was king. While it does get quite bonkers in it's third act, Cemetery Man is a film full of surprises, most good but some bad, but also ends up increasingly entertaining despite some things going on for too long. A crazy and fun ride overall.

October Madness #4: Nightmares (1983)

Four tales of horror that were deemed too intense for TV that they were released theatrically! First up, a murderous escaped mental patient stalks the Los Angeles canyons! Then an arcade game with a legendary 13th level becomes all to real for a video game hustler! Next, a priest who's lost his faith is tormented by a pick-up truck from Hell as he attempts to drive through the California desert! And finally a giant Devil rat invades the home of a neurotic wife and absent husband!

Nightmares is a fairly hum-drum anthology horror film who tales are fifty-fifty in the good and bad output. The middle two shorts are the strongest, and funnest, while the 'book ends' are pretty weak and predictable. But the film is not without it's highlights: 'The Bishop of Battle', the second tale, features a young Emilio Estevez and some actually quite outstanding early '80s computer generated effects where geometrical objects destroy an entire arcade. The third tale, 'The Benediction', features a sullen Lance Henriksen and a scene involving a pick-up truck exploding out of the ground that has to be seen to be believed! However, the rest of the film is mediocre and predictable and therefore these Nightmares are only worth half your time because for the other bits you'll likely be asleep.

October Madness #5: Bruiser (2000)
Rating: ★

Henry Creedlow is having a bad day. His wife is cheating on him with his boss, his best friend is stealing money from his investments, his maid is stealing from his new home, and finally he wakes up and appears to have physically lost his identity! So in a murderous rage he seeks out revenge on all those who have wronged him! It's no more Mr. Passive Shrug It Off Nice Guy!

Bruiser, the first Romero film to be shot in Ontario where he would shoot the rest of his future films and move to, is a mess. Romero attempts to spin a plot involving a faceless yuppie, played without gusto by Jason Flemyng, who can't stand up for himself. Combining an almost American Psycho-esque world of vanity and business with a low-rent slasher, Bruiser is a shoddy, uneven, and boring slice of filmmaking. With either over-acted or under-acted performances, a weak script, and cheap digital and practical effects, Bruiser is a big bruise on George A. Romero's filmography.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #69
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
Night of the Demons 2 was released in '94.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #70
JGrendel
HackMaster

Oct 1st: Return of the living dead

Oct 2nd: Cabin In The Woods
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #71
X-human
I ate my keys

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Boggy Creek 2 ( The Barbaric Beast of Boggy Creek, Part 2 ) (1985)

I just realized the monkey filled past two days I've had in October and what started it all off was a whiff of a skunk ape that really stunk. It really sunk in on this viewing for me that they mention the smell of the big foot in this movie which is an accurate description of sasquatch down south. It's always interesting to hear older references reflecting what's being said even today. The boys at MST3k do a good job riffing on its bizarre story and hillbilly zaniness. There's something noble about this film though that tries to make the case for sasquatch's existence and PETA like stance for his rights that's immediately flushed down the drain by its cheap exploitation of the creature.

The Ghost Busters: The Maltese Monkey (1975)

I was about to throw in my Real Ghostbusters cartoons in to fill the daily void but I decided to go with the real real Ghost Busters instead. Bob Burns is a favorite of mine, I even have a model of him and his wife on order. The whole cast is great in these ultra cheap madcap episodes. They use the oldest most stale Burlesque jokes that are even out dated by 1975 standards and god bless them for it. Larry Storch is in a zoot suit for fuck's sake! That's something Shemp would do!

To criticize this episode however they double up Larry Storch in the premiere episode. That's not a good way to go when introducing characters to an audience and there's a scene were Larry's double watches through a crystal ball that's not very what's going on so it could be fairly confusing for such a dumb show. Oh well, I'm certainly not looking for perfection on these ones.

The Ghost Busters: Dr. Whatsisname (1975)

A gorilla outwits Frankenstein's Monster by putting a lamp shade on his head. What's not to love about that? I'm a big Frankenstein fan and so I'm somewhat intrigued and disappointed in this episode. The stitched up chin of the monster and the almost Nazi-esque accent of the Doc are good with some other interesting tid-bits but overall I still wanted more out of it. Again, I shouldn't set me expectations too high. I'm watching some of the dumbest dated humor ever recorded after all.

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)

After Ghost Busters I still felt like watching some really dumb and dated comedy so this fit the bill nicely. I was too tired last year to let this one play out but I was in the perfect mood for it this year. Unfortunately while Knotts' scared routine is excellent here there's very little in the actually haunted house. In fact his best scare act is during a public speaking event. So while we only get a few brief flirts with the macabre I enjoyed this overall.

What's more scary however is that after visiting the haunted house Don Knotts gets to bang on these knockers!

Whaa-aaaa!?!?!?!? God do I love the vintage ladies. They really knew how to make 'em back then. Attaboy, Knotts!

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders (1996)

I almost skipped over this one as it's easy to overlook its macabre elements based on title alone. This is a surprisingly horrific movie for kids and many forget the ancient sorcery aspect of Halloween sometimes which this really captures well. I enjoy the Sci-Fi era of MST3k for its no holds bar tone on movies and Bill Corbet really helped to step up everyone's game in that regard. The skits were also an improvement with so much fresh blood pumped into the Mads. Very glad I took a second look and threw this one in for October.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #72
zompirejoe
Maniac

October 3: Blood and Black Lace / Planet of the Vampires

Two films from Mario Bava that still hold up today, very entertaining !
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #73
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Movie #9, around 3:00 PM -
The Mutilator (1985 / directed by Buddy Cooper) -

I should have taken the hint after the prologue, the intolerable opening credits music, and the utterly stupid "10% Senior Discount" scene. Unfortunately, I got sucked in by how likable the "characters" were. They don't really have character but they're not sexist, aggressive, too obnoxious. They have their fun, they don't hurt anyone. I was ready to give this a coast-along 2.5/5 rating based on the fact that the movie showed us the killer every step of the way and that, along with the robotic music score, sucked out all of the fear there might have been. And then... the movie broke one of my 2 cardinal rules: you do not graphically mutilate a woman's pelvic or genital area onscreen. It is nothing but misogynistic and will always be. And, I think until male genital mutilation is shown as casually (in a film not about revenge - I Spit on Your Grave, Serpent and the Rainbow - or where the murders are all sexual to begin with- Friday the 13th Part IV), you have to agree with me that movies have always been far too casual about sexualized violence toward women. It's NEVER been the same with men. And while I wouldn't really expect men to exactly get up-in-arms if a movie ever did come out where all the murders were specifically hateful of men (Teeth, maybe?; haven't seen it), if a movie like that did exist- I would hold it to this exact same standard. Genital mutilation is a spineless, gutless thing to put onscreen and it's not horror. It's hate.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #74
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post

Movie #9, around 3:00 PM -
The Mutilator (1985 / directed by Buddy Cooper) -

I should have taken the hint after the prologue, the intolerable opening credits music, and the utterly stupid "10% Senior Discount" scene. Unfortunately, I got sucked in by how likable the "characters" were. They don't really have character but they're not sexist, aggressive, too obnoxious. They have their fun, they don't hurt anyone. I was ready to give this a coast-along 2.5/5 rating based on the fact that the movie showed us the killer every step of the way and that, along with the robotic music score, sucked out all of the fear there might have been. And then... the movie broke one of my 2 cardinal rules: you do not graphically mutilate a woman's pelvic or genital area onscreen. It is nothing but misogynistic and will always be. And, I think until male genital mutilation is shown as casually (in a film not about revenge - I Spit on Your Grave, Serpent and the Rainbow - or where the murders are all sexual to begin with- Friday the 13th Part IV), you have to agree with me that movies have always been far too casual about sexualized violence toward women. It's NEVER been the same with men. And while I wouldn't really expect men to exactly get up-in-arms if a movie ever did come out where all the murders were specifically hateful of men (Teeth, maybe?; haven't seen it), if a movie like that did exist- I would hold it to this exact same standard. Genital mutilation is a spineless, gutless thing to put onscreen and it's not horror. It's hate.
I agree with you here, though perhaps not for all the reasons listed, this is a shitty horror film and poor even for the slasher genre.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #75
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
I agree with you here, though perhaps not for all the reasons listed, this is a shitty horror film and poor even for the slasher genre.
Word for word agree.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote