Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	6201  
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #47
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Bit of a dilemma here. Last week, Netflix sent me a 4-movie disc of Italian crime flicks. Kinda taking up my time, as well as limiting what I can get sent to me. I think I might just marathon the remaining crime flicks so I can get that off my plate.
Yeah I have a similar problem. I've been trying to watch all the Oscar winning films and have two sitting here that I got from Zip.ca that I really need to watch so I can get more movies sent to me, but I try to only watch horror in October. Guess I'll have to wait for the weekend and watch them amidst the blood and gore. Bad part is they're pretty long movies too.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #48
Silent Noize
Maniac

October 1st

01. Murders in the Zoo (1933)

October 2nd

01. The Strange Case of Dr.Rx (1942)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #49
gyhorrorfan07
Maniac

October 2nd:

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland (2009)
Dead Alive (1992)
Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror (2007)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)
Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993)
Wild Zero (1999)
gyhorrorfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #50
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Movie #6, around 6:00 PM -
Night of the Demons (1988 / directed by Kevin Tenney) -

Wow... Trick 'R Treat has an 80's equivalent. And it's only mere fractions more tolerable. If you're in love with pointless, entirely funless (and fearless) movies that gladly insult your intelligence and have nothing to offer except one redeeming song (Bauhaus- who's shocked?), some quality dancing choreography (Mimi/Amelia Kinkade, you dance alone), and a little decent mood pissed away on some of the most annoying "characters" this side of Cheerleader Camp, this pile of colon-scoop is for you. However, Satan help me, it is slightly better than Camp too. Now that I've said that (given how truly awful this was), I'm going to go wash my hands off with the nearest blue liquid I can find. Watch Killer Party instead. It's not good either but compared to this- you won't regret the wasted 90 minutes.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 10-03-2012 at 12:50 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #51
indrid13
Stalker

October 1st-

I decided to kick October off with some Amityville Horrors. I started with the cool bonus disc from the box set and then the original Amityville film. Up next is my favorite one of the series.

My Blog
My DVDs
indrid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #52
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

October 2:

Sector 7: I did not like this. I tried watching it in 3D but it wasn't worth it. About 90% of the movie seemed to be cgi and badly done cgi at that and I found most of the movie to be quite boring. I never connected with any of the characters or with anything that was happening.

Creature: Kind of a mess of a movie and not really that much gore (despite what the cover says), but still fun enough to keep me watching.

The Hills Have Eyes Part 2: Okay there's a lot of flashbacks to part 1 but the original stuff is a pretty fun mutants/slasher flick. Always had a soft spot for this one.

Total watched so far: 8
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #53
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Movie #7, around 8:00 PM -
Night of the Demons 2 (1994 / directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith) -

Damn you, sequel! You had so much potential!! Right from minute 1, this thing is cooking- the prologue is incredible: smart camerawork, sharp editing, amusing (if stupid) characters acting out a very critical view of religion. By movie's end? Throw all that out the window. The tyrannical, full-of-shit Sister Gloria who's been nothing short of a silly antagonist for the first hour suddenly becomes an "I kick ass for the lord" hero with ninja skills... This is a classic conflict of interest. Teen sexuality and religion are not shown as a healthy mix here, so eventually the movie begins unwittingly demonizing sexuality and praising the sister's brainless, judgmental view of Godful living. If you have any fun, prepare to die, get the shit beaten out of you, or turn into a demon (only one of which is exorcised and gets to rejoin the cast of the living- future Marcia Brady, Christine Taylor). Also... did we really need all those stupid one-liners? No. We didn't need any of them. Ug. However, the first hour works quite well. The cast is excellent, some of the effects are good, the characters actually have a little development to them. And, since the sister was the bad guy and the movie gave us a good Priest to balance out her judgmentality (I don't care if that's a real word or not, I'm using it)- religion wasn't totally disrespected. But given how reasonable his character was and the lengths to which the movie goes to show how wrong and stupid he is- Good Religion never stood a chance.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #54
othervoice1
HackMaster

October 2:
A Nightmare on Elm Street - 1984 (blu)
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #55
othervoice1
HackMaster

Quote:
Night of the Demons (1988 / directed by Kevin Tenney) -

Wow... Trick 'R Treat has an 80's equivalent. And it's only mere fractions more tolerable. If you're in love with pointless, entirely funless (and fearless) movies that gladly insult your intelligence and have nothing to offer except one redeeming song (Bauhaus- who's shocked?), some quality dancing choreography (Mimi/Amelia Kinkade, you dance alone), and a little decent mood pissed away on some of the most annoying "characters" this side of Cheerleader Camp, this pile of colon-scoop is for you. However, Satan help me, it is slightly better than Camp too. Now that I've said that (given how truly awful this was), I'm going to go wash my hands off with the nearest blue liquid I can find. Watch Killer Party instead. It's not good either but compared to this- you won't regret the wasted 90 minutes.
Shame on you - this is a fun classic from the 80's - shame shame shame on you! (okay maybe a semi-classic from the 80's <: )
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #56
Gore Lunatic
Violenza Carnale

Halloween (1978-TV ver.)

Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #57
zompirejoe
Maniac

October 2 - Sector 7, The Traveller, 30 Days of Night
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #58
Undeadcow
Stalker

September 30
1. Kuroneko (1968, 99 minutes) 4/10 - Kuroneko was a lot sillier than I expected but atmospheric and although enjoyable was inconsistent including some slapstick cheesiness mixed with musings about samurai philosophy, chivalry, and family. Supernatural elements were set-up then dropped and things over explained at times.[Online streaming, Hulu Plus][/color]
2. The Birds (1963, 119 minutes) 6/10 - gets off to a slow start, but the silent menacing birds are eerie around mid-point paying off with good tension and great imagery but ultimately disappointing due to pacing and unsatisfying close. [DVD, personal collection]

October 1
3. Vamp (1986, 93 minutes) 6/10 - cheap fun, pretty tame for a strip club vampire movie but some cool bloodsuckers and a modern buddy comedy spin. , [Blu-ray, personal collection]
4. House of a 1000 Corpses (2003, 89 minutes) 5.5/10 - at times inventive but other times too strained to be shocking but comes across as awkward. It gets intense, good but not great. [Blu-ray, personal collection]
5. Murder Party (2007, 80 minutes) 8/10 - smart, funny, and chaotic fitting an albeit under-appreciated modern horror classic. Murder Party was a great intro to the challenge with good energy, clever set-up, and tons of gore. [DVD, personal collection]
6. The Manitou (1978, 104 minutes) 7/10 - simultaneously horrible and amazing in part because of how unashamed it approaches the evil native american tumor source material. Tony Curtis is great in The Manitou and it ends up being the most abstract absurd film yet this challenge. [DVD, personal collection]

October 2
7. Gutterballs (2008, 96 minutes) 6/10 - a mean spirited low brow horror slasher comedy that is hard to recommend but I enjoyed its explicit over the top tongue in cheek humor. [DVD, personal collection]
8. Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964, 87 minutes) 7/10 - more transparent and therefore ironic than I expected with some comedic southern stereotypes. The muted colors and worn look give a nice presentation. Superior to the remake. , [Blu-Ray, personal collection]
9. Blood Feast (1963, 67 minutes) 5.5/10 - By reputation I imagined this was a pointless gorefest but despite some overacting it's played more seriously than I'd have expected with police procedural elements. The off color bright gore is dated so more time-capsule interesting than gross. It is mildly annoying that pivotal plot points are just resolve at times. [Blu-Ray, personal collection]
10. Mill of the Stone Women [Uncut European Version] (1960, 96 minutes) 8/10 - Subtle suspenseful build up with good set design and direction that is artfully crafted and chilling., [DVD, personal collection]
11. The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu (2009, 79 minutes) 4/10 - excellent premise but overly silly awkward humor and some aspects that seem cloned from better projects; too much teen comedy, too little lovecraftian horror. There's as much reference to fish rape as Lovecraft and horror elements feel downplayed at times but it's a clever and ambitious plot when not cheapened. [DVD, personal collection]
12. Brainiac [aka Baron of Terror] (1962, 77 minutes) 3.5/10 - cheesy monster movie that has an interesting set-up then flounders with slow pacing despite it's short run time. Potentially cool monster is under utilized, perhaps to it's benefit due to obviously fake effects, and there are glaring plot holes., [DVD, personal collection]
13. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948, 83 minutes) 8.5/10 - The mix of straight horror elements and slapstick comedy work well together and feel like 2 films staggering back and forth in a way respectful to the horror monster theme while still being Abbott and Costello centered. Nicely done. The blu-ray looks good. [Blu-ray, personal collection]
Undeadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #59
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

10/02/12 Filmcount: 2

Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

Silly and self-ware, missing charm and atmosphere from part 1. Still entertaining with lots of fun movie references. 4/5

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #60
Gore Lunatic
Violenza Carnale

Apartment 143